Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SPAM run on let
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SPAM run on let

I see lots of topics like:

There are tons of hipsters in Seattle and you can spot them

by users like LATRICHECHRISTIAN . Can the staff please fix that?

Thanked by 1netomx

Comments

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited November 2015

Just a bunch of dumb 'SEO wizards' trying to generate back links to worthless websites.

• Just flag as spam, mods will take care of when they see it.

• Mods will obviously take care of it when they see it, but they can't be here all the time. If you have an idea how to deal with it, perhaps it's better to post in the Suggestions thread than start a new one?

• ehabehab Member
    edited November 2015

@vedran said:

reminds me of

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

what?

ehab said: reminds me of

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @GM2015 said:

when vedran said "trapping spam can be suggested" just came up with that. let it pass by , slowly realizing its a bad post.

• Well, it seems some spam posts are very entertaining to some members, so it'd be missed surely. Not by me personally of course.

ehab said: when vedran said "trapping spam can be suggested" just came up with that. let it pass by , slowly realizing its a bad post.

• No wonder we have so many spammers, theres a loophole in the Registration form of LET.

Usually when someone registers they have no post rights because they need to verify their email adress,
    the LET registration form does detect when someone tries to register with an temporary email service like 10minutemail.com so registering with this email wont work, that will result in this:

here is how we can bypass this block and still activate our account with 10minutemail.com:

1. Open LET and click Register

2. Fill in a non-existing email adress at the form (example: [email protected])

3. Fill in all other fields like you want

4. Press the Register button

Now you have successfully registered but cannot post yet because the account is not activated, lets proceed.

1. Go to Edit Profile

2. Change your email adress to the one provided by 10minutemail.com

3. Click the Save button

4. Now at the left-bottom click on the hyperlink in "You need to confirm your email adress. Click here to resend the confirmation email."

LET now sent the activation email to your temporary 10minutemail.com email adress, you can now successfully activate the account and start spamming.

Obviously all these steps can be put in some form of automation for the spammers.. i successfully registered the users 'marketing101' and 'marketing102' with this method.

• I can't see any ads, but if vpb.com still has their ad on the site, that's really ridiculous.

Mark_R said: the users 'marketing101' and 'marketing102' with this method.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish Aga
  • @Mark_R , thats a nice usecase.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited November 2015

Accounts with disposable e-mail addresses will automatically be banned by Vanilla (it does it every X something), though not immediately when you change your e-mail address into one. I guess the ban check isn't hooked in on that event.

Would you like to file the bug with Vanilla or should I?

Thanked by 2Mark_R netomx
  • @mpkossen said:
    Accounts with disposable e-mail addresses will automatically be banned by Vanilla (it does it every X something), though not immediately when you change your e-mail address into one. I guess the ban check isn't hooked in on that event.

Would you like to file the bug with Vanilla or should I?

Alright, feel free to report it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited November 2015

I'm spamming LET right now :p

It's a shame all links at LET contain the no follow attribute...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Most sign up forms are generally easy to mechanise sign ups for. Often a straight up command line POST will do the trick, and some code to manage email addresses and link following. All the rest aside, you can choose between proactive and reactive moderation... it seems it's mostly reactive at the moment. Seems the only motivation to do multiple sign ups here is to be a pain in the arse, and I'd suggest the ROI from it is low enough not to worry.

• Perl www-mechanize will do it for you

• Honeypot the signup form with something XRumer or Scrapebox will fall for.

These are the programs that are trained (probably XRumer) to do such. SENuke and Scrapebox are not as versatile, meanwhile you can teach XRumer to respond to captchas, even API to DeathByCaptcha or another service and have remote guys fill in captchas. You can even setup your own passage ways to use the method @Mark_R mentioned to automate it all.

You need to hide a honeyput input via CSS. Something like 'tel' or 'icq' that will be set to fill in pre-defined on XRumer. Real users will never see the 'tel' or 'icq' input form, while XRumer and alike will fall for it and fill a random telephone number or ICQ.

Trust me, pre Panda days were fun if kept under the radar and mostly just signed up for profile links... No tact or buffer sites now these days. Lazy.

Thanked by 1Mark_R