Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS abuse and $0.1 million lawsuit - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS abuse and $0.1 million lawsuit

2»

Comments

• A friend of mine got lured to go to Nigeria 15 years ago on a deal related to black dollar. The scam involved several high rank officials, and my friend was lucky to be able to escape alive.

Just think, how can they scam billions of dollars if they don't have sufficient knowledge of banking or support from their central bank?

While Nigeria is currently ruled by many warlords, many of their high rank officials live in luxurious lifestyle abroad.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@vRozenSch00n said:
    A friend of mine got lured to go to Nigeria 15 years ago on a deal related to black dollar.

Oh, that's a classic. A friend was recently involved and thankfully I saved them from the scam. It's just incredible that people are everyday falling for this.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • 2bb32bb3 Member
    edited November 2015

vRozenSch00n said: Just think, how can they scam billions of dollars if they don't have sufficient knowledge of banking or support from their central bank?

Didn't think nigerian scams were that big and involving so much money.
    I did see that as some poor guy trying to make enough money in a cybercafe to be able to feed his family, not as some kind of global industry built to profit the (already) rich there...

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

2bb3 said: I did see that as some poor guy trying to make enough money in a cybercafe to be able to feed his family, not as some kind of global industry built to profit the (already) rich there...

It absolutely isn't "poor people trying to feed their family", this is organized crime for the purpose of getting richer. See also this page.

• I would say the hosting company should have blocked high risk countries or asked ID verification for this countries.
    99% of clients from this countries either host phishing pages or ransomware or RAT servers or so on.

• @2bb3 said:

You mean like the poor pirates in Somalia? Having thousands of US dollars to buy AK47s, other weapons, cars and et cetera but not to feed their people?

There is much more behind those Nigerian scams. It's all organzied.

• erkinerkin Member
    edited November 2015

Once the hosting company passes that scammers' ids to the court they won't face any problems, imo.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

RockBeltHOST said: 99% of clients from this countries either host phishing pages or ransomware or RAT servers or so on.

What are you basing that statistic on?

• Hidden_Refuge said: You mean like the poor pirates in Somalia? Having thousands of US dollars to buy AK47s, other weapons, cars and et cetera but not to feed their people?

Well in Somalia there are also poor pirates that couldn't keep on fishing because of the nuclear & chemical waste the west sends there...

• joepie91 said: See also this page.

Instructive, thanks!

• Hidden_Refuge said: You mean like the poor pirates in Somalia? Having thousands of US dollars to buy AK47s, other weapons, cars and et cetera but not to feed their people?

An AK in Somalia and the surrounding area barely costs 300$.
    A new one from China does not even cost 1000$, stores here in Austria sell the semi-auto Norinco Type 56 (a clone of the original Soviet AK47 design with minor improvements) at around 1000EUR (they do seem to fetch 2500$+ in US though, as they seem to be banned since 198*).

• William said: stores here in Austria

In Austria it's like in the USA people can have guns?

• 2bb3 said: Well in Somalia there are also poor pirates that couldn't keep on fishing because of the nuclear & chemical waste the west sends there...

Somalia is yet another story, but we have to get back to the 70's (way before the "Blackhawk Down"). Just do some research, and you will find it is not about genocide, it's all about oil and power over Africa.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

William said: An AK in Somalia and the surrounding area barely costs 300$

I would love to have one of these on my wall u.u

• What kind of people send just 100K to some random people because of an email?

@GM2015 said:
    What kind of people send just 100K to some random people because of an email?

stupid innocent people.

A friend got scammed similarly, they were contacted by a local sell platform (MercadoLibre, like eBay), that someone wanted to buy a professional camera from Mexico to the US (really?!). He payed for the shipping, he sent the camera, and he sent $50 USD to the "Royal Bank" to confirm his account and receive his money... He told me he sold it minutes after he sent the money and the day the camera arrived to its destination in Jamaina, NY, USA. No way José hahahaha

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n GM2015
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2015

2bb3 said: In Austria it's like in the USA people can have guns?

Yes, Austrians (or rather any EU citizen living in Austria as mandated by EU contract) can own nearly anything that is no full auto weapon or a pump action shotgun (and no .50 BMG, though the "CA legal" calibers like .51 are allowed). Not quite as good as in some US states (AK, LA etc.) but better than some (CA, DC) and MUCH better than most of EU/Europe (AFAIK only CZ is easier for CC permits in EU, but no country is as easy for single shot repeating rifles/shotguns as Austria).

