Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Task/todo list - Opinions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Task/todo list - Opinions?

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited October 2012 in General

screenshot

Yet another piece of software I'm working on. What do you guys think about the layout?

Thanked by 3bnmkl Amfy Spirit

Comments

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Personally I'd prefer new tasks, current tasks and finished tasks on separate tabs. But that could be just me.

• NexusNexus Member
    edited October 2012

@liamwithers said: Personally I'd prefer new tasks, current tasks and finished tasks on separate tabs. But that could be just me.

Same here, would clean up and give more room on the main page too.

I like the icons but I do not like the textbox outer shadow color.

It's looking pretty neat so far, good luck with it. :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Raymii, love your work and website.

This interface looks alright. Columns to sort things should be built in feature.

Finished task "preview" on main page is fine if this support multiple people working from same list. Otherwise, bounce it to separate page.

• @liamwithers @Nexus Something like this, with tabs?

screenshot

@pubcrawler thanks :) - Columns are sortable by default. This is intended to be used by one person, but can be used by more. In the next version I'm planning to add categories/contexts, so that you can define it even more.

Thanked by 1netomx

Yeah, much prefer that. And whilst I know it should say "Trash Bin".. I actually prefer it being a "Thrash Bin"... just makes me wanna put on some METAL!!! Which can never be a bad thing :D

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • Looks great! I would actually use this if you release it ;)

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited October 2012

@StormVZ of course it will be released, BSD license, just like all my projects. Probably tomorrow, just finishing up the last details.

@liamwithers Anthrax bin? Slayer container? Megadeth folder :P

@Raymii said: @liamwithers Anthrax bin? Slayer container? Megadeth folder :P

Oh don't... it's not late enough in the day for me to have naughty times yet. You're exciting me. <3

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited October 2012

Not being an ass, but Google Tasks and RememberTheMilk are pretty much that I think. Using them for a while now.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@djvdorp said: Google Tasks

How about a Google Tasks integration and email reminder? ;)

• You guys sure love to complicate things. I use a text file called TODO.txt.

Thanked by 2plueschopath jamson
  • @netomx RememberTheMilk does mail. I think integration too.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@djvdorp said: RememberTheMilk does mail. I think integration too.

but I don't see there is opensource :P

• @rds100 said: You guys sure love to complicate things. I use a text file called TODO.txt.

TODO.txt, AGENDA.txt, PASSWORD.txt, BOOKMARKS.txt, NSFW.txt, ...

<3

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@rds100 said: You guys sure love to complicate things. I use a text file called TODO.txt.

I used to write it on paper a month ago ;)

However found a nice app that works on my phone and on my PC, so I can eventually add items to that list on the go, much more efficient.

• I just use the bug tracker that I already use.

• hostdoghostdog Member
    edited October 2012

It's a tool that can come handy. It's good to have this info online and can check from everywhere.
    On the other hand you can do a Google Drive "Excel" file and check from there.

@Raymii I really like the HTML5 Kickstart Framework. Did not know about it. Thanks!

• Looks good. How big will application be? How about a field "For" with a contact name. Maybe add a column for either an account or a client name.

Also, something that would be great is if you could make tasks into a template that can be added all at once. New website project has 5 tasks and all 5 tasks are created

• @rds100 said: You guys sure love to complicate things. I use a text file called TODO.txt.

I just checked the datestamp on my todo.txt: 12/15/2006

:)

• @david what, you retired 6 years ago? ;-)

• I've been using windows sticky notes lately.

• @djvdorp said: Not being an ass, but Google Tasks and RememberTheMilk are pretty much that I think.

You're not an ass. You have one, I hope :P. I know that there are a bazillion pieces of task/todo list software, local, cloud, win/mac/lin out there, but not any that I like. And I've tried a lot of them. Also I prefer to keep control of my data, I like the look of HTML5 Kickstart and it gives me some programming experience.

And nobody is forcing you to switch or to use it, if you have something that works for you, and you do not want to change, then just keep using that.

Wrote something for in the README.md:

Why use this over something like remember the milk, wunderlist or any other cloud service?

• No ads
    • Nobody selling your data
    • Nobody monitoring your activity
    • Data is easy to get out (no vendor lock-in) and to backup.
    • Offline mode? Host it on your local machine with a LAMP/WAMP/MAMP server.
    • Sync? Use a syncing service on the hosts (owncloud and sparkleshare are quite good) and point the program to a json file in that folder.
    • Offline sync? Combine above 2 points, or put the software in a git, svn or other version control system repo.

@svgnamy said: Looks good. How big will application be?

remy at local-2 in ~/repo 
    $ du -h -d 1
    1.5M    ./tasks.php
    3.0M    ./codenamegeld
    2.7M    ./nutsmanager
     39M    ./raymiiorg

@netomx said: How about a Google Tasks integration and email reminder? ;)

Email reminders are a planned feature.

@plueschopath said: PASSWORD.txt,

You do know that @joepie91 will rage on you for posting that?

@hostdog said: It's a tool that can come handy. It's good to have this info online and can check from everywhere.

On the other hand you can do a Google Drive "Excel" file and check from there.

All roads lead to Rome right?

• Oh, by the way, released it:

https://github.com/RaymiiOrg/tasks.php

Thanked by 1martip07
  • :D ......... you always make good things .... really awsome :D

Just one question, License?

• @martip07 said: :D ......... you always make good things .... really awsome :D

Just one question, License?

https://github.com/RaymiiOrg/tasks.php/blob/master/license.txt

Copyright (c) 2012 Remy van Elst
    Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
    of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
    in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
    to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
    copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
    furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
    all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
    IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
    AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
    LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
    OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
    THE SOFTWARE.

• @martip07 said: 404 - Not Found :(

Works from here, deploy to cluster was successfull and the file is on all the 9 hosts. Try the github zipball if it keeps failing.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I am okay with this :)

/me downloads

• @raymii thanks for the heads up. I like the idea of being in control too. Might give it as shot! Thanks for all your effort and sharing :)

• So its allowed to modidy it, modify things like:_ language, themes and lets see rewrite it with oython + django but including the license?