Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

piwik stores passwords as unsalted MD5 hash
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

piwik stores passwords as unsalted MD5 hash

perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
edited December 2015 in General

So, apparently there's a seven-year-old Github issue to improve the password hashing (you can confirm it's still unsalted MD5 with "SELECT password FROM piwik_user"). But it hasn't been implemented because they want backwards-compatibility with APIs or something. This means a not-too-difficult timing attack can probably be used to guess the password.

piwik is pretty awesome but this is just terrible security practice..

Saw this originally on https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10697045

Thanked by 1geekalot

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

what are the chances of passwords being stolen?

my passwords are over 30+ char.

I have no idea about crypto, but can understand that this is pathetic somewhat.

• @GM2015

MD5 is pretty bad for using for passwords, there are rainbow tables that exist for MD5 and from what I hear MD5 can be cracked within minutes :-/.

@perennate
    Even if the MD5 is salted its still at risk, piwiki should be using sha256 salted at minimum

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

Stevie said: Even if the MD5 is salted its still at risk, piwiki should be using sha256 salted at minimum

No, they should use a key derivation function designed for passwords like PBKDF2 or bcrypt at minimum.

I included unsalted part because that makes it even worse.