Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pictures of first computers you owned
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pictures of first computers you owned

24khost24khost Member
edited October 2012 in General

TRS-80

Comments

• Really old Packard Bell, something that looks like this:

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

It isn't much different from my current computer :)

• So far mine might be the oldest. As gsrdgrdghd has to be younger than 30.

• @24khost said: As gsrdgrdghd has to be younger than 30.

Well it's from 1936

• yeah but your not!

• Can I have your mechanical keyboard

• @cosmicgate who are you talking to?

CPC6128

The CPC6128 features 128 kB RAM and an internal 3-inch floppy disc drive. Aside from various hardware and firmware improvements, one of the CPC6128's most prominent features is the compatibility with the CP/M+ operating system that rendered it attractive for business uses.

The CPC6128 was released in August 1985 and initially only sold in the USA. Imported and distributed by Indescomp, Inc. of Chicago, it was the first Amstrad product to be sold in the United States, a market that at the time was traditionally hostile towards European computer manufacturers.[7] By the end of 1985, it arrived in Europe and replaced the CPC664 in the CPC model line-up. Initial suggested retail prices for the CPC6128 were USD699.00/GBP299.00/DM1598.00 with a green screen and USD799.00/GBP399.00/DM2098.00 with a colour monitor.

In 1990, the 6128plus replaced the CPC6128 in the model line-up, and production of the CPC6128 was discontinued.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_CPC

FWIW I had the one in the second pic, with the disk drive.

Other notable mentions of which I owned growing up and enjoyed...

VZ300

I used to plug this one in direct to a small black & white TV, and connect the external tape drive to it. Insert the tape/cassette and hit play, short time later dungeons and dragons was on the TV ready to play ;)

TRS80

This thing was a bit of a PITA, personally I didn't like it. However one notable point was that every device that connected to it did so via a ribbon cable similar to the old IDE/floppy cables, just with slots instead of pins.

@Chief said: CPC6128

very nice pc :o

I had the cassette tape deck for added storage, but the TRS-80 came out a few months later, was so pissed.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

@24khost said: yeah but your not!

True. The first physical PC i owned was a 600Mhz Pentium 3 with 64mb RAM, 15gb HDD and a 56kbit AOL dialup connection.

• @miTgiB said: I had the cassette tape deck for added storage, but the TRS-80 came out a few months later, was so pissed.

That's a chick magnet if I ever saw one! Haha i was interested in what you'd post :P

• My first computer was an Amiga 500 with a Commodore monitor. I got it in 1990 and used it until 1995. Then I got a Pentium 166Mhz with 16MB RAM and that was so much better :)

amiga500

• hostdoghostdog Member
    edited October 2012

I got my first Amstrad 6128 with "green" monitor in 1988. Green was actually green, nothing to do with enviroment :)

@marcm said: Then I got a Pentium 166Mhz with 16MB RAM

that was my 2nd computer... then, I upgrade it to Pentium MMX 200mhz with 32mb of RAM... and changed the video card from Cirrus 1MB to.. I don't remember the brand but it was 4MB

Thanked by 1marcm
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2012

Not sure that's the exact model but looks like it. Had a cd-rom where the tape drive is.

Packard Bell 486 dx2 66Mhz. I think it had 8mb RAM and a 200mb HD. Memory starts to fade on those last two numbers. I remember it had a 2400 baud dial-up modem, which I later upgraded with an external 9600.

• @netomx said: that was my 2nd computer... then, I upgrade it to Pentium MMX 200mhz with 32mb of RAM... and changed the video card from Cirrus 1MB to.. I don't remember the brand but it was 4MB

Those where the times, right? I had a P MMX 200Mhz MMX, then 233Mhz MMX, then went the AMD route for a long time with their K6-3D line of 266MHz, K6-3D 300Mhz, and then all the way up to K6 500Mhz, switched to a Duron and then to a Thunderbird. Every hardware upgrade was something to look forward to, every tweak, pencil trick for OC and hardware mod (GeForce -> Quadro by moving two resistors and performing a BIOS update) was awesome. These days it seems like it's not what it used to be.

Thanked by 1netomx

@marcm said: Those where the times, right? I had a P MMX 200Mhz MMX, then 233Mhz MMX, then went the AMD route for a long time with their K6-3D line of 266MHz, K6-3D 300Mhz

Yeah, that times ='(

I jumped from the 200MMX to 233MMX (I could play Deathdrome and F-22 Raptor with "advanced" graphics), then jumped slightly to a Celeron, then P3 933mhz, and then I don't remember, I think I jumped to a Pentium D

• is that a jaz drive in the packardbell?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@24khost said: is that a jaz drive in the packardbell?

Think it's a Colorado T1000 but the picture is so small. Surprised that was the closest picture I could find, but mine had a cdrom.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited October 2012

Ahhh tape drive that's what that is.

• Tandy with 16 bit color and dual 5 1/4" floppy drives

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2012

I have it still, not working tho and it was made in 1989.
    M

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

This, 1K of ram:

:-)

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited October 2012

first laptop looked like this.. :P

forgot what my desktop was :/ good 'ol floppy drives.

• jhjh Member

Also some really old Packard Bell

• nunimnunim Member
    edited October 2012

@24khost, Kind of hard to see the picture, but it looks like a TRS-80 Color. That was my first computer, I remember using that for many an hour before my Grandfather got a Pentium Gateway in the early 1990's. Boy do I not miss using tapes to store my data...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had one of those, lots of people on the internet never used a computer before PII were out :o

• japonjapon Member
    edited October 2012

My first Computer, the Toshiba T1800 Notebook. Actually, was the old work-notebook of my dad that he'd given to me.