Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interest in 100meg Unmetered VPS at $27/mo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interest in 100meg Unmetered VPS at $27/mo?

CoreyCorey Member
edited November 2015 in General

I'm sure someone else has already done this before but I can't find who or where. Is there any interest in a 100meg unmetered vps at $27/mo? 1gig of ram. Or is this price too high? Keep in mind this is 100meg per vps, not shared on the node.

Comments

• Corey said: 100meg unmetered vps at $27/mo? 1gig of ram. Or is this price too high

way to high.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    way to high

What would you expect the price to be? Can you link me some people that are doing it cheaper?

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

If it is 100 mbit per VPS, maybe. If it is shared, no.

• @Radi said:
    If it is 100 mbit per VPS, maybe. If it is shared, no.

Yes 100mbit per vps.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

What will be your host node's connection?

• @Radi said:
    What will be your host node's connection?

2 + 1Gbit bonded.

• Delimiter's VPS Unlimited 100 offered this about 5 years ago for $20/month (1.5GB RAM, 100GB disk and 100Mbps). In its time it was very popular, but over the past couple of years customers prefer the gigabit connection with a TB allowance.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

With OVH you get 10Gbit per node, and they charge about $3.5 for a 100 Mbit unmetered 2GB of RAM KVM.

• rm_ said: With OVH you get 10Gbit per node, and they charge about $3.5 for a 100 Mbit unmetered 2GB of RAM KVM.

Thanks, I don't have the same buying power as ovh though.

MarkTurner said: Delimiter's VPS Unlimited 100 offered this about 5 years ago for $20/month (1.5GB RAM, 100GB disk and 100Mbps). In its time it was very popular, but over the past couple of years customers prefer the gigabit connection with a TB allowance.

Thank you for that insight.

• @rm_ said:
    With OVH you get 10Gbit per node, and they charge about $3.5 for a 100 Mbit unmetered 2GB of RAM KVM.

Not everyone is OVH. Keep that in mind.

If I take a look at the market in my country, literally every provider is giving you a flat for traffic. That means unmetered 100 Mbit/s without bullshit like 10 Mbit/s after 5 TB or 0.XX € per GB after 5 TB. Sometimes even unmetered 1 Gbit/s but those are rare and mostly heavily shared.

edited November 2015

Hidden_Refuge said: Not everyone is OVH.

And your point is? Now you will tell me how his stuff is magically so much more high-quality than what OVH provides, etc? "Sure we try to rip you off for 10x more expensive as OVH, but uh... you know what, OVH sucks! [add some story about how they didn't reply someone's ticket back in 2012, or how their ancient OVZ VPS lineup sucked]"

Anyways if you don't like OVH, there's also Online.net. Either 200 Mbit for 3 EUR on Scaleway, or 200 Mbit from 6 EUR on dedis. Both a far cry from ridiculous and out-of-touch $27.

If you don't like both, I dunno, how about Wedos? 100 Mbit 2GB KVM for ~4.5 EUR. And the list goes on and on. Finally there's even DigitalOcean who do not meter the bandwidth at the moment. Lots of options and 100 Mbit is not something you can charge $27 for today. Heck you can get some dedis even in the US for less than that.

• @rm_

Wow and nope. All I wanted to say is that not everyone can afford or has the intrastructure to offer what OVH offers at the same price level or even cheaper.

I didn't say I don't like OVH.... or other providers. I agree that $27 is too much.

What's your problem?

• You can probably get away with that pricing at a place where you don't find people who are familiar with cheaper alternatives, like some marketers, seos and small business owners.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

It is too much. For me it would be more attractive to use 30TB @1GBps shared.

• @exception0x876 said:
    It is too much. For me it would be more attractive to use 30TB 1GBps shared.

You do realize you can't get 30TB on 100Mbit even if it's dedicated?

edited November 2015

Hidden_Refuge said: All I wanted to say is that not everyone can afford or has the intrastructure to offer what OVH offers at the same price level or even cheaper.

That you [speaking of a provider] cannot afford something, is solely your problem. Nobody is going to buy from you just because you are a small potatoes operation who doesn't have the scale to offer an attractive deal. Simple as that. Just the [complete information] market at work. As someone said above, you can probably sell whatever to a misinformed user who isn't aware of the current fair price for a certain amount of specs. But to me this would look like a borderline scam.

Hidden_Refuge said: What's your problem?

People spouting vague b/s to sound smarter than they are.

• vedran said: You do realize you can't get 30TB on 100Mbit even if it's dedicated?

On a symmetrical 100Mbps line, you can use a maximum of 33TB a month, that's assuming the bandwidth is used constantly 24/7.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@vedran said:

Is that so?

