Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need VPN to Reduce Gaming Ping (SG/ASIA)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need VPN to Reduce Gaming Ping (SG/ASIA)

Hello,

Do anyone know any VPN in Asia that would lower my ping to online games. I usually play League of Legends in Singapore, but I am not from SG.

Comments

• Using a VPN will not reduce ping as ping is based on distance. It only might help if your current routing is shit.

So instead of You -> Game, it becomes You -> VPN -> Game, so it might even increase ping due to the extra hop.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

This really depends on how your ISP peering and routing arrangements.

A VPN could reduce ping, on certain situations.

For example, you live in Perth and it's only 60ms to Singapore. There is peering to China Telecom Guangdong through TeliaSoneria-HK or Telstra-HK at DigitalOcean SG. This will be a much shorter path, producing a total latency of less than 200ms from the VPN.

If you access directly with your connection in Perth to China Telecom, the route would be via United States with a latency of 360ms+. In this situation, VPN greatly helps.

If you ISP has asymmetrical or not ideal route (possibly congested route), then VPN is suitable. The latency may increase, depending on how far you are, from the VPN server. You should expect a speed improvement, if used correctly.

Thanked by 2MissFortune Gunter
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2015

MissFortune said: but I am not from SG.

A VPN can help if your route to the game server is not ideal, but your route to a VPN/VPS in SG that you will buy, is much better. This can very much be the case. And then from your SG VPN/VPS to the local SG gameserver it'll be most likely within 1-5ms, resulting in a much lower ping for you overall.

To give an advice we need to know where you are from, and who is your ISP, which IP range do you get at home, which IP range is the SG gameserver, and what traceroute do you currently get to it. Or you could compare that by yourself, with traceroutes to common SG VPS providers (also use their LGs to check their route to the game server).

Thanked by 1MissFortune
  • angrysnarlangrysnarl Member
    edited December 2015

Just play on your local server.

I gave up playing on the NA server due to latency issues. A VPN won't help you much, if at all. I mean, you can't expect to go from around 300ms ping to less than 50ms just by using a VPN.

Thanked by 1MissFortune
  • Vpn has overhead so it will add pings but like others have said, if your isp routing is bad vpn might help. The way i see it, you need proxy instead, a private one.

• @cosmicgate said:
    you need proxy instead, a private one.

Wut?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I'd recommend LeaseWeb in Singapore, which have significantly improved their direct routes to most ISP:s in Singapore, Malaysia and Philippines (PLDT excluded) since their "big launch" in the midst of last year. Their lowest priced VPS provide plenty of traffic, 4 TB(!).

https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/public/virtual-server

• better use WTFast or Kill Ping.

• If you can read Chinese, xunyou.com. I've had friends in China playing CSGO on US servers and they said they are not lagging.

• @MuZo said:
    Wut?

Whut?

• I occasionally used a French Online.net VPN to reduce LoL EU-West ping in Hong Kong from over 320ms to about 210ms or so. Nothing stellar, but it did certainly help. Based on my own experience, UDP OpenVPN worked best.

• @janyao said:

Go necro spam your site link somewhere else.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • can recommens vultr. using it to cirvumvent nat (blocked ports over 1024). ping is 15ms tokyo to jp server.

Thanked by 1MissFortune
  • bapbap Member

@pcfreak30 said:
    Using a VPN will not reduce ping as ping is based on distance. It only might help if your current routing is shit.

So instead of You -> Game, it becomes You -> VPN -> Game, so it might even increase ping due to the extra hop.

The best 1st answer for today.
    Using a VPN will not reduce ping as ping is based on distance.
    You -> Game become You -> VPN -> Game