Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you tell me why OVH US so cheap? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can you tell me why OVH US so cheap?

2»

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Shoaib_A thank you for explaining. Majority times for me it's easier to contact via phone and on majority occasions I been pointed to tickets system that I need to log the issue.

• @NameStuff said:
    their VPS 2016 - SSD 1 is only $3.49 USD, it includes 2G memory, 10G SSD disk, 1vCore.
    I even can't believe my eye. Can you tell me why this happens? thanks.

ovh.ie is cheaper than ovh.us, with the starting vps at 2.99 euro, or 3.16 usd. specs are exact same w/ same choice of location

• @exception0x876 said:
    if not only so few GB of disk space...

If you're not worried about speed, mount some NAS disks.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

OVH is willing to extend their break even on hardware out to 5+ years. In the past, most hosts try to keep that 2-3 years, some less.

When you are willing to look at 5+ year pay backs, you can get the monthly rents pretty low. Especially when your datacenter in North America benefits from low input costs (cheap power, real estate, work force, etc).

• zevus said: ovh.ie is cheaper than ovh.us, with the starting vps at 2.99 euro, or 3.16 usd. specs are exact same w/ same choice of location

It is cheaper given the current exchange rate, but keep in mind that you have to go through VAT exemption if you're from the US and have never ordered from OVH.ie before... and the exemption process can take a while.

Also you get customer service from Ireland, where they have limited weekday business hours (M-F 9am-6pm) versus the 24/7/365 North American team.

To me, at least, the better support makes it worth the extra 33 cents per month to order from the US site, especially since it wouldn't take much of a Euro rise to reverse the exchange rate situation.

• Ask them about that. They might be just overly generous.

• jbiloh said: OVH is willing to extend their break even on hardware out to 5+ years. In the past, most hosts try to keep that 2-3 years, some less.

No I think they have already broken even and they choose to keep the servers and rent them out for a small profit, instead of having a half empty datacenter.

If you look at all the ridiculously cheap dedicated server offers, it is pretty much exclusively old hardware that has already been paid for. The VPS's appear to have newer CPUs, but combine that with steep discounts for huge bulk hardware olders, smart overselling and automation... tadaa..