Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paying for free service?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Paying for free service?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Hello all.

Some of you may already know about us (www.VPSBiT.com).

We have been offering free VPS since June. We first posted on another forum but a member here has shared our offer here and demand has since exploded. Now our free nodes get filled up within a matter of hours. For those who have been lucky enough to grab some of our limited stock, I hope you have enjoyed using it!

We plan to continue running our free nodes for the foreseeable future. So there are no plans to discontinue the service for new or existing users.

We are however considering offering the same VPS, which is normally free, for a small fee. I would be interested in knowing what you all think about this idea.

The free VPS currently includes the following:

1 vCPU
512MB RAM
10GB HDD
10Mbit Port
100GB Data Transfer
Selection of Operating System
Xen Hypervisor
1 Dedicated IPv4 Address

Main limitation on this is of course nothing illegal (or even questionable), and no e-mail related activities what so ever.

We are considering offer this for $1 /month.

Again, free VPS would still be on offer. However we would supply more stock of the $1 option.

Your thoughts are welcome. Please give us your feedback. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Sounds like a good $12/yr Xen VPS to me. Users may probably be concerned about the port speed and bandwidth though. There are lots of those small yearly deals and most come with more bandwidth and port speed.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Not bad, but that's not exclusive.
    Someone preceded you:

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/vps/

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @andreamada said:
    Not bad, but that's not exclusive.

Nothing is exclusive. Before Dacentec did it others did it already. Most don't do monthly plans due to fees (eg PayPal) and et cetera. So they sell these VPSs as yearly plans.

• It would OK except for the port speed.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Hidden_Refuge said:
    Nothing is exclusive. Before Dacentec did it others did it already. Most don't do monthly plans due to fees (eg PayPal) and et cetera. So they sell these VPSs as yearly plans.

That's correct. There are no earnings behind it, it's like providing it for free due to PayPal fees.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Hidden_Refuge said: Sounds like a good $12/yr Xen VPS to me. Users may probably be concerned about the port speed and bandwidth though. There are lots of those small yearly deals and most come with more bandwidth and port speed.

We would do it monthly if paying by CarrotPay or BitCoins. Obviously Paypal would be completely pointless, but there are other methods that may make sense.

sandro said: It would OK except for the port speed.

So if the port was 100Mbit?

• sandrosandro Member
    edited November 2015

For 100Mbit I would consider it. Just curious...is the BW so expensive that needs to be limited at 100GB? Nobody offers that low BW...
    Anyway yeah 100MBit is much better, 10Mbit is way too low and could easily slow down applications.

• Is the paid same specs as free?

sandro said: For 100Mbit I would consider it. Just curious...is the BW so expensive that needs to be limited at 100GB? Nobody offers that low BW... Anyway yeah 100MBit is much better, 10Mbit is way too low and could easily slow down applications.

I suppose we could increase it. Seemed like a nice number to set for the free stuff.

Thanked by 1sandro

masterqqq said: Is the paid same specs as free?

Do you mean the $1 stuff or our ACTUAL paid plans?

Actual paid plans run on Xeon / Enterprise hardware.

Free plans run on surplus hardware. Typically new (3rd/4th Gen i7s). My thinking was for $1 /month it would basically be the same as the free VPS. We would not put it in the same class as our standard paid VPS line.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited November 2015

Free is free, paid is paid. Even something as cheap as $1.35/year dollarvz or $3/year lowendspirit is still a paid service. Instead of "paying for free service?", the question should be "we want to offer this specs for $1/month, interested?"

My answer would then "No, unless it has better network speed"

Thanked by 3lazyt netomx colingpt

DalComp said: "No, unless it has better network speed"

100M port is not a problem. Not that anyone ever uses this much... regardless.

• I'm using their free services for testing things. I am not actively monitoring the service but I didn't experience network slowness, etc.

• I prefer no at the terms of quality.
    Especially when the paid one is on the same free server, which is pretty bloated atm.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Well, selling for free.. ?
    Then how it is selling ?

• @randvegeta
    The free VPS current specs

1 vCPU
    512MB RAM
    10GB HDD
    10Mbit Port
    100GB Data Transfer
    Xen Hypervisor
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address

Paid vps can be (Just my suggestion)

1 vCPU
    1 GB RAM
    20GB HDD
    100Mbit Port
    1TB Data Transfer
    Xen Hypervisor 
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address

this you do

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

My opinion:

The 'paid' services should separated from orders which were actually 'free'. Example - deployed on nodes that only contain this 'paid' services. This could improve service level and customer confidence. However, if you see it as no different, then place them on the same nodes with no differentiation on how it was obtained.

Increasing the port speed would be a more attractive offer.

deployvm said: Example - deployed on nodes that only contain this 'paid' services.

