Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And this is fair?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

And this is fair?

Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
edited October 2012 in General

Sorry but im a little sick of seeing ChicagoVPS (Namely Chris) posting his promotional BS on other providers posts and features.

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/spotvps-5-99month-2gb-openvz-vps-in-las-vegas/#comment-83734

This wouldn't be allowed on any other site so i don't see why it is here. I remember @Chief complaining about VPSNodeBox begging attention in their own threads, Chris is easily 10x worse going out of his way to make promotions to take advantage of others misfortune etc.

How long is this going to go on for without anything been said?

Fair enough ChicagoVPS are good at what they do, but that doesn't give them the right to pull such shady tactics.

Comments

• Whoa, that looks really shady!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

This is a consumer site so, I guess that anything goes as long as the consumer benefits in price, features or quality of service, even providers competing and undercutting each other.
    At least this is how I thought things are working.
    M

• DrakeorDrakeor Member
    edited October 2012

Yeah, I agree that is a little low of them to be attacking other providers like that.

To be honest, I wouldn't sign up with a provider that posted BS like that.

Thanked by 2Spirit Randy
  • @Maounique said: This is a consumer site so, I guess that anything goes as long as the consumer benefits in price, features or quality of service, even providers competing and undercutting each other.

At least this is how I thought things are working.
    M

For real, lets see if you say that when i post an undercut offer on prometeus (Not that i would) but i know 100% you would have something to say.

• ZiggaZigga Member
    edited October 2012

Personally I think its shady, most providers use LEB as a soapbox. They wait in line to get a turn. When Chris just posts I won't be undercut here's a promo code undercutting a competitor it undermines the value of LEB.

Saying that Chris could have come on LET to publish his offer but its all about #Winning

Disclaimer: I don't have services with any of these hosts! I have one pony 128 and its my opinion.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2012

Actually, prometeus doesnt look to undercut others, never did, you probably know Uncle does not have the lowest prices, even with wild promotions.
    This does not mean I do not understand why this is allowed, not that I say is a good or bad thing, this is a consumer site. People will see what providers do and make their own judgement.
    As LET is moderated only when things really go out of hand with threats on family members or things like those, I think LEB is equally liberal, this is not something forbidden, nor I would like it forbidden, I am sure no amount of moderation and vetting will be able to protect ppl from making wrong choices with providers.
    I am on the line that everyone should be able to judge for themselves, LEB/LET/WHT should be here only to present more offers and great deals, it is up to the consumers to organize, review and pick up the right one.
    TL;DR: Fair ? No. Should be forbidden ? Still no.
    M

• @Maounique said: Actually, prometeus doesnt look to undercut others, never did, you probably know Uncle does not have the lowest prices, even with wild promotions.

When did Prometeus hire you?

• So if i was to go and post a link to GetKVM on every single LEB post, would i get banned or is that cool as well?

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Whilst it might not have been fair on SpotVPS for Chris to go and post something like that, do you guys not think it's good for the LEB community as a whole?

The SpotVPS offer probably wouldn't have ever been made (or at least with those RAM allocations) if Chris didn't have his $7 2GB deal. Fact of the matter is, as consumers, we love getting hold of a VPS with loads of RAM for as cheap as we possibly can.

By Chris offering up his 2GB package for only $5, that just sparks even more competition, and will encourage others to either undercut him (as SpotVPS have) or try and match that price as closely as they possibly can.

All in all, it should in theory result to more high ram/low cost options for consumers... obviously that isn't always the case, as unfortunately it might also encourage dead-pooling... other than that though, this can surely only be good for consumers? Is competition such a bad thing?

Thanked by 1titanicsaled
  • Competition is good, it's what makes prices lower for the consumers. Chris is a lot more aggressive about it than most, but he does actually seem to have a decent quality service to back it up, so I say fair play to him. If he overdoes the overpromotion, it'll only come back to bite him, so I don't see an issue, it's not like he's spamming up every thread there is with offers.

• Competition isnt a bad thing, ruining peoples offers and undercutting them is not.

Lets say Tesco decided to flyer their promotions allover the front of Asda, would it happen? Nope, would Tesco probably get sued, yup.

• @Liamwithers: ofcourse we love competition but you miss the keyword here: healthy competition

• And for the record, lets say it was DewlanceVPS doing this, there would be one hell of a shit show right there. What im getting at is why is Chris any different, he should follow the rules like everybody else.

Thanked by 2Spirit Taz

@cosmicgate what would you class as healthy competition?

For me I see Chris' post as healthy competition for consumers, as it wasn't posted as an individual offer to draw loads of people in, it wasn't posted on here.. it was a simple post, which probably wouldn't have been seen by that many people, which means it's not going to be putting SpotVPS out of business or making every other provider panic.

