Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RAM vs CPU Model
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RAM vs CPU Model

ServerServer Member
edited November 2015 in Help

Hello,

I'm in a dilemma of choosing between VPS with higher ram but older CPU model (3GB/AMD Opteron 6128) and another one with lower ram but newer CPU model. (1GB/E3-1245V2)

The VPS will be used for hosting several community that involve storing and streaming of images and videos. cPanel control panel will be installed on it.

Assuming both VPS are the same price and has Xen Virtualization, 2 CPU Priority, 200GB HDD, which VPS should I go with?

RAM vs CPU Model
  1. Which should I choose?57 votes
    1. Higher RAM, Older CPU
      40.35%
    2. Lower RAM, Newer CPU
      59.65%

Comments

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Doesn't only depend on the technical side also depends on what environment the server will run for eg. nginx + 1 gb ram + E3 could be sufficient by itself if you get ssd will be a plus to get faster read/write speeds...

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Will your usage be CPU Intensive / Ram Intensive ?

2 GB Ram & E3-1245v2 could be Great for any purpose.

And also, as you've mentioned this is a VPS, you need to clarify how many CPU Cores access you'll be having !

• ServerServer Member
    edited November 2015

@BharatB said:
    Doesn't only depend on the technical side also depends on what environment the server will run for eg. nginx + 1 gb ram + E3 could be sufficient by itself if you get ssd will be a plus to get faster read/write speeds...

It will be installed with cPanel control panel, hence it will be using Apache. We may consider to use nginx reverse proxy in the future though. SSD is not an option as it will be too costly for the storage requirement.

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Will your usage be CPU Intensive / Ram Intensive ?

2 GB Ram & E3-1245v2 could be Great for any purpose.

And also, as you've mentioned this is a VPS, you need to clarify how many CPU Cores access you'll be having !

I'm not sure about it being CPU or RAM intensive. I've been running some of it on a 1GB XEN VPS without problem (AFAIK) but now I would like to consolidate them into a single machine with additions of new projects.

I actually thought of 2GB Ram and E3-1245v2, but that would be double the cost and unless it's really needed, I would rather not spend the unnecessary money.

It's 2 CPU Priority, added into my OP.

Thank you.

As you stated, you'll be running cPanel instance & I'm running about 20 cPanel Server concurrently for the last 3 Years, I can ensure you that cPanel doesn't actually use 1 GB of Ram, so going with the Powerful CPU, E3-1245v2 would be great. If the load spikes, try to tweak your server & if it's not resolved, you've to increase your Ram to 2GB (I don't think this is going to happen).

Best of Luck, Keep us updated :)

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Don't forget to opt for KVM or any fully isolated container instead of openVZ or else you're only creating problems for yourself.

@BharatB said:
    KVM or any fully isolated container instead of openVZ

It's Xen as he stated.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited November 2015

I personally would go for better CPU over RAM as I can always upgrade the RAM if I need it, but CPU would result a server change which means more hassle. I have about 15ish sites (with 5 of them having traffic, the other 10 are just playing around/on sale domains) running on a 2GB server, and it never gone over 768MB ram, most of the time it sits around 550-600MB. This is a OVZ server however, so Xen will use slight more ram than this, but 1GB should still be enough. Just make sure the server is using SSD so in case you need to swap, it won't take years.

It really depends on how your applications performance with the given resource, best would try both and find out. Go for monthly billing and if it works well, change to annually if needed.

• cPanel only requires more RAM when you do EasyApache update so when norm level goes to about 600MB - 700MB, that's when you'll need to either run EasyApache update via command line or upgrade to a better server.

• the new cpu anyday.

@TarZZ92 said:
    the new cpu anyday.

I was waiting for your Reply :P as you have better knowledge in Single Core CPU Performance :-)

• RAM can be good as you could use it to cache popular objects / files / php scripts and it would reduce the need for a powerful CPU + your I/O...

• ServerServer Member
    edited November 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    the new cpu anyday.

Any reasons why do you prefer a newer CPU to more RAM?

Personally I'm more inclined towards the plan with more RAM but older CPU as I was often told that more RAM is required to handle higher load.

Many providers also promote their offers based on their RAM offers instead of their CPU model.

• chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
    edited November 2015

The way your intend to use the server does not seem to be cpu-intensive, so a better cpu gets you nothing in real performance. If you use apache as your web server, and it constantly forks for incoming connections, RAM can buy you more time before the VPS starts to swap (or processes killed due to lack of memory).

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited November 2015

Server said: Any reasons why do you prefer a newer CPU to more RAM?

everything really also the obvious it will be much faster, single threaded wise it will be 4/5 times faster. so the intel is the best bet.

The opteron wise 2 cores performs about the same as a cheap windows tablet (Z3735F)

Thanked by 1Server
  • the new CPU lower ram option is much better in my opinion. You can always increase ram allocation if needed, which doesn't sound like you will with what you said you're gonna run on it. So the faster CPU is recomended on my part

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

As the server is serving content, I would vote for RAM. You could always get multiples and balance the load between them. (This would also help with bandwidth usage too)

• i vote for CPU,

but depend its how many cpu core do you have???

• If the one with higher RAM has 2T RAM, and the one with lower RAM has 1T, then I would chose the lower one. I think you need to state how high is high, and how low is low.

• @elgs said:
    If the one with higher RAM has 2T RAM, and the one with lower RAM has 1T, then I would chose the lower one. I think you need to state how high is high, and how low is low.

If you have read the thread thoroughly you would have see it. It is already stated in the first post.

Not sure what do you mean by 2T RAM or 1T RAM.

• @Server said:
    Not sure what do you mean by 2T RAM or 1T RAM.

Sorry. I saw that 3G vs 1G. My eyes definitely were not working. I apologize.