Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats your VPN Solution?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whats your VPN Solution?

joshuatlyjoshuatly Member
edited October 2012 in Help

Want to know whats your solution when coming to using your box as VPN.
My lazy way is to just use putty to do ssh tunnel.
What do YOU do?
On PC, Linux, or even your Android phone.
Is everyone using OpenVPN? PPTP or L2TP?

Comments

• OpenVPN

4 Lief (Not really, just until I find something better to waste my time setting up)

• @HalfEatenPie said: OpenVPN 4 Lief (Not really, just until I find something better to waste my time setting up)

Would you rather setup OpenVPN or L2TP over ipsec?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Pptp

• whats the lowest spec vps you tried running l2tp on successfully? (is 128 and 1 core enough?)

• openvpnas

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2012

http://www.tinc-vpn.org/ is totally awesome, with

• Automatic full mesh routing

..being the key feature, one can connect several boxes into a common VPN with efficient direct routing (i.e. not via a central server).

• NickkNickk Member
    edited October 2012

Usually SSH+SOCKS or OpenVPN. PPTP really needs to die.

• I use OpenVPN AS. Its really easy to set up and works like a charm on my EDIS 128 MB micro kvm.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Nick said: Usually SSH+SOCKS

And squid.
    M

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited October 2012

@joshuatly, Hellooooo.

OpenVPN, on 128 OVZ VPS. Absolutely fine & faster than PPTP, but PPTP is supported natively in Android for instance which is handy.

Interesting read: http://strongvpn.com/compare.shtml

"Unfortunately when a PPTP connection has a problem communicating with the VPN server, it will drop the connection. This will exposé your computer to the Internet off the VPN. For some customers this is unacceptable."

• IF it's just for web browsing, putty ssh tunnels are the way to go, they get through most firewalls.

• @joshuatly We have a few customers running VPNs on our 64MB OVZ VPSes just fine.

• I just SSH tunnel my traffic through a VPS and set Firefox proxy to whatever port I set when connecting.

To be honest, not sure what the difference is between different methods. I just found this the easiest / fastest way to achieve what I wanted.

An explanation would be appreciated.

• @SimpleNode said: We have a few customers running VPNs on our 64MB OVZ VPSes just fine.

Well im more interested in what type of vpn they are running.
    Currently most interested to find out how much resource will l2tp over ipsec require...

• OpenVPN AS all the way. It's set up in no time, and the client software is easy enough for family members to use.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • OpenVPN. Works well enough for me.
    I also tried pptp but there were problems connecting sometimes - probably due to the stupid NAT boxes of the 3G provider. So i stick to OpenVPN now.

• I use OpenVPN. Flash and javascript can bypass ssh tunnels.

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited October 2012

@SimpleNode & @MannDude: SSH Tunnel

The nice thing about OpenVPN etc too though, is easy set-up of accounts for friends & family. Without giving them access to your VPS.

@david I use OpenVPN. Flash and javascript can bypass ssh tunnels.

I didn't know that, Thanks.

• @joshuatly said: Would you rather setup OpenVPN or L2TP over ipsec?

L2TP over IPsec because it is supported native on most platforms (no extra client to install) and because there have been found flaws in pptp vpn's (mschap protocol).

@joshuatly said: whats the lowest spec vps you tried running l2tp on successfully? (is 128 and 1 core enough?)

Now runs on a 128MB debian VPS, runs fine.

@bnmkl said: @david I use OpenVPN. Flash and javascript can bypass ssh tunnels.

this is the "advanced" version of an ssh tunnel: https://github.com/apenwarr/sshuttle

Thanked by 1craigb
  • I could never get OpenVPN to work on my OpenVZ VPS :(

• fanfan Veteran

I could never get OpenVPN to work on my OpenVZ VPS :(

It's pretty easy to setup, does your host have the tun/tap device enabled for your container?

Thanked by 1OnlyDreamsNow
  • @fan

Yes, i still had some Iptables error.

service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: set(['user'])
    service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: set(['iptables_openvpn'])
    Service deferred error: spawnProcess: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory (exceptions.OSError): util/defer:195,sagent/ipts:122,sagent/ipts:80,sagent/ipts:85,svc/cmdpp:53,svc/twprocess:239,svc/twprocess:217,svc/twprocess:188,internet/process:541,internet/process:372
    service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: set(['user', 'iptables_live', 'iptables_openvpn'])
    service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: set(['user', 'iptables_live', 'iptables_openvpn'])
    service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: set(['iptables_live', 'iptables_openvpn'])

I sent a ticket and eventually got told "Your running into memory issues.".

• How much RAM do you have?

• @rds100

128mb

it still had about ~17mb free though

• Openvpn

• @OnlyDreamsNow that's too tight for comfort. I'd suggest to drop the OpenVPN-AS and try to setup regular openvpn server. There is no web interface and there is some learning curve while you set it up, but after the first 1-2 times it looks easy.

Thanked by 1OnlyDreamsNow
  • @rds100 said: @OnlyDreamsNow that's too tight for comfort.

I'd disagree with that, I run the AS on a 128mb quite comfortably - I've even run it on a 64mb/128mb burst before now and had no issues.

Obviously if you've got a ton of other stuff running, YMMV.

• arieonlinearieonline Member
    edited October 2012

openvpn on tcp 995 and ssh tunnel on port 143 works great on 128MB OpenVZ

just need about 10 minute to install openvpn...