Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you do in the event of a bait and switch by your provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you do in the event of a bait and switch by your provider?

ahero4heorahero4heor Member
edited October 2012 in General

I'm curious as to what people would have done differently from me in this situation.

Needless to say, this recently happened to me. The company I was with had been bought out and I was real happy with the change because it moved to a bigger and "better" company. I paid my $5 a month for my 25Gb of space and 256mb of ram and 100gb of bandwidth on a gigabit connection. Then, this last month they decided to change it up for me. $10 for the same specs but 15gb of storage. I immediately called them on it and tried to resolve it to their benefit, offering to take a cut in resources to keep my $5 price tag. they didn't want any of it, so I filed with the BBB (even though they are not accredited, it seemed like they made an effort to keep a clean record) and they have not responded as of yet, with 22 days of their 30 remaining to respond. They have an 'F' in the meantime. But I realized that I don't want to deal with anyone who would try to pull this on me. I already have a replacement host in mind and should be switching in the next few days!

The host was bought out when I got there and three months later merged with this company, but it started as one of Dan Fry's sites, I should note. It feels like there's some Fry ghost kicking me somehow. Like a little bit of him was left behind... Lmao

Comments

• Switch quickly. Your peace of mind is priceless

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited October 2012

Go to another provider. Hell, just from the first three VPS listings in Offers, Cloud3K is running $3/mo for 512/25GB/500GB Gbit, Hostig $6 for 256/10GB/500GB Gbit on KVM, and OAH $7 256/10GB/100GB (in Singapore, no less!)

I'm sure they're all comparable to what you had.. or they're better.

Thanked by 1ahero4heor
  • @ahero4heor said: I paid my $5 a month for my 25Gb of space and 256mb of ram and 100gb of bandwidth on a gigabit connection.

If you want;

We have that for $3.50/mo.
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/simplenode-3-50month-256mb-openvz-in-dallas/

Just submit a ticket, and I'll upgrade you to 25GB disk.

Thanked by 2ahero4heor budingyun
  • so many good friends out there, life is just so beautiful.

Thanked by 1ahero4heor
  • ahero4heorahero4heor Member
    edited October 2012

I would love to but I need a Netherlands location. Other countries don't have the same love for Dutch tv programming that I need to sell my current potential clients with lol

@SimpleNode said: If you want;

We have that for $3.50/mo.
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/simplenode-3-50month-256mb-openvz-in-dallas/

Just submit a ticket, and I'll upgrade you to 25GB disk.

Truly is great being on a forum where people seem to have a mutual respect. Haven't seen it for a long while. Life IS beautiful

@Tinyray said: so many good friends out there, life is just so beautiful.

• There are lots of Netherlands providers here

• I know :)

Taken from OP
    @ahero4heor said: I already have a replacement host in mind and should be switching in the next few days!

• @ahero4heor said: they didn't want any of it, so I filed with the BBB (even though they are not accredited, it seemed like they made an effort to keep a clean record) and they have not responded as of yet, with 22 days of their 30 remaining to respond.

BBB only means anything to "brick and mortar" retail stores. Online companies have little or no care about the BBB.

• @ahero4heor if you are paying month by month then they have filled their obligation to you for that commitment term. It can be a PITA for customers, however the company whom purchased your account from the previous owner probably did so with the mindset that the majority of the customer base would absorb the price increase.

If you had of paid for 256/25GB $5 and you were provisioned 256/15GB then I would agree this is bait & switch. However as they have honoured the commitment term which you pre-paid then I don't see this quite the same.

ISPs also do this frequently, sign you up on a great mobile plan and as soon as you're out of contract on month-to-month you get a notice that your data package and call caps are no longer offered and need to move to a "new" plan that's not as competitive as the old plan.

The beauty of LEBs, there's a lot to choose from. And if you really want ease of migration, install OVZ inside a KVM, then you can just migrate a whole image of your container from one location to the next at your convenience without the whole hassle of setting up again ;)

• @ahero4heor said: so I filed with the BBB (even though they are not accredited, it seemed like they made an effort to keep a clean record) and they have not responded as of yet, with 22 days of their 30 remaining to respond. They have an 'F' in the meantime.

Do you typically review BBB listings when searching for providers?

• @Chief Too true, and it does make sense that they might see it that way. I wonder if they didn't become aware of or purposefully removed the commitment term that I had signed up for. They were doing a lot without notifying me, when it clearly stated they could not in their TOS. I asked them to reproduce the emails they had "sent" me with no results as of yet. Just another reason to move. Right now I don't have a whole lot better to do than waste their time...

@Damian No, I usually don't check the BBB, but because this guy owns a holdings company that does more than internet based services, I wanted someone to know my type of problem existed with either the people running his company or the owner himself who felt they could do this.

• DOS

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Randy

-_-

• RandyRandy Member
    edited October 2012

Opps. Wrong thread. Meant MS Dos 2.0 computer on 24khost's thread

• When a provider changes or pulls something like that, I just cancel the service.

There are many competitors out there and usually at decreasing and better prices.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@ahero4heor said: I would love to but I need a Netherlands location. Other countries don't have the same love for Dutch tv programming that I need to sell my current potential clients with lol

Could always have a look at Inception Hosting :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I would not consider it even if the price would be lower, better service and a few months free. I dont like to be bought and sold as an asset, will also make sure I will never buy again from the "seller" if they open another company or are involved with one.
    Only in the unlikely event it was bought by some other host i have VPS with, then it would be simply consolidation, but if they move location will have to cancel, I have more locations because i need them.
    M