Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bytemark putting up IP pricing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bytemark putting up IP pricing

Received this a few days ago from Bytemark, who I use for production stuff:

Hi XXX

Matthew from Bytemark here. Thanks for your support this year.

Today, we're making some important changes to our products and pricing that will take effect from Monday 23 November 2015.

In brief, we are:

• halving the cost of archive storage on Bytemark's cloud hosting (now £1 per 50GiB).
  • doubling the bandwidth included with dedicated servers (from 2TB to 4TB).
  • starting to bill £1 per extra IPv4 address (1 included per server), and raising the price of some advanced network services.

As a result of these changes, your overall billing will increase by XXX per month.

We've explained why we're doing this on our forum, along with advice on how to reduce the need for extra IPv4 addresses and return them to us:

https://forum.bytemark.co.uk/t/a-price-cut-for-bigv-storage-rise-for-advanced-network-services/2290

Again, this will only take effect from Monday 23 November 2015.

If you've got questions or if there's anything we can do to help with the impact of these changes, please do get in touch by hitting reply or giving us a call on 01904 890 890.

Thanks,

Matthew

Bytemark are great, but this has tipped it from "paying a respectable amount for a good service" to "paying over the odds" and I'll be looking to move elsewhere. The flexibility and ability to add a few extra IPs to a VM for no extra charge justified the higher price for the VM itself for me - now it's just an overpriced VPS service.

Comments

• £1 for an IP4 is still less than the 'going' rate these days...

Thanked by 2Francisco ATHK
  • @dediserve said:
    £1 for an IP4 is still less than the 'going' rate these days...

A king's ransom it's not, but they charge £10+VAT per month for a 1GB VPS - the ability to add and remove IPs at will without incurring extra charges was a nice bonus for paying that amount.

Now, the likes of DigitalOcean look more and more tempting in terms of "cloud" offerings. It's a shame, because Bytemark offer a good service, but when all's said and done it's just a VPS.

• Who the f*** is bytemark

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

I'm guessing the difference you are paying is for Cloud vs 'Cloud'.

I understand Bytemark uses OnApp, I don't know a thing about their setup, but I guess that includes some HA features vs DO where you have no such features. It requires at least N+1 hardware, hence you were paying the premium.

In this case you aren't comparing 'apples' to 'apples'.

• Besides giving out free IPs without limitations is totally stupid, it's just a spam problem waiting to happen.

• Bytemark are not onapp, its all custom. They were probably the first UK VPS provider, I had a £15/month 64MB machine in 2002. Still one of the few places I trust for work stuff.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

VPSensational said: A king's ransom it's not, but they charge £10+VAT per month for a 1GB VPS - the ability to add and remove IPs at will without incurring extra charges was a nice bonus for paying that amount.

Not exactly expensive. To call it a overpriced is a bit much. And £1 /IP is reasonable considering the state of IPv4.

I know Asia is a whole different kettle of fish, but £10 (or £12) won't get you diddly squat. People quite happily pay $4 - 6 /month for an extra IP. The big ISPs all charge $10+ for IPs! Bandwidth is a whole other story....

• Need to budget less McDonalds and energy drinks for that ransom to get paid

• Definitely not OnApp. BigV (and even the 'legacy' VMs) is completely in-house built.

Additional IP addresses (or IPv6 subnets) have always been free (with justification) but this is now, obviously, changing. The control panel didn't ever allow you to request IP addresses ad infinitum. There was a limit of 4 addresses. Any additional allocations needed you to contact support.

Bytemark/BigV may seem expensive compared to the normal offers found here. You're paying for:

• Proper support (including telephone).
    • Wholly owned data center in the UK (York) + presence in Manchester.
    • 10Gbps multipath connectivity.
    • Our own virtualisation platform. Allows live migration of VMs and storage.
    • Probably more that I can't think of right now. :)

So, Bytemark may not be "lowend", but it's certainly not overpriced.

(Yes, I work at Bytemark)

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited November 2015

VPSensational said: Now, the likes of DigitalOcean look more and more tempting in terms of "cloud" offerings. It's a shame, because Bytemark offer a good service, but when all's said and done it's just a VPS.

Bytemark aren't competing with DigitalOcean, they're in a complety different league.

Clouvider said: I understand Bytemark uses OnApp, I don't know a thing about their setup,

Well.. you got half of that right.

Thanked by 1GM2015