Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building my own Smart DNS server for Netflix. Do I need a super VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Building my own Smart DNS server for Netflix. Do I need a super VPS?

tittooo7tittooo7 Member
edited November 2015 in General

Hi,

I have 2 OpenVZ vps servers with Ramnode that I use to host some websites.
Ramnode is not the cheapest VPS provider but I’m quite happy with their servers due to their uptime, speed and their helpful irc channel. If I had to buy more VPS to host websites I’ll do it with ramnode again.

Now I want to have my own “unblock-us” smart dns server to watch Netflix USA catalogue and I have some questions:

1-If the VPS is only as Smart DNS server (with dockerflix or HAProxy with Bind9). Do I need a VPS as fast as the ones from ramnode or any other cheap option with worst speed would be enough?

2-Can I use the VPS’s where I currently host my websites also as an Smart DNS server? Will it affect too much the loading times of the websites hosted in the VPS?

Thank you,

PS: Just in case someone is interested, this is what I will use: https://github.com/ab77/netflix-proxy

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2015

Any 128MB KVM/Xen will do.

But if you want to use it for DNS, good uptime is needed so I wouldn't go lower than RamNode.

• Thank you @Nyr
    As I said I'm happy with ramnode, but I though that if I'm only going to use it as Smart DNS maybe any $1.5 per month VPS will do the trick without any problems...

If that could easily not be the case I'll stick with ramnode then :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@tittooo7 said:
    Thank you Nyr
    As I said I'm happy with ramnode, but I though that if I'm only going to use it as Smart DNS maybe any $1.5 per month VPS will do the trick without any problems...

If that could easily not be the case I'll stick with ramnode then :)

You could always get two from different providers and have a failover party :)

• Oh and what about my 2nd question:

Can I use the VPS’s where I currently host my websites also as an Smart DNS server?
    Will it affect too much the loading times of the websites hosted in the VPS?

thank you!

• The load will be minimal, so, yes, you can use the vps you have for hosting your sites. But you have to check the speed. Be sure that your vps can handle traffic + the traffic you cause for HD streaming.
    If it's just for personal use and netflix, it's not critical, so, some slowness from time to time or testing various could lead you in choosing the best that suits your needs.
    As of the cost, RamNode's price is less than 1,5$ per month, when paid yearly (128MB SVZ 15$ per year)

• thank you @jvnadr
    Yes ramnode 128mb OpenVZ is also pretty cheap, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with docker as it use a kernel older than 3.10

• Contact the sales department and see if they can help you with what you need.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

@aldothetroll said:
    Contact the sales department and see if they can help you with what you need.

Yeah, especially explaining in details this idea to breach the Netflix's and motion picture's licenses.

• @Clouvider said:
    Yeah, especially explaining in details this idea to breach the Netflix's and motion picture's licenses.

People use their vps to do things like watch copyrighted content???? /gasp

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @tittooo7 - HostUS have a $10 a year 768mb OpenVZ plan. Docker works on this (they've got an image for it) - i'm using it for the same purpose. You won't be able to get Hulu to work though as Hulu bans pretty much any IP that isn't seen as residential.

• Anyone has any tutorial on this? Interested in setting one up myself as well. I have the GetFlix but might be fun to build one myself.

• @spammy This one works for me on KVM VPS: https://github.com/ab77/netflix-proxy

But unfortunately it doesn't work in some OpenVZ (docker doesn't work in most openvz I think)

Thanked by 2spammy budi1413