Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OwnCloud on a VPS or MEGA
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OwnCloud on a VPS or MEGA

Hello!

I need cloud storage, and what should you choose for?
Owncloud running on a Digitalocean VPS or MEGA.

Comments

• jhjh Member

What is your priority? Security/space/good sync?

I bit the bullet and got Dropbox recently because its sync is actually fast and reliable and it's plug and play with a lot of stuff. For sensitive stuff I just created an encrypted volume inside.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

your server usually = more control. mega.co.nz has a dubious history. ask people here for more info.

you'd be better off running owncloud on a hdd vps/cheap dedi with more storage.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • It's all of those factors: Security, Space and good sync.
    Is Mega not the ideal option for me?

• jhjh Member
    edited November 2015

Mega was taken over by the NZ govt AFAIK, so no.

BitTorrent Sync and an encrypted disk is promising but was a resource hog on Mac and doesn't have an easy sharing mechanism for individual files. OwnCloud's sync didn't sync well in my experience.

Box.com claims to be secure but admit that their staff have the keys to your data.

Tresorit looks very interesting but sadly expensive.

This is the path that led me to Dropbox with an encrypted volume inside.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • ThomLSAThomLSA Member
    edited November 2015

@GM2015 said:
    your server usually = more control. mega.co.nz has a dubious history. ask people here for more info.

you'd be better off running owncloud on a hdd vps/cheap dedi with more storage.

Do you really think thats safe, to make a own server including OwnCloud?
    And taking the risk that you lose all your data when a provider just flies away

• @jh said:

BitTorrent Sync and an encrypted disk is promising but was a resource hog on Mac and doesn't have an easy sharing mechanism for individual files. OwnCloud's sync didn't sync well in my experience.

Box.com claims to be secure but admit that their staff have the keys to your data.

Tresorit looks very interesting but sadly expensive.

This is the path that led me to Dropbox with an encrypted volume inside.

Digitalocean's free plans only provide 2GB of storage.
    And i think its too expensive when you want more.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

Well, don't be a moron and don't buy from a provider that's too small then. There's always a risk with anything you do. You sound like you don't dare to take responsibility for your own life.

Consider:

online.net
    ovh
    hetzner.de
    delimitervps
    dacentec
    wholesaleinternet

many others

for dedicated servers. Buy from direct providers, not from resellers.

If owncloud's for your own use, don't go out and tell all your friends about it.

ThomLSA said: Do you really think thats safe, to make a own server including OwnCloud? And taking the risk that you lose all your data when a provider just flies away

• @jh said:

Proof?

• @ThomLSA said:
    And taking the risk that you lose all your data when a provider just flies away

Backup first, ask later. Just use duply + strong PGP passphrase or key and sync backups to S3, Hubic or whatever.

• @jh said:

>

I use syncthing as a replacement for BT sync. I didn't like how you only needed the key to get all the files in a share. Sure it's random Blah blah blah, and you could disable global discovery. But still, Syncthing requires two way trust between the nodes. Each node has to be setup with each other's device ID before they can share anything. Plus you can host your own discovery server so your device ID and IP aren't public.

I then have it synced with Pydio, used to use owncloud as my web frontend. Don't really know which I like more though.

Thanked by 1GM2015