Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any idea on filesystems to be used in lowend VPS? ext3? zfs? xfs? or anyothers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any idea on filesystems to be used in lowend VPS? ext3? zfs? xfs? or anyothers?

jaxyanjaxyan Member
edited November 2011 in General

after running certain vpses.
i am currently thinking of changing the solid ext3 filesystem to particular filesystems which smooth out the overall performance and stability.

(p.s.: ext3 do not have any problems. just confused if i should learn more to use another filesystems)

Comments

• Ext4?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

How are you planning to run ZFS exactly?

The only real option that's all around decent is EXT4, especially if you need full quota support. XFS is also very fast but is missing some parts of quota.

Francisco

• @Daniel said: Ext4?

HFS+ ? :P

for my home pc/laptop i always choose ReiserFS, but for production server i'm still using Ext3 (maybe i'll use Ext4 for next project).

• Used to be a Reiser fan as well - until you get a corrupted hard drive and somehow it is just extra difficult to recover from ReiserFS. Not to mention it's not going anywhere now.

I am using mostly xfs for home boxes now, and ext3/4 for my prod vps.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2011

i was a riser fan until it killed my -wife- filesystem

:D

Francisco

• so probably ext3/4 were friends of production (VPS)~~

• I use EXT4 on my KVM VPSs.

• ext4 wherever possible

• japonjapon Member
    edited November 2011

FAT16. Should be enough for many VPSes advertised here considering the available space ;)

• JFS! :)

• Ext.

ZFS is useless if you won't have lots of space and a big pool of disks

• I'm supposed to use ext2 on the netbook as it's not a journal filesystem.

• @drmike said: I'm supposed to use ext2 on the netbook as it's not a journal filesystem.

Bad idea

• kylixkylix Member
    edited November 2011

@yomero said: Bad idea

Depends. If you want to securely erase single files using wipe you cannot use a journalling filesystem.

• @kylix said: If you want to securely erase single files using wipe you cannot use a journalling filesystem.

Maybe, but still a bad idea. If your information is so important, you are exposed to lose it with a bad FS.

• EXT4

• @yomero I learned a very long time ago that important data never goes on the laptop hard drive. :)

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited November 2011

Yes, just I have to remember you that you lost 1 week or more installing stuff on that laptop u_u

So, you won't be losing again 3 or 4 days every time your system got corrupted because you don't use a decent filesystem right?

• Hey, just noticed that when we log in, it stays on the page we're on instead of returning to the front page. :)

It's actually for a number of reasons. Pretty much everything goes on external or thumb drives.

The main reason though is that it's too easy to screw up or break a laptop.

• I haven't reinstalled the Debian in the mine since 2 years ago.

• I need to go to a certain location here in town and reinstall this actually. Too much didn't get installed and lxke has too many dead and broken shortcuts here in the desktop.

A certain place since their wireless doesn;t require a login. ;)