Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft confirms there will be no Windows 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft confirms there will be no Windows 11

Microsoft says that Windows 10 will be its final release of the iconic operating system that's installed on over 90% of computers. "Right now we're releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we're all still working on Windows 10," said Jerry Nixon, Microsoft's developer evangelist, at the Ignite tech conference. Instead of releasing an entirely new and different version of its desktop OS every few years, Microsoft is taking an Apple-like approach to subsequent Windows releases, standardizing on Windows 10 as its Cupertino-based rival has done with OS X. Under this new strategy, Microsoft will deliver regular improvements to Windows through software updates.

So, is this a good thing, or a bad thing? i for one think its a great idea, i am a windows 10 user, and love it!

thoughts?

Comments

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

This is old news. And this forum only supports HTML/Markdown (this aint phpBB/MyBB/vB or similar). A source from where you copied that would be nice.

"installed on over 90% of computers" - In their dreams maybe...

Nice to see you came over to FreeVPS.us to spam with that, too. It has already been posted there: https://freevps.us/thread-16133.html

Geez...

Thanked by 3netomx Aga ucxo
  • @Hidden_Refuge said:
    This is old news. And this forum only supports HTML/Markdown (this aint phpBB/MyBB/vB or similar). A source from where you copied that would be nice.

"installed on over 90% of computers" - In their dreams maybe...

Nice to see you came over to FreeVPS.us to spam with that, too. It has already been posted there: https://freevps.us/thread-16133.html

Geez...

Hi, i didnt realize this had already been posted on freevps.us
    source is here: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/microsoft-confirms-there-will-be-no-windows-11-1293309

didnt realise i could post links.

yes 90% maybe in the dreams because of this: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0 however i would imagine those with windows 7 have now updated to windows 10 as it was free?

• AgaAga Member

Hidden_Refuge said: "installed on over 90% of computers" - In their dreams maybe...

It's always a matter of [re]defining the right terms, if you think that a

• Apple product is a MacWhatever, so it's not a computer
    • A Chromebook it's also not a computer
    • Any single-board is also not a computer

Then it's just a matter of counting how many computers ships with Windows, and how many ships with something else.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • There is and will be only one "10 Commandment" and there will be no "11 Commandment" :P

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

GNULinux said: So, is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

Depends. Theoretically, from a software engineering point of view, it is a good idea. In practice, however, Microsoft is just going to use it as an excuse to force changes down your throat, the same way Facebook and other online services already do.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • colingptcolingpt Member
    edited October 2015

Old news still can attract people replying...

nothing is eternal. only thing we will see is a several years win10 and people get bored, and you get "windows someting else" which is another last version :P

I think this is kind of change of business model, they want people to subscribe windows as office 356, so they must need a consistent name for it. Don't think windows 10 is good enough....

• Even Microsoft can't read the future. Their plan for now may be to not move past 10, but even they can't speak for what circumstances will demand 20 or 30 years from now. Things change quickly.

• Of course there won't be Windows 11. The way Microsoft counts, the next version will probably be called Windows 2.

• AgaAga Member

GoMutant said: Their plan for now may be to not move past 10

This ^... like the removal of the start menu.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Yes, old news, but it's all marketing. They are supposed to be going to a subscription model for OS updates. Curious what that's going to cost!?!

• oneilonline said: They are supposed to be going to a subscription model for OS updates. Curious what that's going to cost!?!

That's the time to move back to the penguin world, rather than being enslaved on a monthly basis :)

Thanked by 2netomx 4n0nx
  • From now on companies are just going to screw us over with cloud bullshit, DRM, restrictive licenses, high (regional) pricing. (see @vRozenSch00n 's and @oneilonline 's post above me lol)

I switched to Ubuntu on my laptop and I am not missing anything. Quite the contrary, actually :)

In my humble opinion, Microsoft should have left Windows the way it was (7) and added an "app store" to the start menu (where it says "Control Panel" etc.), with a shortcut in the task bar.

