Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some info regarding dedicated IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need some info regarding dedicated IP

Hi, I used to be a shared reseller. I signup with little knowledge on it but got used to it, setuped my hosting website with whmcs, acted as I manage my own server, provided good support.

Now to get more control over my server, I signed up with Linode and I setuped everything but when I go to some online websites to check the hosting provider and type my main hosting domain then it is clearly showing as Linode because they are getting the information from IP. I dont want to use cloudflare. Can anyone suggest me how to hide Linode by changing the Ip or anyother solution?

Comments

• You cannot. It's that simple. What is the problem? Is it such a pitty that people see that you use Linode products to host your things?

The only thing you can do is probably change rDNS but the ISP still will be Linode.

• Ask them to set SWIP info on the IP, they might not provide this but HostUS and RamNode do provide this.

Thanked by 1ramakrishnach21
  • I think the most big providers only do SWIP on a /24 and bigger subnets.

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    I think the most big providers only do SWIP on a /24 and bigger subnets.

Both HostUS and RamNode do it for single IP's, Linode is overpriced anyway.

• Thanks Guys, Alteast got some info.. Didn't felt linode as overpriced.. But I am now looking Turnkey Internet black friday promotions and seems great! They also said that they will do SWIP. Are they any good? better then linode? Any experience with them?

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited November 2015

@ramakrishnach21 said:
    Thanks Guys, Alteast got some info.. Didn't felt linode as overpriced.. But I am now looking Turnkey Internet black friday promotions and seems great! They also said that they will do SWIP. Are they any good? better then linode? Any experience with them?

Don't use Turnkey. They limit ports, outside communications and a whole host of other things that you'll have to "pay extra for". Linode is great, if you really want to move maybe DigitalOcean could be a better fit? ( @Jarland does DO provide SWIP?)

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited November 2015

ramakrishnach21 said: to get more control over my server

If you really want to do that, Why not go for a dedicated server ? For example kimsufi or soyoustart? See the list of available options at http://list.lowendserv.net/dedis.php

• @rahulks said:
    If you really want to do that, Why not go for a dedicated server ? For example kimsufi or soyoustart? See the list of available options at http://list.lowendserv.net/dedis.php

Actually I am pretty new to all this stuff, I am slowing starting to learn. I never had clue about WHMCS, resellers, custom nameservers but without a thought I started and didn't faced any hassles. So just to get little more control then shared reseller upgraded to VPS. To be fair I dont know actually how VPS works, but in 2 days I setted everything from installing to transfer all the cpanels from shared reseller to VPS. I know this is not a big deal but for me it is. I am open to go for dedicated servers also. In the list you sent, all the providers are good? Is there any No provider from the list you sent?

Thank you for the suggestion!

• @0xdragon said:
    Don't use Turnkey. They limit ports, outside communications and a whole host of other things that you'll have to "pay extra for". Linode is great, if you really want to move maybe DigitalOcean could be a better fit? ( Jarland does DO provide SWIP?)

Thank you so much, I just closed the chat with them when I saw your message!

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited November 2015

ramakrishnach21 said: In the list you sent, all the providers are good? Is there any No provider from the list you sent?

Well on that list there are providers that are very uncommon with users too ,But since i assume you want a server for your business , https://www.soyoustart.com is a good choice, because on a Kimsufi you will get only 1 ipv4 and you cant buy more IP's later if needed, So that will mostly be a problem in the future for you , So https://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers/ Is the best choice in your case, IMO.

• @rahulks said:
    Well on that list there are providers that are very uncommon with users too ,But since i assume you want a server for your business , https://www.soyoustart.com is a good choice, because on a Kimsufi you will get only 1 ipv4 and you cant buy more IP's later if needed, So that will mostly be a problem in the future for you , So https://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers/ Is the best choice in your case, IMO.

Thank you for that! Just had a Quick search regarding the reviews, seems many people are having issues.. Dont know how it is nowadays?

I am looking forward for more suggestions and providers..

• On soyoustart I think you need to buy a /29 to get your own info on the IP address. If you are comfortable with a VPS at premium pricing just pick up a RamNode box, they are the top provider in the polls for like 5 years in a row.

