Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you tell me why OVH US so cheap?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can you tell me why OVH US so cheap?

their VPS 2016 - SSD 1 is only $3.49 USD, it includes 2G memory, 10G SSD disk, 1vCore.
I even can't believe my eye. Can you tell me why this happens? thanks.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

It's easy to give away the world when you're getting $300,000,000 from banks & government subsidies.

Francisco

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited November 2015

OVH was Founded in 1999; 16 years ago.They are the No1 hosting provider in Europe.
    Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OVH

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • its an amazing product. I dont know why people are still paying $3.50 for a 256MB OpenVz server these days.

• NameStuff said: their VPS 2016 - SSD 1 is only $3.49 USD, it includes 2G memory, 10G SSD disk, 1vCore. I even can't believe my eye.

Believe it. It is a pretty good deal. Their support is very slow is my only gripe with OVH.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

if not only so few GB of disk space...

• How long OVH doing validate for new user? i just submit id and billing

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

ovh=Oh, Very cHeap

Like Fran said, they've got some bank to spend on assets to lease to people.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • It's still strange. Granted 300 Million is a lot of money and OVH is very large, but SoftLayer was sold for 2 billion dollars - nearly 7 times more. Who is larger between the two then?

• @GM2015 said:
    ovh=Oh, Very cHeap

nice one

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2015

ovh=is unmanaged service, don't expect any decent support as some tickets are not even replied with 2 days, this is major factor why it so cheap.

• Get ready to get lost in the crowd. It's OVH. No number of staff can be enough for that many customers.

• Build your own cloud with cheap OVH bricks n mortar.

Just don't call us.

• @WebProject said:
    ovh=is unmanaged service, don't expect any decent support as some tickets are not even replied with 2 days, this is major factor why it so cheap.

All of my OVH tickets are answered within about 4-12 hours. 4 hours being the norm. Are you talking about their budget brands? SoYouStart or otherwise? And honestly, they are self managed provider.. What do you need to create a ticket for?

• @MCHPhil said:

What did you need to create a ticket for? ;)

• MCHPhil said: And honestly, they are self managed provider.. What do you need to create a ticket for?

Well, I renewed a domain with OVH, but it wasn't renewed, all the whois-databases showed the old expiry date even after some days.
    I opened a ticket and guess what, it was autoclosed and I never received an answer.
    That's some premium support if you ask me.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

MCHPhil said: re you talking about their budget brands? SoYouStart or otherwise?

No, I taking about OVH in UK office.

erkin said: What did you need to create a ticket for? ;)

I don't get the physical access to datacenter to my server and to network switches, do you? On some occasions the issue with whole block of IPs and it's datacenter level issue and required some technical support

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@NameStuff said:
    their VPS 2016 - SSD 1 is only $3.49 USD, it includes 2G memory, 10G SSD disk, 1vCore.
    I even can't believe my eye. Can you tell me why this happens? thanks.

We've had similar offers / pricing. If we can do it, then obviously a large company with thousands of servers can do so as well. I don't think their offer is that unbelievable when you look at the dedicated servers they sell.

VPS -
    1 vCore /
    2.4 GHz /
    2 GB RAM /
    10 GB SSD /
    $3.49

Dedicated -
    24 vCore /
    2.4 GHz /
    128 GB RAM /
    4 x 800GB SSD (1.5TB~) /
    $362

That dedicated server has enough disk for 100+ of those plans. Then they probably over-sell the RAM or add more RAM than that basic specification. Anyway, 100~ of those VPS can be on that dedicated server. Divide by 100, and it makes sense. They don't need to make any more than selling the dedicated server since that's already making them a profit - they just need to break even.

The more servers they fill, however they do it, the more money they make since it's already there.

JoeMerit said: its an amazing product. I dont know why people are still paying $3.50 for a 256MB OpenVz server these days.

It's not just RAM you're comparing. What about disk and CPU? And the different type of support you receive from different companies. Different locations, etc.

Thanked by 2GM2015 deadbeef
  • @WebProject said:

That question wasn't directed to you.

