Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changing PayPal attitude about chargeback? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Changing PayPal attitude about chargeback?

2»

Comments

• @singsing said:
    What will be interesting to see is how PayPal will react to competitive pressure from crypto currencies.

Given that PayPal can be reversed so easily by scammers, why should a merchant even accept it if they can accept just Bitcoin instead?

Or, a merchant can provide a "Bitcoin discount" -- i.e., essentially a premium assessed to against buyers using PayPal to cover the additional risk to the merchant.

To compete, PayPal (and CC companies) might have to start reviewing claims more seriously and with lower fees ...

I doubt it many users simple will use paypal because of the name.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jhjh Member

Write 1-2 paragraphs to Paypal stamping "not covered under dispute policy... intanglible goods" 3-4 times throughout it. It's like content writing for SEO.

• IgniteServers said: I doubt it many users simple will use paypal because of the name.

Hey, things change. If it were that simple, Blockbuster Video would still be in business.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited November 2015

I'll preface this by saying I've done some three chargebacks on Paypal since registered in 2000...

Anyway, I filed chargeback over some crap service by hosting company, Paypal said it wasn't covered, apologized for it, and essentially offered me the amt in question as 'complimentary' refund. I refused that and just went to bank and filed unauthorized transaction instead (paypal balance was $0, and using bank as backup source). This way the crap hosting company ended up having to pay Paypal, instead of me just getting free money from Paypal.

How is it possible to win these cases? If Paypal denies it, you always have second option, unless funding is directly from Paypal balance

ed: yes, i did have to re-verify bank with the whole two deposits thing

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited November 2015

zevus said: Anyway, I filed chargeback over some crap service by hosting company

zevus said: I refused that and just went to bank and filed unauthorized transaction instead

You realize, of course, that that's a form of fraud? You're lying to the bank about the transaction having been unauthorized when it wasn't.

Why anyone would commit fraud just to get back at a hosting company for allegedly crap service is beyond me.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

Form of fraud they you can be prosecuted for. Good job admiting on a public forum ;)

• How minimize risk of charge-backs with virtual foods? Are there any recommendations?

I was think about something like this:

create page, where people must accept rules and ToS, where they will see "hey buddy, there are no chargebacks at all, if you accept it, you can do transaction, if not, we wont accept your money."

Is it stupid method? How about proofs of transactions & goods?

All of my friends telling to me: "if you have paypal alternative, run away from it", is that true? Because as many people explain to me, i understand next things:

• Seller not really protected
    • People who receiving donations not protected

How to avoid the shit like this?

This problem start to be a very popular, and maybe will shoot in next few month like shitty booters and stressers.

Any recommendations to minimize risks with paypal?

• If your running a legit business you should be able to handle this with no problem, simple call paypal explain your business and give them the things they require, you cant go wrong with LEGIT information.

• I usually just copy-paste the setup info email to PayPal and remove the password from it. This way, PayPal always decided and closed disputes in our favor.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited November 2015

@singsing said:
    Why anyone would commit fraud just to get back at a hosting company for allegedly crap service is beyond me.

rage issues

ed: judging from topic at hand and responses, all chargebacks being discussed here are fraudulent, so it's actually a strange question of you to ask why anyone would do this

• zevuszevus Member
    edited November 2015

Oh, I haven't had a repeat occasion... but I did learn that in the future for all such problems, to file it as 'unauthorized transaction', rather than the 'services not as described' or whatever it was I used before.

So the lesson for today is to fight fraud with fraud, if you want money back from Paypal from fraudulent service providers. Small claims isn't an option in most cases (usually has to take place at business local jurisdiction)

• zevus said: So the lesson for today is to fight fraud with fraud, if you want money back from Paypal from fraudulent service providers.

I don't believe fighting X with X is always morally justified, I'm sure there are lengthy treatises available on this that you can look up.

Also, "crap service" is not always fraudulent.

Let me guess, your beef is you bought a VPS and you landed on an oversold node that wouldn't run your required software smoothly.

That sucks, but it's not fraud unless you were promised a certain level of performance that was not met. Did the seller guarantee specific cpu, network and disk performance (i.e., an actual number of IOPS for disk, or at least a sharing ratio for all these resources)? I'm guessing not.

Thanked by 1sin
  • @WebProject said:
    chargebacks case can be won, if you provide customer real signature, the PayPal will pass info and signature to credit card company and they do reverse the chargeback, but PayPal still charge £20/$20 for processing chargebacks case.

This is the first I heard of a $20 fee imposed on the merchant. Ouch.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited November 2015

@singsing said:
    That sucks, but it's not fraud unless you were promised a certain level of performance that was not met. Did the seller guarantee specific cpu, network and disk performance (i.e., an actual number of IOPS for disk, or at least a sharing ratio for all these resources)? I'm guessing not.

ToS stated that customer would be able to set rDNS, this wasn't the case & support was unresponsive for ~5 days (*I guess I should add that not only were they not responsive for 5 days, that the rDNS issue still wasn't resolved even after that, was ~2 weeks in when I asked for a refund, was denied, then closed ticket & initiated the (failed) chargeback, so then proceeded to bank)

it was a dedicated server, also.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@zevus said:
    ToS stated that customer would be able to set rDNS, this wasn't the case & support was unresponsive for ~5 days

Still you have committed fraud by claiming 'unauthorized transaction'

Thanked by 1jar
  • zevus said: ToS stated that customer would be able to set rDNS, this wasn't the case & support was unresponsive for ~5 days (*I guess I should add that not only were they not responsive for 5 days, that the rDNS issue still wasn't resolved even after that, was ~2 weeks in when I asked for a refund, was denied, then closed ticket & initiated the (failed) chargeback, so then proceeded to bank)

Well, congrats, you have persuaded me that you were indeed scammed there.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    Still you have committed fraud by claiming 'unauthorized transaction'

Yep. Product/service not delivered or however they word it might be fine. Unauthorized transaction report on an authorized transaction is fraud.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • So i have one question, I sold my account and after 2 days I got dispute from Buyer, but
    in his message he said that he bought account got account and after 2 days he realized that account was reclaimed. Who can win this? I mean if buyer agreed that he got acc and used it can he even to put dispute.