• Skynet is coming.

4n0nx said: From now on companies are just going to screw us over with cloud bullshit, DRM, restrictive licenses, high (regional) pricing. (see @vRozenSch00n 's and @oneilonline 's post above me lol)

Turn off dash search at least. Please. Why not debian? y u no debian ...

4n0nx said: I switched to Ubuntu on my laptop and I am not missing anything. Quite the contrary, actually :)

In my opinion, mickeysoft won't publish win11, might do win13 instead, which will be another fail.

They just can't put down the old habits of recycling trash OS-s every 2 major OS releases, like vista and 8 were.

And they're churning out server 2016 soon. Is that going to be the last server os as well? Even in 2345?

4n0nx said: In my humble opinion, Microsoft should have left Windows the way it was (7) and added an "app store" to the start menu (where it says "Control Panel" etc.), with a shortcut in the task bar.

• @joepie91 said:
    Depends. Theoretically, from a software engineering point of view, it is a good idea. In practice, however, Microsoft is just going to use it as an excuse to force changes down your throat, the same way Facebook and other online services already do.

That's one way to look at it.

The way I see it this move could enable a more rapid release model for companies. I still have to use Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 at the company I work for, and Windows 7 and Office 2010 at the company where I'm currently "deployed" as a consultant. When you have a rolling release model you make updates easier for these companies and it may help people run the latest software.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

Sure... But instead of service packs it'll be 10.1 10.2 etc

• GM2015 said: Turn off dash search at least. Please. Why not debian? y u no debian ...

software too outdated and I think I had problems with "closed source" stuff like codecs :( wifi may not have worked either, I don't remember

• When Microsoft makes windows a subscription modal, is when I'll be moving to something else. I'm just not ready to use Ubuntu or something similar as my main OS.

• What?

For firefox/iceweasel, http://mozilla.debian.net/ is all you need.

Everything I found so far has a workaround with debian. Except windows games I found as malware in linux isos some nasty provider must have infested my laptop with.

4n0nx said: software too outdated

• A: I can't get your application to run ...

B: Which operating system are you using?

A: Windows

B: Which version of Windows?

A: Windows 10

B: When did you last update?

A: I can't remember, but updating is broken currently as well.

B: Well great ...

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@mpkossen said:
    The way I see it this move could enable a more rapid release model for companies. I still have to use Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 at the company I work for, and Windows 7 and Office 2010 at the company where I'm currently "deployed" as a consultant. When you have a rolling release model you make updates easier for these companies and it may help people run the latest software.

Right. That's the theoretical advantage. The problem is that Microsoft has repeatedly shown that they cannot be trusted with a model like this, and their users are going to draw the short stick in the end.

• iRepkoiRepko Member
    edited October 2015

EDIT: Nevermind

• @joepie91 said:
    Right. That's the theoretical advantage. The problem is that Microsoft has repeatedly shown that they cannot be trusted with a model like this, and their users are going to draw the short stick in the end.

Well, let's see what they can do now.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited October 2015

Even if there is no Windows 11 there will be something with some other name.

My favorite windows version is Windows 93.

Confused? - Just google it.

• @iRepko said:
    EDIT: Nevermind

You quoted me?

• GNULinux said: Microsoft says that Windows 10 will be its final release of the iconic operating system

It's iconic alright.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

I think this is mostly a bad thing.

With the way they were doing it before, you could "skip" on a bad update like Vista. If it's continuous, kind of like how Facebook rolls out their updates, then it will just force gradual change on people - change that may not even be an improvement. I guess it really depends on if they're going to keep every update as just "Windows 10" and it's extremely continuous or if they'll distinguish the updates every 6 months / year as "Windows 10: El Capitan"

I'm more interested on whether this means Windows Server 2016 will be the last release as well?

• many years back. microsoft said the same about IE6.0. This is the last version of IE bla bla.. and now you know... i see this is just a marketing statement which translates to:

this is THE final version.. and its free... jump in now.. the boat wont come again next year..