Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian or RHEL host node?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian or RHEL host node?

CoreyCorey Member
edited October 2012 in General

What do you run as your host node for your vps technology and why?

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited October 2012

All of IPXcore's nodes were RHEL(some Centos, some SL), because that's what Solus specifies.

• All my base systems are EL based, CentOS and Scientific Linux, because that is what the software I run requires on them. After years of using, I prefer it for oddball stuff I do on my own as well.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

My nodes are on RHEL as well.

• So the theme seems to be 'because solusvm requires it we use it'. That's not a bad thing....but I wonder if there was a debian alternative that could match the features in solusvm if people would use it?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Never knew that solusvm requires RHEL specifically. Personally I prefer it over debian, this is why I use it (except the fact that apperantely deb is not supported in solusvm, which I didn't knew till now).

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited October 2012

RHEL 6 over here as well. Will be using Debian on our future deployments though.

• jhjh Member

RHEL - it's all OnApp will work with.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2012

OVZ web panel works in Debian I believe. It's perfectly fine. I think most of us probably don't care which distro it is for a client node as long as it's stable. If I were to make up numbers on the spot, I'd say the OVZ kernel is 80% of the deal and you're not going to be getting around that very easily.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2012

CentOS here. I prefer RHEL-based distros on physical servers but use Debian on my VPSs. I was going to switch to Debian but their crusade against proprietary drivers made the install impossible and the "non-free" ISOs I found wouldn't finish (probably corrupted but I couldn't be bothered to find other mirrors after 2 attempts).

• @KuJoe said: CentOS and CloudLinux here

What's the advantage of CloudLinux for a virt node? Haven't looked at CloudLinux in a while, but I thought it was mostly about resource isolation/protection for websites/users/vhosts, and more geared for a cPanel box?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Doh! Misread.

• @twain said: @KuJoe said: CentOS and CloudLinux here

What's the advantage of CloudLinux for a virt node? Haven't looked at CloudLinux in a while, but I thought it was mostly about resource isolation/protection for websites/users/vhosts, and more geared for a cPanel box?

Also interested in @KuJoe talking about CloudLinux...

• Is it possible to use Debian to host OVZ boxes etc?

• @JCaleb yeah I think so; I just don't think it's supported.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Centos.

• @eastonch said: @JCaleb yeah I think so; I just don't think it's supported.

It's supported, but you'd be in CLI only; none of the panels support it.

• @Damian said: It's supported, but you'd be in CLI only; none of the panels support it.

Proxmox is Debian based

• @Damian really? Thought Solus was working with it, just not "fluently".

And really @miTgiB? ;] (I hate spelling your name...)

• @miTgiB said: Proxmox is Debian based

Ah yes, I forget about Proxmox until I need to look up how to do something in OVZ.

• Honestly, if Solus supported Debian - We'd move without a second though. Debian is the way forward! So much better than Centos.

• @eastonch said: And really @miTgiB? ;] (I hate spelling your name...)

Spell it backwards, its easier

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

CentOS 6 here, as well, SolusVM supports it, and 1 node with Proxmox (ie, Debian)

:)

• might be alone with that here...
    Debian 6, x64. Soon 7.

• @William said: might be alone with that here...

Debian 6, x64. Soon 7.

Wheezy ftw.