Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to get ARIN IPv6 space?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how to get ARIN IPv6 space?

Recent threads indicate that I should ideally be using ARIN IP space (with my RIPE ASN) rather than RIPE IP space.

Is there a reasonably inexpensive way to get ARIN IPv6 space that can be announced (I don't care about PI vs PA distinctions). In terms of quantity, I need 2-3 /48s for now.

Comments

• What? You shouldn't be using ARIN space on your RIPE ASN, as far as I know.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Why not? As long as the space is used according to ARIN policy.

• @patrick7 said:
    Why not? As long as the space is used according to ARIN policy.

Hmm.. Okay, didn't know that.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2015

I am not sure how one would create a route object tieing ARIN IP space with a RIPE ASN. And a route object is highly desirable, as many ISPs would not automatically update their prefix filters unless you have a route object.

edit: i read now it's for ipv6. For ipv6 most ISPs don't care to filter for now and accept whatever you announce to them. So probably wouldn't be such a big problem if you don't have a route6 object. Still it's better to have it if possible.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@rds100 we have transit with Level3, GTT and NTT as well as some Tier-2 backup carriers. Each of this session for IPv6 is filtered, and the Tier-1 sessions are dynamically filtered based on route objects, as-sets and as import and export policies. Same as for IPv4.

You do t need the route record though. You can send LOA's, it just takes more time to get the filters updated manually.

• @Clouvider ok, so the real ISPs do filter for ipv6 too. But for instance he.net doesn't filter (or doesn't filter aggressively) - they accept almost anything you announce to them. Source: we peer with then over an IX. And he.net is like 70% of "the ipv6 internet" for now.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • rds100 said: ok, so the real ISPs do filter for ipv6 too

Oh, come on, HE is a "real ISP". Maybe not Tier 1, but still an ISP.

rds100 said: But for instance he.net doesn't filter (or doesn't filter aggressively) - they accept almost anything you announce to them.

Sounds dubious. Why would they damage their reputation like that? And how did you even find this out o_O

@rds100 IX sessions is another story. Usually IX sessions aren't filtered, which, from time to time, causes issues.

Thanked by 1singsing

Maybe @William here ?

• Just looked up the cost of becoming a LIR with ARIN, and it's at least $1000/yr for a /36 ... yeah I think I might continue to use RIPE IP space for now ...

It's so nice to live in the RIOE region, isn't it :)?