Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cost to Build Website: Points Website For Reading News Articles
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cost to Build Website: Points Website For Reading News Articles

ZealZeal Member
edited November 2015 in Help

How much would this cost?

I'm thinking mysql to handle the database portion.
For popup management, I think javascript will be fine.

Features:

• Choose how long a news article to be read. Ex.: Longer Articles = Window must be open.

• Say the requirement is to read the article for 3 minutes, if the window is closed, a redirect
    occurs and no points is given.

• 30 seconds/read = 1 point

• Article opens up in a new tab

• Article links pulled from database

• If tab with article is closed stop timer

• Only the desired amount of time spent reading is credited. Ex.: A article awards 6 points for reading it for 3 minutes, but will not give credit before 3 minutes or extra after 3 minutes is reached.

• Choose how often each article can be viewed for points, like once a day per IP.

• Setting is article is disabled or not

• Login and registration secured with Capatcha

• Before being able to read articles, must confirm email.

• Unlimited amount of readers open, but limit to one account per household.

• A link without logging in where you can read and earn points.
    www.xxx.com/[email protected] . So if they share link with friends, they earn, cause after all this is a website promoting to read the news

• Option for users to enable auto-read where the next article loads after the times passes.

• Auto-read for membership enabled users.

• Daily Quiz with a random question from random article that awards points.

• Ads for non-paid users.

• Anti proxy

• Limit to articles viewable by free members

• Limit of how many times a article can be viewed hourly

• Total limit on overall how many times a article can be read.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just basic operations. Text is all fine. ^_^

Sorry if this is in wrong section.

Comments

• I can tell you anti-proxy will cost you a lot, maxmind charges $5 per 1k queries and blocked charges even more.

• ZealZeal Member
    edited November 2015

@black said:
    I can tell you anti-proxy will cost you a lot, maxmind charges $5 per 1k queries and blocked charges even more.

Thank you for sharing your expertise with me. I have decided to not include anti-proxy for now and probably try cloud-flare as a temporary solution.

If you know where I can order such a custom website or your willing to help me code it. Let me know, and I will try to work something out.

• What's your budget?

• ZealZeal Member
    edited November 2015

@0xdragon said:
    What's your budget?

My budget is $50.00-$100.00, I really don't mind a website with just text. It's just to share news, not images. ^_^

Do you think it's doable?

• @Zeal said:
    Do you think it's doable?

At this price? Probably not unless you know someone personally, or can find a pre-made script for it. :)

• ZealZeal Member
    edited November 2015

@0xdragon said:

Okay thanks, any suggestions on where I should go from here. I really want to run this website. <3's

• Zeal said: My budget is $50.00-$100.00

An hour's pay?

• Well, I don't make that much an hour. But, I really want to run this site. Tips?

• You want to give out points for reading articles? What's the point of that? And then you want to give paying members "auto-read", which lets them accumulate points without reading? What's the point of letting people cheat (assuming there is a point to having them read in the first place)?

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited November 2015

Zeal said: Well, I don't make that much an hour.

Me neither. :) However, web development (at least in Canada) is charged at between $40 and $80 per hour. What I mean is to ask you is if you really think that somebody could do a site like that in an hour or two. I think they'd have to be some real hotshot, and in that case they might actually charge more.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • ZealZeal Member
    edited November 2015

@singsing said:
    You want to give out points for reading articles? What's the point of that? And then you want to give paying members "auto-read", which lets them accumulate points without reading? What's the point of letting people cheat (assuming there is a point to having them read in the first place)?

The article only gives so much points I'm planning. They don't get credit for reading longer, so i don't want to waste their time. The major part of site I want is a attentive reader. I can't reward everyone, your correct. But, the large points will come from daily random quiz.
    Points will be for badges on the site, but I plan to also reset it monthly/

• @Ole_Juul said:

This is my first time, ty for this information.

• I don't have enough time to help you, but I have to say, this is an interesting idea in my opinion. Good luck!