Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DediServe dropped out China optimized route
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DediServe dropped out China optimized route

lifehomelifehome Member
edited October 2015 in Providers

Subject: Important Notice Concerning Direct China Network Link

Hi,

You are receiving this mail as you are currently listed as having a direct china network link on your Hong kong server

Unfortunately due to lack of demand this network is to be fully removed from your server and our network on 5th November 2015

Spooky they restarted all my machines again for rebuilding the network, why so? Are they catching up before the next bill comes? Anyway, I don't even know where to go for HK VPS... God knows when my daemons are dead again cuz some notices will never be sent.

Comments

• You should stop recommending them then. Am I glad I did not rely on this....

• dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep

lifehome said: Unfortunately due to lack of demand this network

Don't think the demand for China optimized route low, it's their price policy failed them.

• Go with one if the SoftLayer hosts, they have direct China connections in HK.

HostUS/HostHatch for OVZ

HostWithLinux for KVM

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • heh, 10Mbit shared BW was not interesting for most i guess and did not attract the required 500$+/Month to finance it.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @bryce I just stopped. It was way too disappointing but hard to get out of them. And @dearroy got the point, the China-route price is just... :meh:

@PetaByet Might try with HostWithLinux for KVM, OVZ seems not a good fit to me. But still the current offer by dediserve can't be beaten by someone else, for short term I guess. (It's cheap. That's all I can say, but I guess that comes with a price huh?)

@William It's unmetered, but shared? Never heard of that and I wish I was not in their pipe.

• Doesn't Conoha as well? ... seemed like they did when I last used their VPS, some 1/2 year ago, anyway..

• Hi.I have hongkong softlayer kvm vps.You can contact me.

• @zevus Have heard bad words from my friends, but not really experienced with'em.

@cyberform Replied, but I guess it can't go lowend for Softlayer? They're like sucking money with fine equipment.

• @zevus said:
    Doesn't Conoha as well? ... seemed like they did when I last used their VPS, some 1/2 year ago, anyway..

If some dog attacked u and u get nulled, conoha will not unblock it! They'll just kick u away...

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    If some dog attacked u and u get nulled, conoha will not unblock it! They'll just kick u away...

Dog Denial of Service?

• @Nekki said:
    Dog Denial of Service?

Yes, DDoS...

If a null route happens, then you need to pack your data and... say bye to Conoha.

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    If a null route happens, then you need to pack your data and... say bye to Conoha.

Could you distract with meat?

• @Nekki said:
    Could you distract with meat?

Bones.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    Bones.

I have a massive one.

• @dearroy said:
    Don't think the demand for China optimized route low, it's their price policy failed them.

+1

• PetaByet said: Go with one if the SoftLayer hosts, they have direct China connections in HK.

Yea... for now. I don't think that will last at current direct China pricing even for large corps like SL or LW.

• colingptcolingpt Member
    edited October 2015

@PetaByet said:
    Go with one if the SoftLayer hosts, they have direct China connections in HK.

HostUS/HostHatch for OVZ

HostWithLinux for KVM

Have tried one month HostUS 256mb plan several weeks ago. it is good in terms of the price, only problem is that bandwidth was running so quickly. I don't even use it and 500gb ran out. Honestly, that is the first time I run out of bandwidth since I use vps and with no reason... Maybe I was hacked? haha

Tried HostHatch yearly plan for 2 or 3 days. Their CPU is limited because of "fair share"...around 500mhz. UnixBench gave score around 500. Other than this, the most important thing to force me to refund is their ticket support. They only reply once per day at 18:00 ETC. I am short temper and my previous providers like ramnode, vultr, hostus and DO normally will give feedback in hours, so.... by the way, I pay yearly because they had a promotion said will double RAM, but when I requested the double, it took one day. Then I found it just changed the label in the client panel not actual in the node, then I sent a ticket, one day more.... it doubled, I tested how much it was overselled by some scripts, you ofc can guess the result (don't upset, it is common)... then one day more... cancelled. I would say thanks, at least I get money back without any problem and doubt.

