Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel 8 Core Atom CPUs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel 8 Core Atom CPUs

ChiefChief Member
edited October 2012 in General

Intel's next-gen Atom to sport 8 cores, OOE and Turbo Boost

Intel's next-gen Atom currently slides along with the name of "Avoton", and is the chipmakers upcoming system-on-a-chip (SoC). Avoton will be based on 22nm Silvermont architecture and will reportedly sport 8 cores sharing 4MB of L2 cache (1MB per core).

More Info: Tweak Town

Looks interesting, especially for those LEB providers using Atoms as their Vyatta boxes or NAS/Backup boxes. Also wouldn't be too bad as a small low end budget server for those that don't need a full E3/E5.

Comments

• I want..

• @Chief said: Atoms as their Vyatta boxes or NAS/Backup boxes.

Cores really make no difference on a Vyatta box, it uses 1 core. NAS, well I don't think it would offer any help there either, it's all I/O load, cores won't offer anything extra.

As a node, maybe, but there are serious memory limitation, and no virt bit so OpenVZ only.

• @Chief said: Turbo Boost

First association: "Turbo" button on keyboards

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited October 2012

@brenton First association: "Turbo" button on keyboards
    I think my tandy 2100 486sx had a turbo button on the computer itself.

You can see 2 buttons on the front there one was reset the other was turbo.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@24khost said: You can see 2 buttons on the front there one was reset the other was turbo.

I have just bought a computer with that specs on a junkyard... it appears to be "as new"

• that was my 3rd computer.

• wow, i have never seen that such PC , :)

• that is probably cause it was before your time.

• I'd love an 8 core atom, I'm still rocking my first gen atom Mini-Itx as my main desktop, 8 cores with a decent GPU and I'd be in heaven. Atom's make great desktop machines that you can leave on in your office/room 24/7 and not have to worry about heat, noise or the power bill.

• jhjh Member

I'd love an 8-core Atom in a NAS for example, but I wouldn't go near it for a VPS/node.

• AMD E350 and similar make even better low power desktop PC - similar power CPU but better GPU. And also supports hardware virtualization..

Thanked by 1tux
  • Atoms are fine and more oomph than most folks need for most things. Will it virtualize and do so in true scaling (or do we have 8 rather useless cores)?

Ideally, since this is a SOC design we'd be looking at lower power footprint than previous generations.

My question is will the power draw on this 8 core Atom as a complete board near what we are seeing with ARM processors. If so that would be a game changer. If not, it's overshadowed by much better performance per watt of the E350's, I5, etc.

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member
    edited October 2012

lol @24khost that was my first Computer, bought it, then the SX 66 came out or something like that, and they were talking bout pentium!

Used to play warcraft on that sucker and run a bbs, oh and I alpha tested Doom.