Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has Scaleway just gone splat? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has Scaleway just gone splat?

2»

Comments

• @hawc said:
    Anyone else noticed a general lack in speed from Online.net networks? Back to the UK and to my OVH its pathetic. Under 1.5 MB/s and under 100 Mbps. The one of to my house is on a 152 Mbps connection which my OVH maxes. Messaged "support" if you can call it that. Got a "its your end not ours" response. Promptly terminated my Scaleway and Online.net server.

Difficult to tell if that's down to Virgin or online.net or someone in-between, Back when I had virgin media I'd find that some destinations were slower than they should have been, the problem often becomes that when you start offering higher headline speeds your transit links become congested more easily.

As the headline speeds become faster the number of customers it takes to cause congestion drops and given the prices most people want to pay for broadband you can't always easily go upgrading capacity everywhere either sadly. Hence as connections get faster the more likely it is you will start to see peak time slow downs.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@dragon2611 I also tested it from British Telecom, and JT Global on the island of Guernsey and it was painful for all of them.

• Fair enough then.

• I've also terminated my Scaleway services because the network speed has dropped to a dismal level. I only have 10Mbps broadband as it is, and I was getting barely 2-3Mbps download from my Scaleway boxes. I can't see Scaleway lasting a long time.

• To many downtimes today, 3 or 4. Maybe 12 on the past 7 days. Not good...

• Actually it's down right now.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

@hawc said:
    Anyone else noticed a general lack in speed from Online.net networks? Back to the UK and to my OVH its pathetic. Under 1.5 MB/s and under 100 Mbps. The one of to my house is on a 152 Mbps connection which my OVH maxes. Messaged "support" if you can call it that. Got a "its your end not ours" response. Promptly terminated my Scaleway and Online.net server.

I've seen and heard the same from many, throughout the past few years. Their peering to residential ISPs seems to be lacking in some way. It's inconsistent, though - some people will get great speeds, some people will get terrible speeds.

• Down since last 5 hours :{

• blackblack Member
    edited November 2015

Amitz said: I would love to hear more feedback of US-residents concerning the network speed of online.net throughout the USA. 50% of the visitors of one of my sites come from there (other 50% from EU) and I would love to know that they experience decent speeds.

AT&T in Texas, I get around 400 KB/sec. If I use a socks5 proxy to Dallas I get full speed, it's kind of weird.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@joepie91 said:
    I've seen and heard the same from many, throughout the past few years. Their peering to residential ISPs seems to be lacking in some way. It's inconsistent, though - some people will get great speeds, some people will get terrible speeds.

Too true. It's sad, as for a provider the size of them, they have a pretty weak network. As well as pretty weak support. They try and pass it and make it the customers fault. I had a DDoS last week that wasn't mitigated and all I got from support was "Its not a DDoS" - Why was my server having high pings and being very unreachable then (even within the offline.net network).

• There seems to be some network upgrading in progress: https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=435