I understand that for SpotVPS it might be far from ideal, but I'm sure they don't rely purely on a LEB offer post to bring in their customers.

• @liamwithers said: I understand that for SpotVPS it might be far from ideal, but I'm sure they don't rely purely on a LEB offer post to bring in their customers.

You would be surprised at the exposure one LEB post gets.

• Hey I think it is classic. We should encourage this sort of behavior, not discourage it. Consumers win.

I am a ChicagoVPS customer and have been for oh, approaching a year.

Hopefully ChicagoVPS offers existing customers the deal, when and if asked. Yeah, I just asked.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited October 2012

@pubcrawler said: Hey I think it is classic. We should encourage this sort of behavior, not discourage it. Consumers win.

So basically, as long as your saving money you don't give two f***s about the business of others or their family's etc. Nice.

Thanked by 1pubcrawler

@GetKVM_Ash said: So basically, as long as your saving money you don't give two f***s about the business of others or their family's etc. Nice.

Hate to sound harsh, but to be completely honest with you Ash, I would have never spotted the post that Chris put up on SpotVPS's offer. Now I'm tempted to take him up on it, because 2GB for $5 is pretty awesome.

Not sure if genuinely trying to combat what Chris has done, or intentionally giving his offer more publicity?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2012

@pubcrawler said: Hey I think it is classic. We should encourage this sort of behavior, not discourage it. Consumers win.

Of course, as long as you save a dime, it's perfectly acceptable to trash other providers without providing any reasonable criticism, and to hijack a promo thread. How could I have missed that.

EDIT: For those that need it, here's the [/sarcasm] tag.

• @joepie91 said: Of course, as long as you save a dime, it's perfectly acceptable to trash other providers without providing any reasonable criticism, and to hijack a promo thread. How could I have missed that.

EDIT: For those that need it, here's the [/sarcasm] tag.

Finally a man that speaks sense.

• I find it unethical. Otherwise what's the point of offers for specific providers? Everyone might as well jump in to everyone's post and be 5cents cheaper and get free advertisement.

Consumers sure always want something cheaper / better value, however...

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • @GetKVM_Ash, face it this is a low cost service network of sites. We even have pricing limits on the offers to be considered.

In many ways, all providers, including you are undercutting all those more common or standard pricing businesses.

I imagine all those companies have the same view of your company and all providers here, "as long as your saving money you don't give two f***s about the business of others or their family's etc."

• @pubcrawler said: In many ways, all providers, including you are undercutting all those more common or standard pricing businesses.

Obviously we set prices in line with competition (That's how marketing works), but we certainly wouldn't advertise on another providers topic and it certainly wouldn't happen anywhere else other than the internet.

People don't set up stalls selling coffee outside Starbucks, do they?

• For me, there should be a level of respect between providers.

• @GetKVM_Ash, I loved how you are trying to make sense to a guy who just don't want to understand

• as long as you save a dime, it's perfectly acceptable >

Heck a dime? ChicagoVPS sells plans discounted at $7.95, down from $24.95 original price. Now they'll sell at $5? By my counting that is saving $19.95 off the original price or $2.95 off the discount.

Those savings are significant.

Where's that $2.95 savings heading? Probably to another provider on here. I buy lots from folks on here.

I find it unethical >

Ahh ethics. Yeah, I find it umm, poor taste. People are going to resort to whatever they feel necessary to promote sales. At least ChicagoVPS hasn't taken to email spamming folks for lead generation.

Glad these sites are more organic and wild west than WHT.

• @jcaleb said: For me, there should be a level of respect between providers.

Between a few of us, there is. Just not where Chris is concerned.

• @serverian said: @GetKVM_Ash, I loved how you are trying to make sense to a guy who just don't want to understand

I know, my head is pounding from this brick wall :P

• People don't set up stalls selling coffee outside Starbucks, do they? >

That's because building, zoning and local codes disallow that.

Equivalent here would be enacting more rules prohibiting such cross or counter ad posting. I think it would stifle posting and lead to more babysitting of comments and drive down user posted contributions in general. Chief and the operators can choose what they will.

BTW: Starbucks arguably doesn't sell coffee. They sell pretentious environment to be seen drinking over priced coffee within.

Starbucks is akin to me buying the full rate $24.95 ChicagoVPS to appear cool to VPS folks here.

I'll stick to my $5 discount VPS and my 89 cent cup of gas station coffee.

• @pubcrawler said: At least ChicagoVPS hasn't taken to email spamming folks for lead generation.

No, Chris just spams ChicagoVPS customers to "connect" with him on LinkedIn.

This discussion has been closed.