Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Centurylink cloud?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Centurylink cloud?

Anyone make use of this?

I notice they have the whole 'Sign up for a CenturyLink Cloud account and receive a 30 day free trial or $2,500 in services.' thing going on (ctl.io), but the whole $2,500 in services and being auto-charged after a month if I forget to cancel... jesus!

pricing looks similar to softlayer (nosebleed high, essentially)... didn't see any interesting locations... singapore, UK, canada, US?

Comments

• how about you provide some URLs or something?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

https://www.ctl.io/

Considering that they are enterprise oriented, the list prices for the cloud aren't so crazy.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited November 2015

yeah, I spent the last hour or so doing more research... the prices are competitive... better than softlayer (in a lot of aspects). bandwidth costs are much, much less, not to mention the machines themselves (the "bare metal" setups)

i did the verification for trial but didn't start it yet, maybe some other time.

• Not sure why you'd bother with it mang:
    "whole $2,500 in services and being auto-charged after a month if I forget to cancel... jesus!"
    "i did the verification for trial but didn't start it yet, maybe some other time."

You gave away your info regardless, so you better start wasting your trial away.

Looking at your op, you'll probably forget about this service as well.

Well, they've got more email to send offers to in the end.

zevus said: i did the verification for trial but didn't start it yet, maybe some other time.

• Everyone's in the 'cloud' game these days. Not sure how well CTL will cope against the likes of AWS and Azure though, my guess is 'not well'.

• CenturyLink has spent billions getting into the game. Their acquisition of Savvis was $2.5B, never mind all the companies they have been buying up recently.

• That's not all of them either.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@zevus said:
    ... would be a Good Thing for them to sell their data centers, I'd think? Ah, well, at least for people interested in 'low end boxes' ..

If this was meant to mean that they house all old outdated hardware, the intro video on their site for their bare metal order page lists E3-1271v3's and E5-2620v3's..

• VPSensationalVPSensational Member
    edited November 2015

One of the major UK supermarkets uses them for their infrastructure - I remember working on something a while back and it being a fairly horrible setup to have to use. Support was slow, the interface was outdated and complex and it didn't do anything that more modern providers like AWS don't do.

It's the sort of thing your boss buys after a weekend schmoozing with the sales guys.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Pricing isn't to bad

• VPSensational said: It's the sort of thing your boss buys after a weekend schmoozing with the sales guys.

Exactly this. They've got some solid links with Thompson Reuters which gets them into a lot of places they wouldn't otherwise be able to penetrate.

Thanked by 2vimalware GM2015