For the last one... "Famous" HostWithLinux... I didn't use it, actually I almost placed the order. Fortunately, I did a little bit research before that. Too much complains about it in terms of no ticket response, don't refund, cancel service without notifying and explanation, too much overselling to even boot up a ovz.... however, I can see their staff "linuxthefish" everywhere in this forum. Just curious why he doesn't reply customers first before surfing here? Also, the person who was cancelled without reason (as he claimed) requested a paypal case to get the money back, after that, he was banned by SpeedyKvm (another now provider who I was interested in before) because of "having history of open a paypel dispute", don't know if that is true. But anyway, things about hostwithlinux is just what I heard from another forum, you make your decision....

I have been here for searching affordable and quality hong kong vps for a while. It seems impossible to get what US vps like, because of high cost of bandwidth (and land price maybe? haha). As said, we pay what we get, otherwise, just deserve an unhappy experience.

That's my experience, hopefully may help you and anyone who is looking for the same thing like you and me.

Thanked by 2bersy lifehome
  • @William said:
    Yea... for now. I don't think that will last at current direct China pricing even for large corps like SL or LW.

You can never drain enough funds off IBM :).

@colingpt said:
    That's my experience, hopefully may help you and anyone who is looking for the same thing like you and me.

Nice to hear, you could always upgrade packages with HostUS I believe.

• @PetaByet said:
    Nice to hear, you could always upgrade packages with HostUS I believe.

yeah, I know that, and things with HostUS are good, and I even would like to buy their $10/y node to try. Only problem is the wired bandwidth consuming..

• @colingpt said:
    yeah, I know that, and things with HostUS are good, and I even would like to buy their $10/y node to try. Only problem is the wired bandwidth consuming..

@AlexanderM should be able to help.

• where's @dediserve he usually fast to respond here.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • PetaByet said: You can never drain enough funds off IBM :).

Just because IBM has a lot of money and SL has a lot of locations to cross-finance it does not mean they want to/can do minus - They are after all responsible to investors. Even the "list price" of 50$/TB (thus 16$/Mbit) does not cover direct China and BARELY asian BW (if we assume SL has enough volume, which is likely).

• As per the emails we sent out uptake in this service was simply too low to justify it. We had contracted 100mbps and were delivering 10mbps unmetered for just $15 !! Quite an amazing subsidized price in our view.

However the demand was not there in our core base and the LeT base simply thought $15 too expensive (despite the transit coating us a lot more than that per Mbps)

On balance and after consultation with some of the larger users we had to remove the service.

Any customers do feel free to pm or reply to your ticket if you need more details. We regret having to pull a service but it was simply unviable.

Thanked by 2vimalware NanoG6
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

dediserve said: However the demand was not there in our core base and the LeT base simply thought $15 too expensive (despite the transit coating us a lot more than that per Mbps)

No demand? I find this hard to believe. A very good portion of our clients all want China bandwidth. A premium is required for the most part as the costs are just too high. And getting more bandwidth is no piknik either given the long contract terms.

Any way, point is, even when selling China route at US$150 /mbit /month, there is a considerable amount of demand in the HK region. If you are selling 10M for $15, then how can you NOT get demand. I don't get it. Something doesn't add up here.

dediserve said: On balance and

after consultation with some of the larger users we had to remove the service.

If your cost are not high, having good China bw is always a good idea if any of your clients have CN audiences. Even if it IS underutilized. At $15 per 10M, cheap enough to keep your 100M no?

• well bottom line is, it wasn't working out. Majority of the user here all sought after cheapest price, where 7$ is too much for most.

Thanked by 2netomx dediserve
  • randvegeta said: If you are selling 10M for $15, then how can you NOT get demand. I don't get it. Something doesn't add up here.

10Mbit shared. Simple as that. No contention ratio stated, no burst, no amount of users on this link noted either - Rarely people will buy, as we say in German, the "cat in the bag", especially if it costs almost as much as the entire VPS (or even more).

• maoyipengmaoyipeng Member
    edited October 2015

btw,dediserve only provide API access to "partners" and that's not very good.(while solusvm give every client an api access)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2015

Whenever someone drops a china optimized route, a sad unicorn in a parallel universe cries. This is the guilt that the dediserve people will have to deal with during their whole lifes now.

Thanked by 2Junkless netomx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2015

Amitz said: a sad unicorn

Do you mean chinaunicorn?

Thanked by 3Amitz netomx William
  • rm_ said: Do you mean chinaunicorn?

I guess they could not care less what dediserve does or does not.
    And probably that special unicorn rather makes people cry instead of crying itself. :-)