Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Root-enabled file editor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Root-enabled file editor

MrOwenMrOwen Member
edited October 2012 in General

Is there any program out there that is able to edit files that require root permission? I guess I'm looking for something similar to Webmin's file explorer where it's able to edit and mange file/directories as root but I just don't want the bloat of Webmin. It's really a pain in the butt if I need to edit some config files (nginx, for example) and I have to download the file, edit it locally and then copy back using nano or save to my home directory and overwrite the old file. There's just got to be a better way to do it and I would love to hear your solutions for this kind of thing?

Or maybe I'm just being a lazy bum and I need to favor security over my lazy-bumness.

Comments

• sudo launch_your_favorite_editor ?

• MrOwenMrOwen Member
    edited October 2012

@rds100 said: sudo launch_your_favorite_editor ?

Well, yeah, but that's too much work because Sublime or Notepad++ is way easier to edit stuff in than nano, imo. Again, it might just be my laziness

@Zen said: The only reason Webmin's file explorer is able to edit and manage files/directories as root is because it is running as root.

>

Maybe I'm missing something, but all you need to edit root files with a file editor is root privileges?.. Just use root.

>

sudo > su > etc

Yup, I know Webmin runs as root and that's why it can do what it does but I would just like something less bloated to edit any files/generally manage all of the filesystem.

• Do you have shell access with root to your server? Or is Webmin your only interface?

• @Damian said: Do you have shell access with root to your server? Or is Webmin your only interface?

It's an unmanged vps so I have full permissions and such. You have an idea that doesn't involve an editor inside my ssh client??

• what vps control panel are you on? Soulvm? They have a console built into that.

• @MrOwen said: You have an idea that doesn't involve an editor inside my ssh client??

Shared web hosting.

• @Damien He said unmanaged vps.

• @24khost said: He said unmanaged vps.

Indeed, but if you're not willing to, or otherwise go way out of your way to avoid, editing files inside a VPS, then why bother with the concept of a VPS?

• @Damian True dat!

• :(

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/mc.htm
    apt-get install mc - debian
    mc

@MrOwen said: that doesn't involve an editor inside my ssh client??

• ?

• @Damian said: @MrOwen said: You have an idea that doesn't involve an editor inside my ssh client??

>

Shared web hosting.

You take me as a some sort of monster???

But anyway, I get the general idea here that I just shouldn't be so lazy :p Although mc seems like a bit of a nicer compromise.

Maybe (which means probably never) I'll make a basic web-based file editor that runs under root. Cue the security risk replies please :p

Thanked by 1risharde
  • Or you could just, you know, open up SFTP as root and edit your files as you want to.

• MrOwenMrOwen Member
    edited October 2012

@Night said: Or you could just, you know, open up SFTP as root and edit your files as you want to.

Ewww. Also, I believe root login is disabled and I would like to keep it that way.

*Ewww to logging in as root

• @mrowen fire up Xwindows on your VPS and use a GUI editor...

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@MrOwen said: Ewww. Also, I believe root login is disabled and I would like to keep it that way.

Not sure what the problem with logging in as root is?

• LeoLeo Member

I use Notepad++ with the NppFTP plugin (connecton type SFTP with key file authentication) when I need more that vi for editing.

• @MrOwen said: Ewww. Also, I believe root login is disabled and I would like to keep it that way.

So you've answered your own question then.... sudo or su is the only way to gain root access or for a program run under your username to gain root access.

If there was a way for programs to just run as root without any permissions or checks there would be no security.

Thanked by 1risharde