The plan is to offer the same service but on separate nodes. We can tweak the service a little to include more bandwidth / data transfer but otherwise the basic package would be the same. But indeed they would be entirely separate nodes.

simonindia said: this you do

We have a similar package, with 1GB RAM and 40GB HDD or 10GB SSD. It costs US$7 /month (with LET discount)

Fritz said: I prefer no at the terms of quality. Especially when the paid one is on the same free server, which is pretty bloated atm.

Have there been any issues with quality for the free VPS? What do you consider 'bloated'?
    We're talking about Xen VMs (not containers) on nodes that are not oversold. Not to say it is impossible to oversell Xen, and of course resources are ultimately still 'shared' but the major resources like RAM and Disk are dedicated in that fixed resources are allocated to each VM. What more could be expected from a $1 /month VPS?

• Will the vCpu be the same 500 Mhz?

• randvegeta said: 10Mbit Port

100GB Data Transfer

This is 2015 in Lithuania and not some shitty 3rd world country in Asia - 10Mbit are shit and no one should offer that anymore. My damn smartwatch does more BW than that.

100GB data is pretty low but at 1$ not bad. RAM/HDD is ok. Xen is nice.

randvegeta said: on nodes that are not oversold

I believe you do "dedicated" CPU at 1$ once i see it from a node, before that you can say many things :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

I think my not-so-smart phone has even a slower 3G bandwidth than your watch.

William said: My damn smartwatch does

Paying for free service?

Isn't that a paradox? If you pay for it, it's not free as in price.

William said: This is 2015 in Lithuania and not some shitty 3rd world country in Asia - 10Mbit are shit and no one should offer that anymore. My damn smartwatch does more BW than that.

100GB data is pretty low but at 1$ not bad. RAM/HDD is ok. Xen is nice.

randvegeta said: on nodes that are not oversold

I believe you do "dedicated" CPU at 1$ once i see it from a node, before that you can say many things :)

Well I've already said that 100M would be standard. Actually if you try our FREE stuff now, you will also find it's not actually capped to 10M.

100GB I think is fair for $1. We MIGHT make it 200GB just to make it a bit better value.

As for the CPU, of course we won't be doing 'dedicated' CPU. But when is it really ever dedicated with any VPS.

GM2015 said: Paying for free service?

Isn't that a paradox? If you pay for it, it's not free as in price.

It's more like paying for a package with same specs as our free VPS at, I believe, very good price!

• In addition to speed & bandwidth, I believe paying users would also like to have a clearer idea of what you consider 'questionable'-legal usage, in a clear TOS.

• @farsighter said:
    In addition to speed & bandwidth, I believe paying users would also like to have a clearer idea of what you consider 'questionable'-legal usage, in a clear TOS.

So read http://vpsbit.com/tos.php and http://vpsbit.com/aup.php

Thanked by 1randvegeta

farsighter said: I believe paying users would also like to have a clearer idea of what you consider 'questionable'-legal usage, in a clear TOS.

Our free users should take note too! Hence we have indeed published an AUP/TOS. Additional restrictions apply to the free VPS. It's amazing how some people refuse to acknowledge the existence of said restrictions, even though they are published on the page where you actually sign up for the free VPS! Then they are amazed when they get terminated. Some get angry then spew abuse for several days via tickets. I'd publish them if it wouldn't be some violation of privacy. Shame

• Well, main post hints that those VPS (like existing free ones) will be subject to more restrictions than in company's regular TOS, which are covered under the general definition of 'questionable' usage.
    I've just commented that it would be better to make it clearer, that's all.

• @farsighter said:
    Well, main post hints that those VPS (like existing free ones) will be subject to more restrictions than in company's regular TOS, which are covered under the general definition of 'questionable' usage.
    I've just commented that it would be better to make it clearer, that's all.

Read their ToS/AUP plus info on http://vpsbit.com/free-vps.php it is all there. Everything general in their ToS/AUP and additional restriction on the free vps page.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited November 2015

@Hidden_Refuge said:
    Read their ToS/AUP plus info on http://vpsbit.com/free-vps.php it is all there. Everything general in their ToS/AUP and additional restriction on the free vps page.

You're not getting my point.
    Even their free VPS page is saying "if you think it might not be okay, or you have to ask, it's probably not okay".
    I'm speaking exactly about that grey area defined as questionable usage, which paying users should get a better idea of, IMHO.

Should I put that clearer?

@farsighter, it is very clear. If you HAVE to ask, its NOT okay. We do not want you to ask, so just assume no. We arent going to write an exhaustive list of what is and is not acceptable. That is unrealistic.

• @andreamada said:
    That's correct. There are no earnings behind it, it's like providing it for free due to PayPal fees.

I wish that I could charge for PayPal... apparently, charging a 8% tax for using PayPal for payment isn't allowed...

Thanked by 1randvegeta