Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why OpenVPN is so slow? (cool story) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why OpenVPN is so slow? (cool story)

2»

Comments

• Hi,
    It's really very useful discussion. And your fix really helped me. With OpenVPN I used to have down: 5Mbs/s- up:5Mbits/s (my original connexion 20Mbits up and down). But after the fix both up and down are fixed but :
    -For Download : I get nearly the original speed connexion (17-18-19 Mbits/s)
    -But for Upload: I always have difference of (3-5Mbits/s) in each test I did.

Have you an Idea about this ??? And thanks
    (Knowing that I work with TCP protocol, Tun interface & The server is on Linux machine but clients are windows8 machines).

• So, today in IRC I've been told that in the next release they'll be implementing sndbuf 0 and rcvbuf 0 values as default.

I love necromancy btw.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Nomad said:
    So, today in IRC I've been told that in the next release they'll be implementing sndbuf 0 and rcvbuf 0 values as default.

I love necromancy btw.

That's true, it would be included in 2.3.9 with other cool speed fixes.

• would be faster if it support more than 1 thread / 1+ cpu cores. Waiting on openvpn 3, seems like they been working on this for some time, years?

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited December 2015

Great tip @ValdikSS, got almost full home internet speed. And i have dns cache server with dnsmasq (set on BeagleBone), now all goes very fast on my side.

• @ZEROF great! We'll release 2.3.9 this Monday with this fix enabled by default.

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited December 2015

DNS cache (dnsmasq) + OpenVPN give me dig query time 7msec and ping 20,9 ms (over wifi connection, not cable). That is fine for me :). I don't know when Debian will push new version to their repository (now 2.3.4), i will stick with this settings for now.

• I know this is an old discussion. Just wanted to say thanks for the info. It saved me a headache I was having.

Thanked by 2RedSox dahartigan
  • Awesome article.
    Rn, I'm actively learning about this protocol.

One question sir.
    You said:

@ValdikSS said: That means that if you're connecting to other VPN site over long fat link, i.e. USA to Russia with ping about 100 ms, you can't get speed more than 5.12 Mbit/s with default OpenVPN buffer settings

In my next experiment I will try this, but in local environment (2 vm's with private addresses) which has less than 1ms ping.
    So, will this configuration work?

• Neecroooo

• Necromancer

• @blackhiden said:
    Awesome article.
    Rn, I'm actively learning about this protocol.

One question sir.
    You said:

@ValdikSS said: That means that if you're connecting to other VPN site over long fat link, i.e. USA to Russia with ping about 100 ms, you can't get speed more than 5.12 Mbit/s with default OpenVPN buffer settings

In my next experiment I will try this, but in local environment (2 vm's with private addresses) which has less than 1ms ping.

Check back in six years for the reply.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Holy necro

• well, better late than nothing.

• @blackhiden said:
    well, better late than nothing.

Just open a new thread, this has been necro'd 2 times by now

• @blackhiden said:

You don't need to adjust buffer sizes anymore on new OpenVPN versions. This issue has been fixed for several years.

• @TimboJones said:

Lowendtalk sends email notifications for your topics, just like any proper forum.

• @ValdikSS said:

@TimboJones said:

Lowendtalk sends email notifications for your topics, just like any proper forum.

whoosh

Thanks Captain Obvious.