Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArchLinux OpenVZ Template?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ArchLinux OpenVZ Template?

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited June 2012 in Help

Hi,

Does anybody know how I can get an Arch Linux (latest) version template for OpenVZ, as the ones on the OpenVZ website are unoffical, and also old releases?

Thanks.

Comments

• NickMNickM Member

Well, since Arch is a rolling release distro, you should just be able to upgrade to the latest version...

• DamianDamian Member

Be prepared to reinstall your OS template every few weeks/months too.

• flyfly Member

Wouldn't recommend arch on ovz due to kernel requirements. Otherwise, it is doable to update to latest.

Ovz sucks anyways

Thanked by 2TheHackBox tux
  • @Damian said: Be prepared to reinstall your OS template every few weeks/months too.

Why? Just update on installation.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Inb4arch-is-for-hipsters..

Thanked by 2TheHackBox jar
  • RaymiiRaymii Member

Also looking for a good working arch template, haven't had success with the standard openvz provided template.. breaks after update...

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2012

I managed to get Arch to update to latest (at least as of last Saturday, anyway) and work on openvz, however it is a big kludge. I can't recommend Arch on OpenVZ to anyone but the most hardcore Arch fans :)

• stacklet.com

• DamianDamian Member
    edited October 2012

@rds100 said: however it is a big kludge.

...and from experience, it would break frequently too, once it was going. Then the user would ask for their data. Ended up being too much of a hassle to carry an OS template that broke itself.

@Randy said: stacklet.com

Has absolutely no OpenVZ templates at all.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @Damian said: @Randy said: stacklet.com

Has absolutely no OpenVZ templates at all.

Fail.

• oh really?, i didn't know that . my apologies

• @Damian hopefully whoever is hardcore enough to use Arch would be smart enough to take frequent backups, or at least a backup before applying updates.

• @antiven said: Why? Just update on installation.

ROFL.

FWIW, I'd only use Arch on a fully virtualized instance- and you should expect it to break frequently.

• @rds100 said: @Damian hopefully whoever is hardcore enough to use Arch would be smart enough to take frequent backups, or at least a backup before applying updates.

One would think... on the other hand, i'd find support tickets with "omfg I did pacman -Syu and then it wouldn't come up after being rebooted!" and then i'd look at their filesystem manually and find that most of /bin was missing -_-

Thanked by 1Nexus