• @tr1cky said:

Never buy a domain from a company that has hosting as its main brand (or vice versa), it has been my experience that such companies do not care about domains , it is just an item in the list of services they provide.

Thanked by 3GM2015 rm_ Master_Bo
  • @tr1cky said:

Call them? Honestly, context makes all the difference here... and as another said, don't buy domains from anyone except major registrars.

@WebProject said:

The UK office? Huh? You just go to the control panel and submit a ticket.

Thanked by 1Trav
  • @Rolter said:

Who cares, if the price is good.

• It's not only OVH. Online.net/scaleway/oneprovider paris, servdiscount, Hetzner, aruba,.. and many many more.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I moved from runabove to ovh and support is about the same. It takes them about 3-4 days to reply to tickets and usually the first reply is not resolving much. I asked them to raise the limit on the amount of instances I could create and took 3 days for them to get back asking me to clarify which limits.

I then called their phone support and took them about 30 minutes to get the message across.

Performance/price is awesome tho :)

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • elgs said: Who cares, if the price is good.

People who loose money during downtime / issues.

Very brave to have production servers / nodes at OVH... I wouldn't dare that.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rds100 said: It's still strange. Granted 300 Million is a lot of money and OVH is very large, but SoftLayer was sold for 2 billion dollars - nearly 7 times more. Who is larger between the two then?

Completely different markets. Post-acquisition, IBM is going after cloud-interested enterprises. SoftLayer is not looking for OVH-type customers.

IBM bought SL for its customers and connections. I don't know if they were worth $2 billion but all of OVH's customers put together aren't worth 50 cents because they're just generic Internet "google for cheapest" people who are not bound to OVH in any meaningful way and will flee as soon as someone is cheaper.

JoeMerit said: I dont know why people are still paying $3.50 for a 256MB OpenVz server these days.

Support, location, features, etc.

Thanked by 2GM2015 rds100
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited November 2015

@MCHPhil said:
    The UK office? Huh? You just go to the control panel and submit a ticket.

Actually @WebProject is an ovh.co.uk customer so his tickets & phone calls are answered by OVH UK staff. The staff at most of OVH's European offices works 5 days a week only & that too for 10-12 hours. The amount of tickets & customer queries with their UK, IE & FR offices in particular are much more than the current available staff there can handle hence the support response times are much slower as compared to what at OVH US/CA. I once had a ticket which remained unanswered for many days, after that I just contacted their twitter support & the issue got resolved within few hours after that.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • @rokok said:
    How long OVH doing validate for new user? i just submit id and billing

It took about 4 hours for me to get validated

Thanked by 1rokok
  • jazz1611jazz1611 Member
    edited November 2015

Who was try with this option "3 x600GB of SAS HARD + Cache 80Go SSD"? And give me some result I/O. Thank you.

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited November 2015

@sin said:
    It took about 4 hours for me to get validated

It took 7 days on a $500 machine for OVH to randomly fix a issue where no IPs would even get any connectivity. And blamed the issue on a configuration on the server. Yet all that was done was we moved the IPs between 2 machines to do a Migration. and it broke the IPs. even tried re-doing the vMACs but after escalation and escalation it was randomly fixed and OVH denied even fixing it. by this time it was too late had already lost too much. but upon complaining hard we got a full refund and left OVH.

Every other day there was downtime. due to the router rooms loosing power or due to something else. was not enjoyable to be honest. and a lot of saturation and complaints. don't experience that when I pay a little more per machine. but it all depends on what you require.

I have had clients who have had a little too many spamhaus complaints. in the eyes of OVH because they have a couple of machines. Yes the client still gets spamhaus complaints but it's understandable as the client is accepting orders from random people. But because they had 2 servers they just got thrown aside and booted from the service. How are the Larger Providers going to cope when they get booted due to another customers actions.

And as a result of this. I won't trust OVH again.

• OVH BHS is the best provider. I can only recommend. They even added Live Chat to the US version. But if you order from the EU it would be a bit cheaper, 3.1$ (1 dollar = 1.06 euro)