Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Vultr, Digital Ocean and OVH/Runabove charge for powered for down VMs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do Vultr, Digital Ocean and OVH/Runabove charge for powered for down VMs?

I know Prometeus charges for the reserved storage and IP address, but not CPU and RAM when a VM is stopped, but not destroyed. Do the others charge the full price for the reserved resources even if the VM is stopped?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

At DO we do, you have to destroy the droplet to halt billing. However, we're not charging for snapshots at the moment (may change in the future).

• Yes they will all charge for powered down state, If you go to scaleway they will even charged you for the reserved ip.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @rchurch every cloud provider i know of charges for powered off VMs best practice is take a snapshot and destroy the vms if DO you can have your ips

• @DrFallen said:
    Yes they will all charge for powered down state, If you go to scaleway they will even charged you for the reserved ip.

Do all the three charge the full rate for powered down instances, ie is Prometeus the only one which doesn't charge full rate for powered down instances?

I assume that if Digital Ocean currently does not charge for snapshots they are cheaper in that respect. They also seem to reserve your previously used IPs, probably until they run out of free ones and need to recycle previously used ones.

Prometeus reserved IP is better for me that respect.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

rchurch said: They also seem to reserve your previously used IPs

We actually don't do that anymore, so if you spin up a droplet from a snapshot you can expect an IP change.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited November 2015

Yes, they will charge you. This is because your VM will still be using disk space (for either a snapshot or the volume still being created, just not attached) and an IP :)

The best way to ensure minimal, or no charge for a powered down VM is to snapshot your data and destroy your VM (including the reserved/floating IP and Volume) and that means you will only be charged for a snapshot (at DO and (Vultr - ! not recommended) this is free) :)

• alexnjhalexnjh Member
    edited November 2015

I believe cloudsigma do not charge for certain resources if vm is powered down but its far from lowend.

As for the providers you stated I believe only prometheus do not charge for certain resources on powered down vms.

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited November 2015

Tagadab has a reasonably priced (but higher than LET) cloud service and they do not charge for CPU or RAM when instances are shut off. They only have one location though, UK.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You can always downgrade the VM and keep the smallest possible size while you don't need it, and upgrade to a larger one of and when needed.

• Vultr/DO/Runabove/etc are using local storage, so when you launch an instance they're blocking off a chunk of a server for you - so even if it's powered off, your VM is still there with reserved space they can't sell.

Whereas Prometeus/Quadranet/other HA cloud providers can just charge you for the IP + storage on their SAN and free up the memory/cpu/network resources for another customer.