Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ColoCrossing DDoS protection experience? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ColoCrossing DDoS protection experience?

2»

Comments

• @Frecyboy said:
    Thats the right spelling to say I understand it, right?

I suppose.

Thanked by 2Frecyboy Clouvider
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2015

mpkossen said: No need to DDoS a provider to test their protection

I am OVH. I sell you 1Tbit protection at 99$, you go down and i tell you it was 2Tbit attack, you just believe me? Obviously you test a service you bought, don't give a shit if it is DDoS protection, HW or BW - If i paid for it then i have any right to use it as intended, which if i want also includes DDoSing myself.

mpkossen said: Tricky to find out who it is though

Getting a bit paranoid over there? Low sea level causing issues?

jbiloh said: Our solution, which utilizes numerous technologies and platforms is good but not perfect.

>solution

>edge capacity less than 50Gbit

lol^2015

• Oh oh, William, watch out... ;-)

• Amitz said: Oh oh, William, watch out... ;-)

Already?

• vRozenSch00n said: Already?

No, but Damocles is swinging the ban hammer easily nowadays...

• classyclassy Member
    edited November 2015

Agree you should be able to ddos your own protection.

I'm not into this kind of misery, but if you can take down your "DDoS protected vps" with some service you found online for $25/mo you know it's not good because your enemies can buy the same thing for $25/mo and there goes your site..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2015

If I buy fire insurance I should be able to burn my house down.

...wrong.

In the US it is a federal crime. You don't have permission from everyone in between, nor permission of the owner of the network or server, unless otherwise stated. A DDOS can impact more than just the end point, protection is not a toy it is a best effort to keep you online against the wishes of criminals.

I do, however, condone openly admitting that you DDOS your own servers, as well as providing identifiable information so that the providers in question can terminate your services.

• Guns don't kill people. People with guns kill people. Right?

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • jarland said: In the US it is a federal crime

Here it was not even illegal to ddos someone else until some time ago... ddosing yourself will not hold up in court, it is consuming paid services. If your protection is good you should not be afraid of that.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
    edited November 2015

The two camps on LET:

1. Those who want services for incredible prices.

2. Those obsessed with ruining it for everyone.

This thread is filled with people in camp #2. Have your opinions, but enjoy driving up the prices of services you need by demanding dedicated DDOS protection on a VPS, with the bully tactic of attacking your providers.

Thanked by 2Cpt_Ben lbft
  • @jarland said:
    The two camps on LET:

Jarland :(

I'm in neither of these two camp. I am here for the fun. I don't buy service nor do I try to ruin any providers business.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jarland said:
    The two camps on LET:

1. Those who want services for incredible prices.

2. Those obsessed with ruining it for everyone.

This thread is filled with people in camp #2. Have your opinions, but enjoy driving up the prices of services you need by demanding dedicated DDOS protection on a VPS, with the bully tactic of attacking your providers.

So you are not into quality assurance? you will just take the provider's word for it and never test if the paid-for product is working correctly and discover later its faulty? you make it sound like the people in this thread do it for all the wrong reasons.

It would be nice if there was a site that shows which providers sell working ddos protections, real tests done with detailed reports on what attacks have been dodged and how much raw udp floods a provider can tank away before shutting you off - we wouldn't have to test ourselfs if such site existed, so far i haven't come agross such site/service.

@Mark_R if you really need the protection it shouldn't be hard to test. Point to it, let your enemies do their usual thing. But if everyone is expected to test out the shared protection, rest assured you will drive protection out of the low end market by making it the new "dd benchmark."

• jarland said: In the US it is a federal crime.

And don't forget it just being a really scummy thing to do. Abusing a shared, limited resource just to get your e-penis hard... Wow, you can use a credit card to buy a booter. That takes a lot of skill.

But then this forum has been infested with skids like cockroaches for a long time, and nobody's shown much interest in fumigating the place.

• @jarland said:
    Mark_R if you really need the protection it shouldn't be hard to test. Point to it, let your enemies do their usual thing. But if everyone is expected to test out the shared protection, rest assured you will drive protection out of the low end market by making it the new "dd benchmark."

I cant disagree with that.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarland said: But if everyone is expected to test out the shared protection, rest assured you will drive protection out of the low end market by making it the new "dd benchmark."

It'll be good for the criminals that operate DDoS for hire businesses though.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2015

Hidden_Refuge said: I'm in neither of these two camp. I am here for the fun.

SPLITTER!!!

You are either part of the "People's Front of Judea" or the "Popular Front for the Liberation of Judea". There is no inbetween!

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

If attacking yourself for 60 seconds to make sure something won't go down is abuse, then so must be someone hitting you maliciously.

If you've paid for something, you should at least beable to test it out.

While I understand that the protection isn't dedicated, I think using a small amount of it to see if your server will drop is fine. If it causes issues, stop the attack.

• Hiring a bodyguard doesn't entitle you to pay someone to come up and try and smack them in the face to see how well they deal with attacks.

• lbft said: Hiring a bodyguard doesn't entitle you to pay someone to come up and try and smack them in the face to see how well they deal with attacks.

Thanked by 1xijinRK

@lbft said:
    Hiring a bodyguard doesn't entitle you to pay someone to come up and try and smack them in the face to see how well they deal with attacks.

Bodyguards are usually trained and certified, you can see their history... their history can be verified by third parties.

Usually with DDoS protection, as in the case of this thread, the only party that can truly verify is a first party - and they can say pretty much anything they want, it doesn't make it true. If they had someone reputable test it, and post a public statement - I personally would not need to test it.

• Keep it legal, people.

It is not legal to "test" DDoS protection in U.S.

It shouldn't be legal anywhere. Obviously, you are not just attacking your own rented server, but the entire network it is on when you "test" DDoS protection.

LordSpock said: Usually with DDoS protection, as in the case of this thread, the only party that can truly verify is a first party - and they can say pretty much anything they want, it doesn't make it true. If they had someone reputable test it, and post a public statement - I personally would not need to test it.

You don't "need" to test it anyways. If you don't trust a certain provider to make accurate statements about their DDoS protection, work with someone else. If you don't trust any of them, foot the bill for a few 10Gbps links to build your own network that you can attack at will.

Thanked by 4KamA lbft jar Clouvider

@singsing said:
    It is not legal to "test" DDoS protection in U.S.

Crucial bit there, the U.S. - not everyone lives there :)

To "test" for 60 seconds to make sure you're not gonna drop like a stone to the ground under a basic attack should be fine. I'd rather not have the people I'm playing a game with get rudely interrupted by some script kiddie hitting me off.