• go with a dedi instead

• Yeah -- generally, the rule of thumb is a /29 allocation.

• edited November 2015

Now confused...

Dedicated server or Vps?
    If Dedicated Server which provider
    If Vps Which provider

I am sorry but I think this is a stupid question

What is /29 ??

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited December 2015

A /29 allocation is generally provided on standard dedicated servers.

This is how it works:

You are allocated 8 IP addresses from your host, then, they set everything up for you (gateway, etc). With all this in mind, a /29 only actually permits you to use 5 of those IPv4 addresses.

The netmask for these addresses when you configure them is 255.255.255.248.

When we talk about IPv4 addresses, it can also be referred to as "dedicated IP addresses", which is the term used by most shared/VPS companies.

One last note; any fair-sized block (/29 or more), will require full justification of each address.

Hope this helps.

• Regardless whether you go with a VPS or Dedicated, receive a /32 or /29 or any other prefix length...have it reassigned or reallocated in SWIP, somebody that would like to know where you are hosted will be able to do it easily in all cases.

The appropriate solution to your "problem" depends on who you are trying to hide this information from and for what reason.

• yyzkevin said: who you are trying to hide this information from and for what reason.

I think what he's trying to do is hide Ramnode or whatever providers information and display his company related information. Pretty understandable :)

Go with RamNode and ask for SWIP. I'm using them for few of my private projects and pretty happy about the service.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

If SWIP is fine with you, we can do even on a single IP ;-).

• Will not help though? Anyone will see it is just a /32 and just whois an IP before or after it and/or see the announcement size and get that netblocks info from RIPE/whatever...

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Yep, if they take their time, that will be the result. Unless the OP perhaps also rents a /24 from you @William that we would happily announce for the OP's Cloud VM :-). That would solve the problem :-)

• Hi, All! Thanks for all your suggestions. It helped me lot to learn more about the servers and some technical things. I am willing to go with ramnode as I confirmed that they will set SWIP Ip.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited December 2015

Clouvider said: Unless the OP perhaps also rents a /24 from you @William that we would happily announce for the OP's Cloud VM :-). That would solve the problem :-)

Well, no, not really either - At top is always a /22+ PA "alloc" of the LIR, though i can set that to random data :P

• ramakrishnach21 said: Dedicated server or Vps?

VPS solutions share the resources of a single computer in most cases, but dedicated servers put all of the resources at the disposal of a single customer. Memory, hard drive storage capacity, processing power, and network access are all 100% dedicated to a single customer instead of shared amongst multiple VPS customers or dozens of shared web hosting customers.

In simple words we can say that your dedicated server won't get suspended for CPU abuse which can be caused by any of your clients , which happens most of the Time in case of a VPS.

ramakrishnach21 said: Just had a Quick search regarding the reviews, seems many people are having issues.. Dont know how it is nowadays?

I have seen People complain about the response time taken by soyoustart support team,For example.

@WebProject said:
    ovh=is unmanaged service, don't expect any decent support as some tickets are not even replied with 2 days, this is major factor why it so cheap.

@erkin said:
    Get ready to get lost in the crowd. It's OVH. No number of staff can be enough for that many customers.

@vimalware said:
    Build your own cloud with cheap OVH bricks n mortar.

Just don't call us.

Below is the reason why its like this :

@Shoaib_A said:
    Actually WebProject is an ovh.co.uk customer so his tickets & phone calls are answered by OVH UK staff. The staff at most of OVH's European offices works 5 days a week only & that too for 10-12 hours. The amount of tickets & customer queries with their UK, IE & FR offices in particular are much more than the current available staff there can handle hence the support response times are much slower as compared to what at OVH US/CA. I once had a ticket which remained unanswered for many days, after that I just contacted their twitter support & the issue got resolved within few hours after that.

btw OVH has a Phone number (Toll free) which is 1-855-684-5463 which is 24/7/365, the best thing with haveing a server with OVH is that you will benefit from their https://www.soyoustart.com/us/anti-ddos.xml

If any of your client's websites get attacked for some reason , that will come in handy , There is also https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server in France to choose.

• RamNode is a good choice, for $30 you can get a decent VPS but will have a hard time finding a $30 dedi with the same level of support, service and redundancy.