Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended low cost email providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended low cost email providers

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited October 2012 in General

Pooling the collective knowledge of the community (far better than using a crappy search engine) ---

What are folks using (for those that outsource it) for their email server. No Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Looking for real paid for solutions absent the spying, monitoring, profiling, etc.

Looking for solution that does IMAP, POP3, SMTP and spam blocking.

If anyone has a solution they setup for folks, glad to entertain that too :)

Comments

• Mandrill. 12K free (transactional) emails a month. Can't beat that ;)

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • So far Sendgrid and Mandrill look like mail broadcast tools. Looking for something more 'traditional'. General use for operations, employees, customers, etc.

To provide email accounts for folks as needed.

• You're probably better off hosting your own then. If you want something simple and easy to set up, check out Zimbra. It's pretty much an all-in-one solution.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @pubcrawler said: Looking for something more 'traditional'. General use for operations, employees, customers, etc.

As @NickM suggested, best bet would be hosting it yourself (for true low cost), but I have heard good reviews of Rackspace Email

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited October 2012

Rackspace was mentioned in another thread along the same lines. $2/user/mo.

If you lack dignity can deal with GoDaddy, they've got their own service too. $2.59/mo for 5 users, $3.19/mo for 10 + pay per blocks of 10.

There's also MS Exchange Online at $4/user/mo.

• @ihatetony I suspect that those solutions won't fit his "no spying, monitoring, profiling" requirements. Really, the only way to be sure that you're safe from anything like that is to host it yourself.

• Why don't you use google apps for business? It's real paid.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • I'd rather contract the plague than play within Google's world. Just isn't a good place to be no matter what the majority may think. Especially when your business and personal life is in that email.

Rackspace is alright, but $2/user ads up quick.

Godaddy is alright, but their 1 year minimum buy in is inflexible.

Prefer to find a small provider like the VPS companies on here. Open source solutions fine.

Would love to roll my own mail again, but it is a hassle and I have too many logs in the fire right now.

• Personally I use gmail for a backup email account, but I also run my own mail server for my primary (personal) email.

If you don't want to setup your own mail server, you could check out fastmail.fm. I used them many years ago, and still have an old account there. They used to be privately owned by a guy in Australia, but they've been bought by Opera since then.

• Enom/DirectI?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2012

Why not just get a cPanel account and use it for mail? If you're up for that idea, then we have a handful of clients who switched from Google Apps to our hosted e-mail option that like having more control over it. http://securedragon.net/cpanelmail.php

If redundancy is a requirement then I recommend using DNSMadeEasy's backup MX option in addition to whatever service you decide on. Keep in mind that it's only a Store and Forward option (i.e. it stores all the mail instead of returning an undeliverable message to the sender and when your primary MX is back online it will deliver the queued up mail to the primary MX).

Thanked by 1pubcrawler
  • Namecheap appears to just forward email to another email account.

• @pubcrawler check out http://neomailbox.net/services/secure-email for Swiss hosted email by OpenBSD geeks that care. Basic plan is 50USD per year for 1GB storage. They are friendly and flexible so pretty sure they do custom plans on request.

• Interesting service @craigb. Hefty price though.

• Using Mailgun myself, awesome platform. Not so sure how it's going to go now that they're owned by Rackspace though.

• fanfan Veteran

Sendloop is another option, although I haven't used much.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Fastmail might be worth checking out. They have been around for a very long time:

https://www.fastmail.fm/

• jhjh Member
    edited October 2012

I use Sendgrid and pay them $0.01/month. Seems to work fine - nothing's ever got lost in spam as far as I know.

• @jhadley That's an smtp relay? He wants an alternative to Google Apps/Mail because they read your emails

• The Exchange Online service, on the Microsoft Office 365 web site, has the benefit of full mobile device compatibility (trough Activesync) and easy migration capability to Exchange on premise server (should necessity arise).

• jhjh Member

Sorry I must have misread. There's Outlook.com or Atmail.com's cloud service.

• So you want someone else to handle your mails but you don't want them to process them automatically? That sounds reasonable.

Thanked by 1RoboCot
  • I use 25mail.st, zero spam since I moved from Gogle Apps.

• http://atmailcloud.com looks interesting and pricing is reasonable, 5 users $10

• I use rackspace e-mail and I absolutely love it!
    http://www.rackspace.com/apps/email_hosting/rackspace_email/

• jhjh Member
    edited October 2012

Does Rackspace still have a painfully slow searching function?

• @NickM said: If you want something simple and easy to set up, check out Zimbra.

Zimbra is cool but has a ridicously high HW requirements:

Evaluation and Testing • Intel/AMD 64-bit CPU 1.5 GHz • 1GBRAM • 5 GB free disk space for software and logs • Temp file space for installs and upgrades* • Additional disk space for mail storage Production environments • Intel/AMD 2.0 GHZ+ 64-bit CPU • Minimum - 2 GB RAM Recommend minimum - 4 GB RAM • Temp file space for installs and upgrades* • 10 GB free disk space for software and logs (SATA or SCSI for performance, and RAID/Mirroring for redundancy) • Additional disk space for mail storage *Temp files space- The zimbra-store requires 5GB for / opt/zimbra, plus additional space for mail storage. The other nodes require 100MB. General Requirements • Firewall Configuration should be set to “No firewall”. • RAID-5 is not recommended for installations with more than 100 accounts.

• Hmm @Zen, I see they sell email service now.

The domains come with free email forwarding.

So special coupon code or addon gets the real email service. :) Thanks for clarifying that.