Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running windows on a linux VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Running windows on a linux VPS

titanicsaledtitanicsaled Member
edited August 2011 in General

I recently bought a volumedrive linux VPS with 1gb ram 2gb burst. I would like to know if anyone has ever managed running a windows virtual machine on top of the linux VPS in order to run windows applications. The reason for this is that I have a windows server 2003 image and also a legitimate licence and it seems ridiculous to pay all the extra cash to get a windows vps with worse specs than a linux one.

Comments

• No, you can't ^_^

• What about using wine?

I personally don't have a clue. Just throwing that out there.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I think what he is saying is running another virtual environment inside the linux VPS, which I believe is not achievable. Or is achievable but really impractical and will be really crap in terms of preformance.

• Humza said: I think what he is saying is running another virtual environment inside the linux VPS, which I believe is not achievable. Or is achievable but really impractical and will be really crap in terms of preformance.

You can do this in xen/kvm hvm iirc.

Volumedrive uses openvz.

Yep, exactly. Why not just get an Xen-HVM / KVM / VMware VPS.

• KuroKuro Member

I've never tried this before, but I've heard that you can run QEMU on an OpenVZ VPS. If you can, then you should be able to run Windows within QEMU. Probably will be very slow though.

• I have managed to get a linux vps with thehosthouse.co.uk now which they have loaded my windows server 2003 iso on.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited August 2011

NickM, posted this rather funny image a while back.

Yo-Dawg VM

Seriously though, your machine would crawl if you tried to run a Windows VM inside a Linux VM.

Lol, exactly, why not run the specific program in wine? What is it that you want to run?

• nvm, I have it all sorted now (my post above ). Wine wouldn't run the program I want to run which is Phoenix Emulator 3 ( a habbo hotel retro emulator). Mono wouldn't run it either.