Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian and dhcpcd
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian and dhcpcd

drmikedrmike Member
edited November 2011 in General

greets:

i just have a minute. installed debian on eeepc and wireless is shot. following manual instructions on arch's beginning guide. step i'm stuck on is dhcpcd as command not found in debian install. quick google no help. what package is dhcpcd in or is there a different command in debian.

excuse short. very busy day. thanks for help
-drmike

Comments

• tuxtux Member
    edited November 2011

It is dhclient in debian and it is included in isc-dhcp-client package.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • i'll check tonight. thanks. rather silly that wireless in installed as default but not dhcp support.

• No dice as it's not in the netinst iso image. any other ideas?

• Connect it over ethernet, set a static IP, download dhclient, disconnect ethernet, use dhclient to fix wifi

• (Re)check pool/main/i/isc-dhcp/ on netinst cd for client deb.

Alternatively you could try copying busybox over from install cd to run udhcpc with it.

• dhcpd is for a dhcp server, be careful, lol

• This site looks really bad in Lynx. :) No real access to ethernet as I don't have a home connection and all the churches and libraries I deal with are wireless setups. I found a mention that dhclient may work and I just tried it, after trying it a couple of installs ago, and it works now. Go figure. I got on another tty during the last install and got dozens of missing package errors on the screen so I'm going to try reinstalling now. Debian apt-get tells me that xorg is not found. Shouldn't that be on the debian servers? Ditto on lynx. Actually ssh'ed into a vps and fired up lynx from there. This is really annoying. it is xorg to instrall x, right? thanks -drmike

• apt-get install xserver-xorg

• Let me go try that after yet another reinstall, this time connected to the net. thanks

• Got things up and running and with Firefox v8 no less.

If anyone comes across a guide to get apt-get to deal with Firefox and Debian would love a link. All that I can find and for other OSes and Google things every linux distro is the same.

Still have to manually connect wireless though. Have to work on that.

Thanks.

• Download the firefox version from their website, is better n_n

• @drmike said: If anyone comes across a guide to get apt-get to deal with Firefox and Debian

I'm guessing you mean the iceweasel business? You can adjust your repos if you want the actual Mozilla family, but other than that @yomero has it right, install from the source.

• LOL, well, not source, but download it from their site and create a pretty shortcut in your desktop :D

• @drmike: Maybe this does help you a bit: http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-debian-lenny It's for Lenny but it it should be reusable with newer editions of Debian.

• Debian unstable FTW. Almost experimental sometimes :D

• @yomero said: Debian unstable FTW. Almost experimental sometimes :D

I run aptosid on my netbook (Advent 4211)

• Not sure about the iceweasal stuff. I'm seeing a lot of mentioning about it but nothing specific. I just downloaded the binary and am running that.

Interesting that filezilla got installed to bin and not opt.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

If anyone can clue me in on getting java working here in Firefox 8, I'd love a link. Most of what I'm finding references a page on the mozilla site that now 404's. Java runtime is installed but I guess firefox can't use it. I head over to java.com, do the "Do I have java installed?" link, it tries to download a plugin, fails, and heads me back to the "Do I have java installed?" link in a circle.

Thanks

edit: I think I tried the plugin install as root. Have to check on that.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited November 2011

apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

Not sure, let me see

Edit: Yep, it worked for me n_n

• @drmike: Did you try the Synaptic Package Manager and the packages listed: http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-debian-lenny-p2

• Synaptic is for gays

[Troll mode]

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

@yomero it's telling me to install iceweasel. I still haven't figured this out but is that actually a replacement for firefox or does it run alongside it?

I'm going to have to ditch Firefox, aren't I? That may be an issue....

edit: And I would rather do everything from a prompt so I can see it. Anything in windows is getting cut off because the screen is so small.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited November 2011

iceweasel is firefox for debian, as the same as icedove for debian project mail client (thunderbird). but last time i check (in my toshiba laptop) it's still using firefox engine 3.6.

edit: but i install iceweasel and firefox in my laptop and running side by side.

• @drmike

WTF!?!?
    The sun-java6-plugin? It isn't prompting me for iceweasel! o_O!

Ok, let me see...

Depends: libasound2, libx11-6, libxext6, libxi6, libxtst6, sun-java6-bin (>= 6.26-0squeeze1), firefox | firefox-2 | iceweasel | mozilla-firefox | iceape-browser | mozilla-browser | epiphany-gecko | epiphany-webkit | epiphany-browser | galeon | midbrowser | moblin-web-browser | xulrunner | xulrunner-1.9 | konqueror | chromium-browser | midori | google-chrome

Hmm, so, you need to install a browser from the list. I recommend you chrome lol, but, I got it, it didn't asked me because gnome 3 has epiphany. So, sorry, install another one. Also is good to have lots of browsers n_n

• Going back to 3.6 is going to be an issue. Looks like I'm going to have t go with Chrome.

This is my apt-get output:

root@debian:/home/drmike# apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      iceweasel libmozjs2d xulrunner-1.9.1
    Suggested packages:
      ttf-lyx latex-xft-fonts xfonts-mathml ttf-mathematica4.1 xprint mozplugger libgnome2-0
      libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomeui-0
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      iceweasel libmozjs2d sun-java6-plugin xulrunner-1.9.1
    0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 8,858 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 24.7 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
    Abort.
    root@debian:/home/drmike# 

• LOL, well, install what you want n_n

Midori is fun too :D

Btw, instead of Google chrome, try "apt-get install chromium-browser". The normal chrome isn't in the debian repos.

• Is any normal browser in the repos?

This is actually an issue. I log bug reports off of this laptop and reporting the browser and version is a requirement. Anything that's not firefox or IE or another main stream browser is just going to get closed as Can Not Recreate. I'm going through that with a couple of tickets and Lynx right now. ("What Lynx? You have to use a web browser to access out site." sigh)

• Epiphany is a normal browser lol
    Konqueror too but is so heavy xD

But... why you complicate so much? Just install it for... installing the java plugin and then use firefox, lol.

Yes, this is the apt world.

• I can go back afterwards? Didn't know that. Let me try that later on....

I have to support my clients off of this laptop. Gotta admit though three weeks I'm planning on a new laptop. 2nd paycheck....