Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full SSD or SSD-Cached?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Full SSD or SSD-Cached?

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited December 2015 in General

I don't notice the difference between SSD cached and full SSD VPS-es for my simple static websites.

For my dynamic websites, I optimize them so well that storage speed is not the limiting factor.

For my database machines, under load, SSD's do make a difference.

For my storage VPSes, plain old disks are fine, as long as it's a lot of storage for cheap.

What are your preferences, and why?

Storage
  1. Preference94 votes
    1. Full SSD
      53.19%
    2. SSD Cached
      32.98%
    3. Plain old spinning disks
        9.57%
    4. Other, because of reasons I'll specify below
        4.26%

Comments

• Fail poll

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Full SSDs for performance. HDDs for capacity. If I don't need performance I go HDD, if I don't need capacity I go full SSDs.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Fail poll

Well fuck you too, good morning. You could have just placed a usefull reply on the topic?

• @KuJoe said:
    Full SSDs for performance. HDDs for capacity. If I don't need performance I go HDD, if I don't need capacity I go full SSDs.

No SSD-caching?

• @Raymii said:

It's too early for that haha

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2015

960GB SSD for 198EUR, who needs SSD Caching huh?

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00M8ABHVQ

• Infinity580 said: 960GB SSD for 198EUR, who needs SSD Caching huh?

With a 2U 12 3.5" bay chassis, with 2 2.5" bays in the rear, it has SSD cache written all over it ;)

• @Infinity580 said:
    960GB SSD for 198EUR, who needs SSD Caching huh?

That aren't enterprise SSD prices...

• Full SSD of course.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Raymii said:
    That aren't enterprise SSD prices...

This is LET; people expect cheap prices, I saw often non enterprise ssds in da box.

@miTgiB what?

• @Infinity580 said:

Typical Supermicro 2U / 12 bay chassis.

Thanked by 1Neoon
  • Full SSD for sure, no one give a fuck if use SSD desktop on server, still faster than HDD :)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @miTgiB said:
    This is how I build my SSD cached nodes

CacheCade, FlashCache or something else?

• PetaByet said: CacheCade, FlashCache or something else?

I use both CacheCade and FlashCache, obviously not at the same time on a single node. I used FlashCache early on, and moved to using CacheCade as it offers a bit more ease.

• @miTgiB said:
    I use both CacheCade and FlashCache, obviously not at the same time on a single node. I used FlashCache early on, and moved to using CacheCade as it offers a bit more ease.

Is CacheCade better performance wise?

Thanked by 1ZweiTiger
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Raymii said:
    No SSD-caching?

Nope, I've never had any luck with it.

• Isn't it a bit odd to spell out sensibly the different use cases as you have, and make a clear, rational case that the performance is only worth the extra money in some situations and there's no one-size-fits-all, then ask people to pick one size to fit all?

Is this a cunning plan to build some sort of spam-filter for LET by finding people who will vote in any poll or express a personal opinion when its in no way pertinent?

Thanked by 1Shigawire
  • My main boxes are pure SSD (2x SSDs in RAID 1), one has a pair of HDDs as well for storage. Boot/core apps/DBs on SSD, big static stuff on HDD.

• @tehdan said:
    Isn't it a bit odd to spell out sensibly the different use cases as you have, and make a clear, rational case that the performance is only worth the extra money in some situations and there's no one-size-fits-all, then ask people to pick one size to fit all?

Most people do have a outspoken preference. And, the last option, "Other, which I'll specify below" is an excellent choice for the people who give it more thougth.

• I've been using enhanceio for my ssd caching. Works amazing.

Thanked by 1arminds
  • charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

SSD-Cache only is a cheaper solution to redeem real hardware raid card with cache (which are expensive).

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited December 2015

@doughnet said:
    I've been using enhanceio for my ssd caching. Works amazing.

FYI as of newer kernels it is broken supposedly https://github.com/stec-inc/EnhanceIO/issues/106

As for the topic, I personally would prefer ssd caching, however it is annoying to get working properly, so otherwise I just have an SSD for OS/DBs and HDDs for larger shit.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

i'd say full SSD too, am i alone to think mechanical disks will soon disapear ?

• Ikoula said: am i alone to think mechanical disks will soon disapear ?

Probably not alone, but also very wrong, SSD will need to come down in price quite a bit to match the capacity of spinning disks. The cost of a good enterprise SSD gets you ~500gb, when for the same price, you get 3-4tb of spinning disk. Just backup storage alone will keep spinning disks alive for many years to come

• If the budget allows, I'm absolutely going full SSD. Now if there's a difference in price, and performance doesn't factor into the equation, I'm perfectly fine with spinning disk.

• Infinity580 said: 960GB SSD for 198EUR, who needs SSD Caching huh?

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00M8ABHVQ

i just want to buy some of this and now is 250 :) F____k !

• SSD for personal devices -> boots much faster, loading times shorter, no noise, shock resistant

HDD for servers -> cheap storage space, or even free, if you have old drives lying around

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited December 2015

Full SSD for database stuff, HDD for everything else. When I see "SSD-Cached" I read it as "HDD", because for me it doesn't really make any major difference, Linux has built-in disk caching.