Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really need a recommendation about linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I really need a recommendation about linux

DestroyeRCoDestroyeRCo Member
edited October 2012 in Help

I don't Know if install Ubuntu 12.10, Debian 6 or Mac (I don't know how) + emulation of linux (I have read it's possible).

What do you recommend me to install? I need my windows games, I have the AMD APU A8 :( , and be able to do the magic of internet with SSH and browser.

PD: I listed mac because a lot of people talking about it: "better than windows", and It would be great if I could have Mac, Linux and games in 1 SO.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2012

If you want to run Windows games, install Windows and run the others in a VM. It's the least headache, especially with premade Mac VMs all over the place.

If you just have to have another OS as primary, more support for games in Wine on Linux than in Mac. That said, I run Mac OS and most games that I enjoy are at least put out as cider ports these days.

Thanked by 1DestroyeRCo
  • RandyRandy Member
    edited October 2012

A VM will work best. as i don't play games so i run ubuntu

Thanked by 1DestroyeRCo
  • @jarland said: If you just have to have another OS as primary, more support for games in Wine on Linux than in Mac. That said, I run Mac OS and most games that I enjoy are at least put out as cider ports these days.

A lot of game developers make a mac version and a windows version.

Thanked by 1DestroyeRCo
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Corey said: A lot of game developers make a mac version and a windows version.

Most have found it not profitable enough to support hiring Mac developers, but the lines are finally blurring to the point that it really doesn't matter much. Cider ports are so easily done.

Thanked by 1DestroyeRCo
  • Maybe install Mac --> Windows --> Ubuntu
    Then configure to triple boot :)

Thanked by 1DestroyeRCo
  • @ErawanArifNugroho: Only 1 or 2 OS solution.. Mac with Windows. Mac... Debian with Windows. I don't wan't to waste Disk Space xD

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Mac and Windows

ubuntu installed on windows's virtualbox

Thanked by 1DestroyeRCo
  • Windows + VirtualBox + Debian + whatever you need running virtually as needed:
    https://www.virtualbox.org/

• @DestroyeRCo What kind of storage do you have? How many drives? Do you have SSDs at all? Are you using the GPU inside your APU? What games do you play in Windows? If you could answer some of these questions or preferably all of them then it would be much easier to make a recommendation for you.

Thanked by 1DestroyeRCo
  • DestroyeRCoDestroyeRCo Member
    edited October 2012

@marcm Single Normal HDD, it's a Laptop, APU a8-3500M, I play League of Legends, Source Games and Battlefield 3. I'd like to have all in Debian/Ubuntu cuz I want to learn more about linux and there are a lot of programs! Also I'd like to try mac. Thanks for answers guys.

Thanked by 1marcm
  • @DestroyeRCo It's been almost 10 years now since I've been using a program called WineX (based on Wine) to play Windows games in Linux, but that software isn't around anymore.
    So, if you want the least painful way to do this, here is my recommendation to you:
    Because of the games that you are playing, and because Wine has never been that great at mapping / emulating DirectX calls, just use Windows as your main OS. Get VirtualBox or VMWare Player and create a couple of Virtual Machines with the Operating Systems that you want to study/learn and be done with it. This will be the easiest way for you, and you don't need Linux as your primary OS in order to learn it. And if you are totally new to Linux, then I definitively recommend that you run it inside a Virtual Machine. Same goes for Mac OS X, because likes to be installed on Apple Hardware, just run it inside a Virtual Machine.

I hope this helps :)

Thanked by 1DestroyeRCo
  • Thanks @marcm you gave me an explanation why I should run Virtual Machine :P, I'll install Virtual Machines for Debian and Mac OS X, put Ubuntu as second OS before Windows 8 arrives ;)

• If you want to easily install and use numerous games and apps designed to run with Microsoft® Windows® you can try PLay on Linux

Thanked by 1DestroyeRCo
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@nocom said: If you want to easily install and use numerous games and apps designed to run with Microsoft® Windows® you can try PLay on Linux

Hum, that looks great :) Did you test it ? How is it compared to native platform ?
    M

Thanked by 1DestroyeRCo
  • To much software for testing, most of my tests working : development, office accessories
    I don't play games anymore, PLay on Linux forum is very active place - take a look.
    For last couple years PLayOnLinux is best solution after Wine, WineX , Cedega ( TransGaming Inc).
    My two cents