Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't move files from root
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I can't move files from root

KilwaKilwa Member
edited October 2012 in Help

Hello,

I have a small server - debian. I can't seem to move files from the root. I am even logged in as root but I can move files from other directories.

Here's the error I am getting in Winscp.
General failure (server should provide error description). Error code: 4 Error message from server: Failure Request code: 18

What can i do to move files?

Thanks!

Comments

• A google suggests you might want to connect using scp rather than sftp:
    http://forums.freenas.org/archive/index.php/t-6914.html

• THAT General Failure?

Seriously, copied from the WinSCP site:

General failure; Error code: 4

You probably see error message like:
    General failure (server should provide error description).
    Error code: 4
    Error message from server: Failure
    Request code: ?
    What does particular error code mean is explained on the line above, i.e. “General failure” here. Particularly for “General failure”, the SFTP server should provide you more details, that you will see next to “Error message from server”. Unfortunately, SFTP server shipped with OpenSSH (or Sun SSH) does not. That is, why you see there just “Failure” (very useful).
    Some situations when OpenSSH (Sun SSH) server issues this useless error message:
    Renaming file to name of already existing file.
    Creating directory that already exists.
    Moving remote file to different filesystem (HDD).
    Uploading file to full filesystem (HDD).
    Exceeding user disk quota.
    If none of the above helps, check your permissions or contact server administrator.