Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poor performance, extended downtime for Berry servers (Epidrive)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Poor performance, extended downtime for Berry servers (Epidrive)

I've had one of their Strawberry (96MB) servers since early Jan this year. No real problems until recently and my uptime used to be in weeks or months. But then again I don't really stress out their servers. I only run a personal proxy and do some minor shell scripting.

Then a few days ago, my server stops responding, so I logged onto solusvm to check. Solusvm itself was very sluggish, and nothing seemed to work; clicked reboot and it'd respond "server rebooted" but nothing was actually happening. Same story for "reinstall OS". Serial console (emergency console) did not work either.

I filed two tickets but no response for over 48 hours, except the canned "we've received your email" auto-reply.

Then after 2 days, I see this:

Hello,

>

We were experiencing DDOS attack with one of our main vps node. We worked hard with our
Data Center team and mitigate the attack. All services should be up and responding now.

>

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

>

Kind Regards,
Miqdad A.
Berry Servers - Support

At this point, my server is back up but but it is extremely sluggish and basically unusable. Seems like they are still under attack?

Even something simple like typing “Iptables -L” takes over FOUR minutes to complete, with results coming through like I’m on a 300 baud modem, and I only have about 20 rules for Iptables! I’m not even going to try running more complicated benchmarks.

So I'm not going to continue with them and have cancelled auto-renew payment (thank god for paypal). A disappointing end after nearly 1 year service.

They do offer refunds, but really, should I chase them for a pro-rata refund for 3 weeks? LOL

Comments

• Lemming said: They do offer refunds, but really, should I chase them for a pro-rata refund for 3 weeks?

No.

• @Lemming I am very sorry this has to happen to you. We are working hard on assisting all our clients right now as we are really undermanned at this point in time. Unlike other companies, we are only a three-man team, Miqdad, Christian, and me. But Christian is out on vacation.. Which leaves Miqdad and me doing all the job. To make things even worse, your node has been a target of ddos attack and it is usually christian's job to mitigate these attacks and coordinate with the parties involved, so it took us a bit of time for me and miqdad to manage and have this under controlled.

No reasons, I know a 48h response time is still not acceptable, if you can give me your ticket ID I will make sure to give you priority support on this matter or a pro-rate refund if you still require. We value your business and I hope you can still continue to trust us after this.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Lemming said: Even something simple like typing “Iptables -L” takes over FOUR minutes to complete, with results coming through like I’m on a 300 baud modem, and I only have about 20 rules for Iptables!

That was an epic visual. Nice.

• My VPS has had 93% uptime the last 30 days according to UR:

• EpidriveEpidrive Member
    edited December 2015

@k0nsl we are trying our best to keep our uptime to 99%, rest assure we'll do our best to have the performance better in the days to come. We value your business k0nsl. Thanks

• Thanked by 1jar