Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

additional IP or additional leb
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

additional IP or additional leb

svgnamysvgnamy Member
edited October 2012 in Help

I purchased a few ssl's. However, when installing the ssl's it says i cannot (or it is not recommended ) to install multiple ssl certificates serving different domains on the same ip address (nginx)

Additional ip's cost me about $2.00 per month. I need a least one more.

LEB's can cost less than $2.00 per month (deals buyvm hostigation, chicagovps) so, should I buy the additional ip address or an addition vps Leb?

Comments

• You can install multiple SSL on one IP, not recommended true, but if you are doing something for yourself then I don't see what could go wrong with it...I do it all the time for my personal projects that needs SSL connections...

• @svgnamy said: Additional ip's cost me about $2.00 per month. I need a least one more.

LEB's can cost less than $2.00 per month (deals buyvm hostigation, chicagovps) so, should I buy the additional ip address or an addition vps Leb?

While the list hosts offer a value to you, I know I only charge $1 for the IP for an SSL. I'm very tough when it comes to me giving out additional IP, but SSL is still valid in ARIN's eyes.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @miTgiB said: I only charge $1 for the IP for an SSL

That's sounds more like standard pricing for IP for LEB providers, only shared hosts these days charge a ridiculous amount for IP. Back in the days when I was with StableHost on shared, they charged me 3 bucks per month for an IP, LOL

But thank god they did, else I'd be happy to stay in shared hosting and won't get into a great community like LEB/T!

• @zhuanyi i expect that after 2 years more than half of the LEB and other providers will be charging at least $2 per additional IP.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited October 2012

I think SD do 'em cheap.

• @rds100 said: i expect that after 2 years more than half of the LEB and other providers will be charging at least $2 per additional IP.

I have got enough for myself and hopefully at least some of my VPS/dedi will be "grandfathered" when IP gets more expensive :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2012

https://budgetvm.com/linux-vps.php <- 3 IPs and a 1024MB OpenVZ LEB all for $5.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • @Rm_: that's cheap. How's buyvm? are they reliable?

• @zhuanyi said: zhuanyi 9:31AM FlagThanks

You can install multiple SSL on one IP, not recommended true, but if you are doing something for yourself then I don't see what could go wrong with it...I do it all the time for my personal projects that needs SSL connections...

It's for business. I want to make sure the least amount of things go wrong as possible.

• I'm going to move one of the sites to it's own leb. Any other domain that needs to accept payments, I will use a hosted ecommerce so I won't need an ssl certificate.

• I think nginx is so much trouble. I think working with apache was so much easier. But I guess the overhead is better with nginx. I'm going with the leb crowd using nginx, but every time I do something, I run into roadblocks.

• hostigation, buyvm, budgetvm, chicagovps

They all have similar pricing. I have buyvm and chicagovps. Both are really good.
    I think buyvm is a little faster, but not by much.

Which would you go with?

Plus ssd in atlanta I think it was node something, I have to look it up.

• @svgnamy ...or try lighttpd

• We already charge 2.00 per ip

• yes lighttpd works well.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@cosmicgate said: @Rm_: that's cheap. How's buyvm? are they reliable?

I suspect you are asking about budgetvm ?

After a shaky start they are doing OK now, I kept my VPS (exactly the deal rm_ linked) and I am happy with it. Of course, it is not as fast and with such a network like prometeus and by no means stable, but for US is very good and the price is really good !
    At start was crashing at least once a day and at times had ridiculous network, it seemed like they are depassed by the number of orders and were going for quantity instead of quality, now is, meh, average, good network (for US), good resources, very good price, but poor stability. It crashes 2-3 times a week, mostly 2 now. I dont monitor it as it is a lost cause in my view, just notice the uptime, for example now:

top - 22:15:50 up  7:14,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    Tasks:  44 total,   1 running,  43 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    Cpu(s):  0.0%us,  0.0%sy,  0.0%ni,100.0%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
    Mem:   1048576k total,    95016k used,   953560k free,        0k buffers
    Swap:  1048576k 

But:

inet addr:199.231.211.156  P-t-P:199.231.211.156  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:                          255.255.255.255
              UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1

venet0:17 Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00                          -00
              inet addr:199.231.211.157  P-t-P:199.231.211.157  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:                          255.255.255.255
              UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1

venet0:18 Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00                          -00
              inet addr:199.231.211.158  P-t-P:199.231.211.158  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:                          255.255.255.255

So, the regular IP price of 1 $ an IP makes the machine cost 3 $ if it had only one...

M

• @rm_ said: https://budgetvm.com/linux-vps.php <- 3 IPs and a 1024MB OpenVZ LEB all for $5.

I would stay far away, my experience was not good. Pay the extra $2 a month for an IP from a solid provider, or buy another cheap LEB and you can split up the sites.

• buy another vps, and create somesort of "low-end" redundancy with the extra vps.

no point getting a new ip when you can get another LEB vps?

• ^^^ this is the single biggest reason why I don't just rent a larger dedi and pay for extra IPs - LEBs with a diversity of providers and networks gives you cheap resiliency...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Not to mention almost unbreakable. What are the chances that a LEB in US one in EU and one in Australia will be kicked out of net in the same time ? You can also setup DNS on all of them and this is it.
    M

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

If the US and EU and Australia all get kicked out of the net at the same time you (and the rest of humanity) probably have other things to worry about.

I vote get another LEB. :D

• agree, I like the idea of an additional leb. I feel like I'm getting more for my buck . I went with ramnode. it's a little more expensive then I wanted, but I'm hearing really good things about them.