Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you get ipv6 space?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you get ipv6 space?

Hello all,

i was reading this thread lowendtalk.com/discussion/66833/any-sponsoring-lir-member-of-apnic-who-offer-as-number-ip and it peaked my interest into geting my own routable ipv6 address space. Im currently setting up a hosting company (low volume sites atm with hopes to expand) and want to learn more about it. Would be ace to be able to say im ipv6 covered from the start!

Sorry if im being dumb and its easy to get but building knowledge cant harm :)

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015
  • patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR
    edited October 2015

Hi

If you are in the RIPE region, you can ask any LIR for PA or PI space.

The advantage of PA space:

• Mostly cheaper than PI

• Does not require that much justification

• You can create more specific's in the RIPE db

• You are allowed to create sub assignments (customers, as an example)

Disadvantages of PA space:

• Is "bound" to the LIR

• Is not yours (means, the LIR could revoke it)

Advantages of PI space:

• Is yours

• Can be moved to any LIR

Disadvantages of PI space:

• You are not allowed to sub assign any of the PI space

• You cannot create more specifics in the RIPE DB

• It requires a lot of documentation if you request more than /48.

I hope that helps :-)

Regards
    Patrick

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

patrick7 said: You are allowed to create sub assignments (customers, as an example)

• If you are a LIR. Only LIRs are allowed to allocate the space to end users.
  • @patrick7 Im based in the uk so im assuming RIPE covers that.

@GM2015 said:
    contact william , he's got https://ip6.im n' https://ip6.im/recommended-isp.html

So im assuming i could sign up with him and get a routable address space that i could say to my isp hey i got this address range please send traffic to here?

You know any decent resources i can look at to get my head around all this. Would like to know more :)

Isn't the "ALLOCATED-BY-LIR" status to sub allocate the space to a downstream network so that they can create more specifics for their customers?

• @patrick7 said:
    Isn't the "ALLOCATED-BY-LIR" status to sub allocate the space to a downstream network so that they can create more specifics for their customers?

Yes, that's correct.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

@ginner159 said:
    So im assuming i could sign up with him and get a routable address space that i could > say to my isp hey i got this address range please send traffic to here?

Sure but you're going to have to pay your ISP for that. Maybe an arm and a leg.

Some ISPs offer that as a free service :-)

• https://ip6.im/

https://w.ip6.im/registry:request_free_pa_ipv6_space

https://w.ip6.im/registry:request_pi_ipv6_space

patrick7 said: It requires a lot of documentation if you request more than /48.

hell, not even that - I tried 4 weeks to get a measly /46 for a customer with 4 EU locations (so exactly one /48 per location, as required by BGP anyway) and as you can guess... zero chance. RIPE just continued to ask more and more stupid questions, at the end after verification of some upstreams (by mail) and datacenters (had to give them address and contact info) they demanded the customer to have a P2P link between the locations, at that point i withdrew the req and just assigned him PA. I don't understand why they make it so complicated; my guess is so you sign up as LIR yourself and pay that sweet 1600EUR/yr.

ginner159 said: So im assuming i could sign up with him and get a routable address space that i could say to my isp hey i got this address range please send traffic to here?

Sure. I just assign you up to a /44 and you either announce them on your own BGP or have a DC/ISP announce it for you, you can also see some ISPs on the website that do it for a small setup fee (or free, like Nforce and Clouvider).

patrick7 said: Isn't the "ALLOCATED-BY-LIR" status to sub allocate the space to a downstream network so that they can create more specifics for their customers?

Yep, not sure where @Clouvider got from that a end-user/non-LIR must get space as ASSIGNED (as opposed to ALLOCATED-BY-LIR or LEGACY, which allow sub-assignments) - Never had complains about it either.

v4 equivalent is SUB-ALLOCATED PA by the way, which serves the same purpose.

tomle said: Sure but you're going to have to pay your ISP for that. Maybe an arm and a leg.

Depends, on VPS or Dedi likely yes - Also likely on business DSL/Fiber/etc (unlikely to get at all on non-business). Colo above 1/4th rack should at least offer free announce or just for a very low setup fee; i see that as a pretty standard service and actually a benefit for the ISP that can save IPs if a customer uses their own.

Thanked by 1ginner159

@rmlhhd, @William agree with you.

Last time I was reading this policy several years back it seemed to be the problem. Now it looks like it isn't. thanks for spotting :).

• thanks guys! So it seems its pretty simple if i use one of you as a "sponsor" or via ip6.im since ive not had any allocation at all before do you think its wise to get an ASN ??

@ginner159 only if you want to do BGP yourself :)

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • dont think im quite ready for that yet :(

Then you could learn with projects like dn43.

@ginner159 said:
    dont think im quite ready for that yet :(

Well, if you just have a subnet and ask your provider to do the routing it is as easy as deploying standard IPv6 subnet (from your point of view).

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • @patrick7 said:
    Then you could learn with projects like dn43.

You have a link? Not sure what you mean :/

Sorry, I mean dn42: https://dn42.net/Home

Thanked by 1ginner159