Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a VPS for watching US TV on Hulu
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a VPS for watching US TV on Hulu

birdie25birdie25 Member
edited October 2012 in General

I need a VPS capable of VPN, on the east coast in the US (due to Europe connectivity). I want to experiment now, so stock should be there.

Any recommendations? As for the price: not too high, it's just for a simple VPN. Monthly preferred.

Comments

• We have VPS's available in New Jersey

http://stormvz.com/ssdvps.html

You can enable tun/tap from control panel.

• BuyVM Buffalo.

• Location shouldn't be a problem. I'm from europe too and i used to use my sj buyvm to watch hulu without any problems.

• So many great affordable options.

My suggestion would be to do traceroutes from your computer to the VPS provider's test IPs in their various data centers to see which one has the least hops or fastest speed for you before you make a purchase.

• Some other discussion is here

And for now I'm also using Stylexnetworks , BudgetVM and FrontRange Hosting.
    Will try Hostigation if I have another fund in my Paypal :D

• You can just use an SSH tunnel.

• Anyone have an IP/DNS of one of Hulu's content servers in the US?

I say Buffalo since Akami is certainly massively installed in NYC. NYC is 11ms away from BuyVM Buffalo :)

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited October 2012

BuyVM Buffalo comes with Canadian IPs last I tried it, useless for Hulu.

There is some strange workaround they offer, but I'm not a big fan of it.

• SD is always an option;)

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • The BuyVM solution is a simple script that you run and munges IPTABLES.

It works and lots of folks are using it.It is in their Wiki. I'll find it in a few minutes since I just was eyeballing it following a support ticket about the geo-ip resolution.

• Here's BuyVM's responses about the GeoIPs:

We are currently in the process of converting all of our IP ranges to US Geolocation, due to how ARIN delays we are unable to give an ETA for when this process will be complete, as a result we have setup a US VPN as a workaround, to make use of this please issue "touch /root/.usvpn" on your VPS then restart your container to make use of it.

An expanded/related document is found here:
    http://wiki.frantech.ca/index.php/vpn

• I am using ramnode vps to watch hulu and listen to pandora. Seems overkill using a SSD vps for VPN.

• You can always use SSH tunneling instead of VPN. Not sure if everyone is aware of that.

SSH tunneling can be done on some tiny servers :)

• SecureDragon, love them so far. Use them as a SSH tunnel, even though I already live in the US.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@miTgiB said: raises hand

This. Seriously, grab one of his yearly deals. There's a reason that when I feel like I can't meet someone's needs, I send them to Tim.

• @MannDude, everyone needs to run SSH tunnel and VPS as their web identity condom.

Otherwise, you are being profiled, logged and made into a product that might eventually come to haunt you. Good for you heading in the right direction!

• @pubcrawler said: @MannDude, everyone needs to run SSH tunnel and VPS as their web identity condom.

Otherwise, you are being profiled, logged and made into a product that might eventually come to haunt you. Good for you heading in the right direction!

Yup. I've got a couple to keep things mixed up. I'm a well seasoned traveler, if you follow my IPs...

One the east coast in the morning, somewhere on the west by night. Somewhere in the midwest some other time.

• That's great @MannDude. Lots of frequent flier miles :)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@lincoln said: I am using ramnode vps to watch hulu and listen to pandora. Seems overkill using a SSD vps for VPN.

But yet, so fun isn't it? :D

• @pubcrawler said: That's great @MannDude. Lots of frequent flier miles :)

>

@Nick_A said: But yet, so fun isn't it? :D

>

It'd be a lot nicer if I had something setup to randomly rotate the connections either based on time or based on a new session. Sadly my BASH skills isn't all that great, but this is something I could probably toss together with some coffee, patience, and coffee.

• You could use autossh to main the several different SSH connections you have.

Then probably a number of proxy changer plugins for browsers out there to change quickly between those.

I do this manually right now :)

• @Nick_A said: But yet, so fun isn't it? :D

Yup! install packages are pretty fast! Nice deal.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • tmn29atmn29a Member
    edited October 2012

A couple of days ago I had the same problem, I went with the TinyVPS that IPXcore offer for $1.61. I'm from germany and the ping and lag is pretty decent !

• bobbybobby Member
    edited October 2012

Tons of options. CrownCloud's last Baltimore offer is perfect, but they are kinda new. QuickPacket and SecureDragon are great alternatives, they both rock. Ramnode is also great, but they are too good to be used for vpn only :P

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Ideally, for the best ping, you want a VPS located in the New York metro area. @StormVZ and and us(SSDVirt) are on Choopa's network, which has excellent connectivity to Europe.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@bobby said: Ramnode is also great, but they are too good to be used for vpn only :P

False! Not too good ;)

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited October 2012

Buyvm sj is fast enough in nl. Ny is only aan bit lower ping but both work for hulu here for me.

Also, squid proxy + proxifier works good too. Tiq on #frantech irc learnt me that way :)

• Crowncloud is pretty good. Use them in North Carolina (sold out at last check).

Price of their annual smallest plan $17 makes the annual buy not so risky.