100/8 = 12.5MB/sec
    12.53600 = 45000MB/hour
    24 = 1080000MB/day
    1080000*30 = 32400000MB/month
    32400000 / 1024 = 31640.625 GB/month
    31640.625 / 1024 = 30.8990478515625 TB/month

So in ideal world you can.

• exception0x876 said: in ideal world

Good luck with that!

Thanked by 2doghouch Mark_R
  • teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited November 2015

@vedran said:

In case where you get full speed and use it all day long the whole month you can get a bit more than 30 TB with a 100 Mbit/s connection.

100 Megabit/second in *byte are

Per second: 12.5 Megabyte

Per minute: 750 Megabyte

Per hour: 45,00 Gigabyte

Per day: 1,08 Terabyte

Per month: 32,40 Terabyte

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bit_rates

So as he is offering VPSs I suppose he will set the limit to exactly 100 Mbit/s (12.5 MB/s). He said it would be dedicated per VPS. So if someone would plan to actually use the 100 Mbit/s 24x7 a whole month and would really get the max speed all the time 32 TB are no issue.

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    So as he is offering VPSs I suppose he will set the limit to exactly 100 Mbit/s (12.5 MB/s). He said it would be dedicated per VPS. So if someone would plan to actually use the 100 Mbit/s 24x7 a whole month and would really get the max speed all the time 32 TB are no issue.

Depends if its full duplex? Thats 100 up 100 down. Max 64,80TB/month

Thanked by 1teknolaiz
  • teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited November 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Depends if its full duplex? Thats 100 up 100 down. Max 64,80TB/month

My example was just a simple download example. So basically if you only keep downloading a huge file all the time into /dev/null at full speed the whole month long. Should have mentioned that probably.

If you of course go full duplex and do both at the same time you get the double amount of used traffic. So it actually gets even easier to just use over 30 TB with doing down and upload tasks.

• But remember there is going to be a contention somewhere.

100Mbps dedicated - where does it go from dedicated to contended?

Lets say you have 10GE connection then thats (in vague terms) 100 VPS maximum on that server. Which is connected back to a 10GE port, which is aggregated into what? 40GE, 100GE? Has the contention started yet?

Then that is connected back to a router with 40GE/100GE? aggregate of either? Then upstream capacity, is contended there?

Clearly this concept of 100Mbps dedicated capacity, isn't real. 100Mbps at $1/Mbps = $100/month and its sold for $5.

There must be a contention in there somewhere. If you study OVH's network map and work out their capacity out of their sites, its humongous but then work out how many servers are there, its clearly not dedicated capacity.

I think when these people talk of dedicated capacity it means that there is sufficient capacity from that server to the core of the network and you can expect under most conditions the dedicated capacity.

• @MarkTurner you've very valid points there. And I totally agree that something like that isn't real but it still would be possible if not everyone is doing the same at the same time and the backbones and et cetera aren't saturated.

Let's just call it "best case scenario".

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • Hidden_Refuge said: Let's just call it "best case scenario".

There were some photos of some servers, I think on Online's network attached to a little 1U switch. If I remember rightly (I may not) they had 40 servers attached each advertised with 200Mbps and 2 x 1GE uplink.

This 'dedicated' capacity is just marketing babble just unlike unlimited internet or unlimited storage.

• At that price range, I'm better off purchasing a Kimsufi that will offer higher specs and guaranteed resources.

edited November 2015

MarkTurner said: they had 40 servers attached each advertised with 200Mbps and 2 x 1GE uplink.

LOL nope of course not -- and you should know better than trying to spread such silly slander against your competitor. Their whole "guaranteed bandwidth" deal is basically how many servers share a switch uplink without counting in any overselling. 200 Mbit * 40, that'll have to be 8 Gbit, or most likely just 10GE (and not 40 servers, but 48).

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2015

Not on kidechire which is uplinked by 2x1GE only. Illiad also does not put 48 servers in a rack as they use 48U racks, it is likely around 40 to maximum 45.

• @rm_ said:
    LOL nope of course not -- and you should know better than trying to spread such silly slander against your competitor. Their whole "guaranteed bandwidth" deal is basically how many servers share a switch uplink without counting in any overselling. 200 Mbit * 40, that'll have to be 8 Gbit, or most likely just 10GE (and not 40 servers, but 48).

It was the SC Gen 2s. There is a video somewhere

William said: Not on kidechire which is uplinked by 2x1GE only.

He mentioned servers "advertised with 200Mbps", so wasn't talking about the Kidechire.