Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problem with LET on Mobile Devices - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Problem with LET on Mobile Devices

2»

Comments

• Oh aye, there's no doubt that the iPod is probably the best at what it does. But make no mistake, it only does 'what it does' one very specific way, and it will not change to suit your preferences :P

I'm a customization freak (severe OCD, however you want to call it... hence why I use fluxbox and KDE). With apple products so -limited- in what they can really do outside of a very specific scope, combined with my absolute contempt for any company as apathetic towards its clients as Apple is, and that is pretty much the sum of my bias against them.

• Totally agree Aldryic. I had a chance to get an iPhone 4 instead the iPod but I don't like iOS for MY mobile phone u_u

But the iPod is a killer gadget to have fun =)

• iPod Touch is actually one of the best MID device at the moment -- capacity touch screen, high res LCD, access to Apple's AppStore -- if you don't mind Apple stuff (which some of us indeed have issues with). I don't mind getting one to test mobile web apps for work, except I can't bring myself to install iTunes on my computer.

However if you are looking for Android-based devices, you have a huge range of Chinese knock offs at very low price range, and last generation of handsets at reduced price. Not sure about US, but where I'm from heaps of people buying outright phones rather than getting carrier-subsidised phone with long term contracts. Got a Acer Liquid Metal (800MHz Snapdragon, 512MB RAM) for ~$130 + $20 for a SanDisk 16GB microSDHC -- great media player on the cheap :)

• I prefer to purchase phones outright as well. Typically from manufacturers, though (I have a bit of a thing for HTC, haven't had a non-HTC phone in six years).

• Since this morning the mobile layout appears to have changed. Some things look a lot worse than they used to...

• Samsung are full of shit right now, their copying other company's. The Galaxy II looks like a obvious rip off, even the button thing down the bottom

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2011/10/18/ouch-samsung-caught-using-an-iphone-screenshot-to-promote-its-own-device/

It is possible to replace the Window Manager in OS X from WindowServer to GNOME or KDE, but you loose cocoa apps unless you run it beside it

• @Daniel said: Samsung are full of shit right now, their copying other company's. The Galaxy II looks like a obvious rip off, even the button thing down the bottom

And?
    I don't care

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited November 2011

@yomero

I was referring to some of the apple-is-fully crap related comments,

If you don't care, don't bother to reply, because I don't care you don't care

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

@Aldryic why are you suggesting to me to spend more money than what I was planning on? I'm looking at an iPod Touch because it's cheaper than getting a full blown phone. I don't want a phone. People will just bug me at 3am.

I don't have that kind of money to go out and blow $500 for a single device. That's wh I'm looking at one for $239.

Maybe you need to do some research and review what I wrote.

• @Aldryic said: Do some research, maybe? Pretty much -any- smartphone from 2004 and onwards will do what you want.

@Aldryic said: I have an HTC TP2 in fantastic condition that I would be willing to part with for 200.

I'm suggesting that you do some research, and perhaps use common sense for a change.

Since you appear to need this hand-holding, allow me to be frank with you. Go to XDA-Developers, and other mod-based communities that do extensive work with WM and Droid phones. Browse around until you find a phone that you think would suit your desired purposes. Go to ebay, craigslist, etc to find said phone (as I already mentioned, plus re-quoted just for your convenience, I happen to have a device I would've been willing to part with for under your desired budget), purchase said phone or mobile device, and use as a PDA without activating a SIM card.

If having to beat you with the obvious is offensive, then you have my condolances. The only other advice I can give you there is to either toughen up, or learn to read for context the first go around and avoid putting yourself in such a position.

• I haven't tested it, but will sometime soon.

• @Aldryic I realize that your bigotry towards me is clouding the issue but I didn't ask you to do research for me. I just asked for a link because it sounded like you knew what you were talking about. Excuse me for assuming that you did.

I won't waste your time anymore.

• @drmike said: your bigotry

@Aldryic hates all equally, don't think you are special

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

Thank you Tim but I'm dropping the issue. I PM'ed him like he hinted at to detail the issue and the situation but if it didn't sink in previously....

I have better things to do anyway.

edit: Screw it as it;s already 10. Should have left 2 hours ago anyway but was trying to get some work done.

• @miTgiB said: @Aldryic hates all equally, don't think you are special

You do care <3

:P

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited November 2011

You know, @drmike, another option also comes to mind. If I'm understanding correctly, you're currently stuck using public hotspots to get online and get work done; with a Windows Mobile or rooted Droid phone (unlimited data is a relatively cheap option in the US), you can easily use the phone as a USB-tethered 'aircard' with little difficulty. Would beat having to hang out on park benches, and it might even be feasible to have it put under your company budget.

(Currently using this exact setup with my netbook+HD2 while I'm at the laundromat)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Yo dont even need root on android, there's the hotspot.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited November 2011

If Mexico weren't an insecure country, everybody could use their laptops in the streets u_u.

Even I don't use my phone too much in the street. And @netomx can verify this =(

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Well... I am not too much in the street :P

• @drmike -- as Aldryic has suggested, a last-gen Android phone would be more flexible and cheaper than an iPod Touch, and cell connectivity is also a bonus. You don't need the phone to be rooted -- plain vanilla Android 2.2+ all have Wi-Fi hotspot or USB tethering support. You don't need to go for the branded ones as well. Acer, ZTE, Huawei -- those all have nice phones at bargain price.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Where's the thanks button in the mobile version gone?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited November 2011

@LowEndAdmin said: a last-gen Android phone would be more flexible and cheaper than an iPod Touch,

Not in my country u_u

And this black friday I have seen lots of stupid offers in USA... I am sad

@Infinity said: Where's the thanks button in the mobile version gone?

There was one?

@yomero said: There was one?

I remember so, I've used my phone to thank a few comments. Maybe my phone and my mum's iPhone get a different interface.

• Checked the source code, and extra options on the comments (where "Thank" link goes) was made explicitly empty since October 2010 on the mobile device. So previous version would not have "Thank" either.

Oh, I might have been looking at the desktop version on my phone.

• I do have one request, @LowEndAdmin , if possible. Any chance on getting the 'Discussions' link bumped up a font size on the mobile site? Or perhaps made a button the same size as 'Post Comment'? (large hands find it hard to hit the silly thing :P)

• @Aldryic -- the top discussion link? That should be a bit bigger now.

• @LowEndAdmin - ack, sorry, should've specified. Here is where I meant:

• Bleh I got confused by your screenshot, me feel dumb.