Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How To Set Up Your Linode For Maximum Awesomeness - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How To Set Up Your Linode For Maximum Awesomeness

2»

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Spirit said: That's because you're not familiar that much with VPS hosting industry past and statements as such base on nowaday short term perpective.

I am not Linode fanboy, I don't even own VPS with them however it's not about hype but rather about Linode over whole past decade. I remember when all this about LEBs (budget low end VPSs not this community) started only some 5 years ago or so and one of pioneers of 5$ VPS xen offers stated that time that Linode are his model how to run decent VPS hosting business. Many great things we see with nowaday great VPS hosting providers and we take as standard base on examples provided by Linode. It's just like Rock music. We have many many great Rock bands today but legends stay legends. They were skilled, they were great, stable when most hosting industry didn't have basic clue how to do "Xen things" properly. And no, they didn't have SolusVM, whmcs and all rest on plate to help them. Today is much bigger competition but also way more pre-made matured tools, tutorials, experiences help to achieve "awesomeness" in certain business segment without too big money and time investment.
    So when we talk about hype there's more than a few good but not so great LEB hosts which fall under this category but hardly host which popularity base on decade of hard work.

(I am not trying to get into argument, I am just explaining things from wider perspective as it's too easy to judge host without having overlook across vps hosting industry over some longer period).

tl dr? ;-)

Hype? Linode were awesome provider when there wasn't much Awesomeness in VPS hosting industry. And they did it mostly by themself.

You realize that we now live 4 years after the introduction of Xen as the Linode platform? How is any of this relevant in any way, shape, or form to the current state of Linode? Your analogy with rock music breaks for the simple reason that you can still enjoy the same music from many years ago, but you can not experience the same Linode from a few years ago.

Oh by the way, WHMCS has been around forever. Longer than Linode (in Xen form, at least).

@rchurch said: @Joepie91 My main argument about a (disappointingly significant) number of LEB providers is that they don't care to get their technical act together.

This has absolutely nothing to do with LEBs by themselves. As I said, take a look at the shitty providers in the Linode price bracket and you'll see the exact same thing. It's ridiculous to shit on a whole industry/community like this for no good reason.

I suggest you actually read my post and respond to it, instead of just rehashing what you already said.

I'll repeat it once more to make sure it comes across: what you are saying applies to the entire hosting industry, and has nothing to do with LEBs specifically.

Thanked by 2KuJoe Infinity
  • @rchurch said: The problem on LEB is not even the price, it is the technical competence of the providers.

For me the biggest expense if the time it takes me to set things up, not the hosting fees. Guys like you, Francisco and Prometeus are truly a minority here.

I've been with a lot of providers that charged Linode's price or more for a server that's about 3 times worse. Most VPS providers (in general) are technically incompetent, price isn't a measure for that. I therefore think you criticism of LEB providers is quite unfounded.

edited October 2012

@sleddog said: And it stands to reason. If you're gonna offer the same thing at 1/3rd the price, something has to give.

This is based on the assumption that the price charged by Linode is the minimum price they have to charge for what they offer. That assumption is most likely false, therefore in reality the above statement is nonsense. Linode is not a price index.

• @joepie91 said: This is based on the assumption that the price charged by Linode is the minimum price they have to charge for what they offer.

No it isn't. It's based on the assumption that the price charged by Linode is the minimum price they have to charge for the services and support they provide, plus a profit margin. If they make a healthy profit on my $18/month then I say more power to 'em.

@sleddog said: No it isn't. It's based on the assumption that the price charged by Linode is the minimum price they have to charge for the services and support they provide, plus a profit margin. If they make a healthy profit on my $18/month then I say more power to 'em.

Then your statement that "something's gotta give" is incorrect - after all, someone can be perfectly happy with less profit while providing the same services, and charge a lower price as a result - for the same service.

• @joepie91 said: Then your statement that "something's gotta give" is incorrect - after all, someone can be perfectly happy with less profit while providing the same services, and charge a lower price as a result - for the same service.

Yes of course. But then the question is how much "less profit" is sustainable long-term for the company. Lowering prices by reducing the profit margin is not necessarily a smart business decision.

Anyway, I really don't want to argue it with you. To each his/her own.

@sleddog said: Yes of course. But then the question is how much "less profit" is sustainable long-term for the company. Lowering prices by reducing the profit margin is not necessarily a smart business decision.

Anyway, I really don't want to argue it with you. To each his/her own.

I agree - it really depends on how the company is run. My point was more that the idea that "if it's cheaper, they must be cutting corners on something" is incorrect... and it's a very dangerous approach to take :)

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited October 2012

@joepie91 said: My point was more that the idea that "if it's cheaper, they must be cutting corners on something" is incorrect... and it's a very dangerous approach to take :)

"Cutting corners" is your phrase, not mine. It has negative connotations that I did not intend.

Say for example you sell 1,000 VPSs for $18/month. I sell 1,000 VPSs for $6/month. Your revenues are significantly greater than mine. You can do things that are difficult or impossible for me... hire more staff to manage your network & hardware, invest in some R & D to develop some cool & useful new features, roll out occasional resource upgrades to current clients, employ someone to write documentation for customers, etc., etc. If you plan and invest wisely, in a few years your business will deliver a significantly better overall service to clients than mine. I'm not necessarily "cutting corners", I'm delivering a best effort within the bounds of my resources and revenues. There's nothing wrong with that. And there's nothing wrong with your business approach either :)