Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows VPS Slow, is it the Hard Drive?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows VPS Slow, is it the Hard Drive?

ZealZeal Member

Hello LET brothers & sisters,

How do I test what is causing the VPS to slow down?
The main node only has 50% of the cpu Utilized and each VPS has a dedicated thread.\
12x VPS (on 24 thread processor)
The VPS has 3 GB Free Space
Unlimited Bandwidth
512 MB Ram
Hard Drive is SATA

I tend to get error not responding often on the VPS.
CPU seems to be jumping up to 100% randomly, but when I deployed first few vps, it didn't use as much CPU.
(Like only 5-15% of 1 Thread.)

I tried adding more Cores and CPU allowance, but VPS still running slow even though Node has only 50% utilized.

Thank you all in advanced. I really appreciate everyone sharing their experience and knowledge with me. <3's

Comments

• 512MB wow! It is hard to run windows on 512mb. Add min. 512 more if you want to get it faster.

Thanked by 1Zeal
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

With such a low RAM on your VPS Windows is probably using pagefile, which ofc leads to Hard Drive slowdown and unresponsiveness. Check iowait using top on hostnode.

Thanked by 1Zeal
  • ZealZeal Member
    edited November 2015

@WHT @exception0x876 Thanks checking on those two now. :D

I'm trying 2GB, hopefully this is not too much.

• I got this ^.

About to check adding more ram.

• @WHT and exception0x876

Thanks seems to be turning on faster now when I added more ram. But sometimes still hangs.

Wonder why. :D

• Give windows vps ram at 2gb if you want it smoother

Try to.not use pagefile, and compare it when it use pagefile. Which one faster?

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Give windows vps ram at 2gb if you want it smoother

Try to.not use pagefile, and compare it when it use pagefile. Which one faster?

Doing that test. :D Will let you know ^^ ty

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited November 2015

Zeal said: has a dedicated thread.\ 12x VPS (on 24 thread processor

a thread is not a core. so overselling may be the issue could you confirm the CPU model please too.

and 2008 R2 is a little old no?

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

TarZZ92 said: 2008 R2 is a little old no?

Windows 2008 actually uses up less resources (at least in my real world testing) because Windows 2012 uses a lot of the resources for graphic acceleration and giving Remote Desktop a smoother feel. However with that said, Windows 2008 can appear to be much laggier/appear to freeze a lot if a lot of resources are being used. When I use Windows personally on servers, I always use 2012 because in the end, even if a lot of the CPU is used to render the desktop/graphics, it feels snappier.

Anyway, I don't believe it's a CPU issue since the screenshot the usage appears to be normal. However, that's after the program's crashed. @Zeal have you ran some I/O tests? What application are you trying to run that hangs? You may just not have enough resources for what you are attempting to run.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

Virtual IO drivers or IDE?

• ZealZeal Member
    edited November 2015

@PieNotEvenEaten said:
    Virtual IO drivers or IDE?

Virtual IO drivers.

@TarZZ92 said:

2x XEON L5639 CPU Model

Thanks for all the kind replies, trying to help me yall. ^_^

• ZealZeal Member
    edited November 2015

@VirMach said:
    Anyway, I don't believe it's a CPU issue since the screenshot the usage appears to be normal. However, that's after the program's crashed. Zeal have you ran some I/O tests? What application are you trying to run that hangs? You may just not have enough resources for what you are attempting to run.

I'm not too sure how to do this one correctly, could you please guide me?

I'm trying to run FOREXTrader PRO. Ty

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

I bet you are running them on KVM virtualization. I wrote down in other threads "KVM vs XEN" but none believe. You will be suffered running Windows guest on a KVM machine. Only Xen or Hyper-V will do its best. KVM vs Xen, no more debates, just my advice and suggestion. That is undocumented production tricks you'll never ever find nowhere and no one will share it neither.

• Yes.

• @winnervps said:
    I bet you are running them on KVM virtualization. I wrote down in other threads "KVM vs XEN" but none believe. You will be suffered running Windows guest on a KVM machine. Only Xen or Hyper-V will do its best. KVM vs Xen, no more debates, just my advice and suggestion. That is undocumented production tricks you'll never ever find nowhere and no one will share it neither.

Your right, I'm using KVM. I typically hear KVM is good due to dedicated resources and no overselling. I guess there is more to it. Seems like you really know your stuff.

@winnervps , how much of a difference will Xen make typically?

• winnervps said: You will be suffered running Windows guest on a KVM machine

and of course this is nonsense..

• @TarZZ92 said:
    and of course this is nonsense..

Now, I'm confused as a duckling who first sees a human being and thinks it's the mother. :D

• So when your seeing the poor performance, if you open the Resource Manager, and go to the disk tab, it will give you some further information.

If you can attach a screen grab of that tab when your having issues that should give us some further info.

• Last time, I'm running a VMware or even Ubuntu or Windows under virtualbox inside a Windows VPS from Prometeus, it's running smooth.

@Maounique did that too

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

Never ending debates Xen vs KVM http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1355525/

Search in google uou'll find many more for the last 6 years