Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedi or abuseable VPS with graphics card
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedi or abuseable VPS with graphics card

I know this topic has been and gone in the past, but there's never been a resolution before.

With all the new LE* friendly dedi providers on the market, are there any with a graphics card/on board GPU?

At a pinch I'll take a VPS with the same if you don't mind me raping the cores and GPU for a few hours a day.

Europe or East Coast US.

Cheers.

Comments

• Would a E3-1225v3 work?

• @MarkTurner said:
    Would a E3-1225v3 work?

Dunno, how much?

• How much BW? What location? I can essentially sell you a dedicated AMD 6950 inside a KVM but BW is pretty limited and NAT only currently.

• @William said:
    How much BW? What location? I can essentially sell you a dedicated AMD 6950 inside a KVM but BW is pretty limited and NAT only currently.

Minimal bandwidth; after setup (no more than 20GB), I just need sufficient transfer to maintain a Remote Desktop session for a few hours a day.

Any location with under 100ms to London.

NAT is fine, my own IPv4 isn't needed.

• Actually i3-4130 would be cheaper - last unit. I am pretty sure they have HD4400 on board.

i3-4130

8GB RAM

1TB Disk

5TB on GE

We can probably get it for $25/month as its the last piece.

• @core_rapist may I know what you'll be able to abuse with a gnome desktop?

• MarkTurner said: i3-4130

Pretty good at 25$.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @MarkTurner said:
    Actually i3-4130 would be cheaper - last unit. I am pretty sure they have HD4400 on board.

i3-4130

8GB RAM

1TB Disk

5TB on GE

We can probably get it for $25/month as its the last piece.

Great, I've still got $60 of credit with you due to overpayments so I'll have a crack at that for please. I assume that's $25/month pis monthly? Don't want to committing a longer term until I've proven I can do what I want.

• @century1stop said:
    core_rapist may I know what you'll be able to abuse with a gnome desktop?

All in good time, my poppet.

• quite ambiguous :D

• Cheers Mark

• Fucking hell, delivered already.

I'm still looking for other possibilities in case this doesn't work.

• Nekki said: Fucking hell, delivered already.

It probably didn't need to get reviewed because you were paying from account credit.

• MarkTurner said: It probably didn't need to get reviewed because you were paying from account credit.

I think I spoke to soon, the server is there but I can't reinstall the OS yet so I assume there's still some setup ongoing.

No rush.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Nekki said: I think I spoke to soon, the server is there but I can't reinstall the OS yet so I assume there's still some setup ongoing.

Open a ticket that should work straight off the bat

• Just a quick question for MarkTurner :

Can we install our on ISO with Delimiter ? Is there any IPMI/KVM available ?

Also, do you have any server like that one in stock with a dedicated GPU ?

Thank you.

• @Winne better to do this @MarkTurner :)

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • Winne said: Can we install our on ISO with Delimiter ? Is there any IPMI/KVM available ?

On all our blade servers there is a full IPMI/KVM, these all have virtual media so you can mount and ISO and boot from it.

Which ISO did you want to boot?

Also, do you have any server like that one in stock with a dedicated GPU ?

Do you mean GPU as part of the CPU or standalone? Which GPU are you trying to get?

• MarkTurner said: Open a ticket that should work straight off the bat

Done. 12 minute resolution :-)

century1stop said: quite ambiguous :D

All may be revealed.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • So, server has the goods, but now I'm struggling to configure the video card drivers under Debian. Anyone got any suggestions?

• @Nekki said:
    So, server has the goods, but now I'm struggling to configure the video card drivers under Debian. Anyone got any suggestions?

does debian has something like PPA of latest mesa git builds? if not build and install latest mesa git. older/stable version of mesa is bad.

if you're going for video encoding maybe windows is better for you because Intel Quick Sync.

• @Nekki said:
    So, server has the goods, but now I'm struggling to configure the video card drivers under Debian. Anyone got any suggestions?
    I've installed gnome desktop (Centos) and it was running flash player with just an Adobe install, only issue, sound wasn't working. Shouldn't it be the same in your case?

• @Nekki said:
    NAT is fine, my own IPv4 isn't needed.

Footy Manager?

• @century1stop said:
    I've installed gnome desktop (Centos) and it was running flash player with just an Adobe install, only issue, sound wasn't working. Shouldn't it be the same in your case?

No, you can do all of that without needing a GPU. I need to run an application that requires a GPU, so that GPU needs to be properly configured at the OS level in order to it to be utilised.

@lybxlpsv said:
    like PPA of latest mesa git builds? if not build and install latest mesa git. older/stable version of mesa is bad.

Pretty sure I have that installed already, but I'll recheck.

@hostnoob said:
    Footy Manager?

:-)

• My word, this is serious work. You'd have thought it'd be easier to get a graphics card to work under Linux a little more easily these days.

• lybxlpsvlybxlpsv Member
    edited November 2015

@Nekki said:
    My word, this is serious work. You'd have thought it'd be easier to get a graphics card to work under Linux a little more easily these days.

how do you access the server? if VNC, the vnc server must support libGL Extension. (try fedora if you're lazy, I mostly use fedora for 3d on VNC because it just werks.) or x11vnc to remote the main display as it has OpenGL.

even without gpu/on a vps footy manager should also run from swrast gallium llvmpipe which also have OpenGL 3.3.

• My suggestion.

No idea exactly about your budget for this, but what about renting some EC2 GPU spot instances? Sometimes the price for some of these is really cheap, and since you need this a few hours a day, that may work for you.

Maybe depending on your workload, your processing will be even faster than using integrated graphics, because they use more powerful cards.