Shotguns/repeating rifles are much like TX/AK, you can just walk into a store, complete the background check (without needing to provide fingerprints or anything, just show ID and they enter it in a gov provided system) and pick up your weapon ~3days (cool down phase, has nothing to do with BG check) later OR if you have already a CC permit/hunting license/weapons permit you can take it home immediately. Handguns, semi autos and rifles below 50cm length need a permit from gov which is automatically granted for "self defence" after a background check and ~10min psych evaluation, costs like 500EUR though. Private sales of long guns (only non semi auto) are not regulated/recorded, Commercial/Private sales of handguns/semi auto are recorded by the dealer and (since end ~2013) added to a central gov database.

There are an estimated ~2.5 million handguns and ~5 million long guns in Austria which has ~8.5million people. The long gun number is only estimated by gov as they were not recorded at all until 2013 and gov itself estimates that with the current fine for not registering (no risk to loose gun, just a fine) only a few 10% actually did register all their guns. Austria is at gun ownership per 100 people pretty far up the list, and these calculations do only count in registered/gov supplied data.

I have a blog article with details here:

https://rdns.im/gun-laws-in-austria

And i wrote most of the wikipedia entry here as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_of_gun_laws_by_nation#Austria

vRozenSch00n said: it's all about oil and power over Africa.

Since when does Somalia have any notable oil ressources on-shore? And what power do you get in the oil rich west africa or industrial rich south africa by occupying/controlling a country in east africa? Yes, with power over the coasts of Puntland/Somaliland you have control over a major shipping route, however no matter who controls the SO "government" they stand exactly zero chance against Atalanta (EU/NATO mission against pirates) or any military of any country that has a bunch of boats with MGs and some rocket launchers...

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • There is a logic error here. How is it possible for someone that stupid to even have $100k to send to a random Nigerian guy in the first place?

• Oktay! I miss you sooo much :) :) :)

Thanked by 2netomx serverian
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

William said: An AK in Somalia and the surrounding area barely costs 300$. A new one from China does not even cost 1000$, stores here in Austria sell the semi-auto Norinco Type 56 (a clone of the original Soviet AK47 design with minor improvements) at around 1000EUR (they do seem to fetch 2500$+ in US though, as they seem to be banned since 198*).

In the US, you're thinking of the MAK-90 which even buying at gunauction.com is only $800ish, and I wouldn't say the MAK-90 is the apex of AK-47 semi-auto clones.

The MAK-90 is not banned, they're just not imported any more. But dozens of other AK47 clones are and they can be had for way less than $800.

Of course, these are all semi-auto. If you want full-auto, then you'd be buying a pre-1980s copy and need a special license and then, yeah, you're in the tens of thousands.

I thought Austrians all ran around with Steyr AUGs :-)

• raindog308 said: In the US, you're thinking of the MAK-90 which even buying at gunauction.com is only $800ish, and I wouldn't say the MAK-90 is the apex of AK-47 semi-auto clones.

Yep, i just punched Type 56 into some US gun broker sites, sorted by price and excluded all the wrong SKS results - came out at some 1500-2500$ with a bunch of notes about pre-ban and some year - BUT for a full auto pre-ban 2500$ would be extremely low, so must be something in between.

raindog308 said: and need a special license

In all states? Except federal things obviously.

raindog308 said: I thought Austrians all ran around with Steyr AUGs :-)

AUGs are not THAT rare and certainly more popular than in US/DE/CH but we can only buy the civil models (AUG Z, built on top of A1 but with branching into the A2 tree, has most but not all A2 improvements/features) that have been designed to be not convertible (to FA, even with major changes) and have (depending on generation) major differences to the AUSTEYR or Austrian military variants (STG77, first A1, now A2 for normal soldiers and A3 for special forces IIRC). The 9mm AUG Z variant is also legal, ugly and not bought by anyone with a sane mind.

AUGs are not really more expensive than the Austrian M4/M16/AR15 designs/editions we get (OA15 for example) but sometimes harder to source on secondary market.

Reliability... no idea, but i'd give the AUG the benefit of the doubt over cheap designs/clones from like China/Turkey (Norinco sells a lot in Austria, except handguns), for Oberlandarms probably same quality (and all other German companies), US import weapons are fairly rare due to the EU processes for that and the required testing in Austria which is not really english friendly (like most of our gov) but probably also of good quality.

Shooting AUG is fun, the bullpup design is neat and gives it a nice stability, the fixed scope on A1 sucks majorly tho.

@raindog308 said:
    I thought Austrians all ran around with Steyr AUGs :-)

You can easily modify it to be full auto

• netomx said: You can easily modify it to be full auto

Not the AUG Z.