Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

True 10Gbps Speed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

True 10Gbps Speed

Has anyone been to a provider that has actually provided the 10Gbps speed? I've been to two providers already and they never seemed to be able to do it.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

How much were you paying with them ?

• @Clouvider said:
    How much were you paying with them ?

Around $500

• @iRepko said:
    Has anyone been to a provider that has actually provided the 10Gbps speed? I've been to two providers already and they never seemed to be able to do it.

Depends where your trying to get 10Gbps to, just because you have a 10Gbps port does not mean the destination of the data can support 10Gbps or the route from A->B.

It would be impossible for any network to guarantee 10Gbps to an random destination.

• I was trying multiple different places. I even went and bought like 6 linodes in different locations and tried different test. I actually tried with multiple providers.

• Steven_FSteven_F Member
    edited October 2015

10 Gbps of bandwidth is (not including the cost of staff and hardware) at a minimum $5,000 a month in bandwidth. When you're paying anything less, don't except to actually get 10 Gbps sustained. I'm assuming you used FDC. FDC is like 3 Gbps guaranteed and 10 Gbps burstable.

That might be the problem.

10Gbps transit is way more expensive that that, so I guess your providers were overselling (much). The cheapest transit carrier, HE.net, offers 10Gb for $3200 USD at the moment.
    http://he.net/ip_transit/?l=IP_Transit:_10_Gbps&a=78652754473&n=g&pos=1t1&p=&t=&m=p&k=10 gbps&gclid=CjwKEAjwwbyxBRCS74T049iEp0wSJACkO5v1heWBYHiRWgqcOD3B8Tuu2vuBiO_Kw0M41G2pdbLYzBoCmivw_wcB

You need to up your budget to get real dedicated 10Gb pipe.

• iRepko said: Around $500

Up your budget to around $5000/month and you might get closer to 10Gbps.

I think He.net is $3200/Month for 10Gbps.

• I actually didn't use FDC servers though they we're looked at as being one of our providers.\

• Matt. You used CC via MSP. I thought Nick told you it wasnt 10gbit in the end?

• iRepkoiRepko Member
    edited October 2015

Oh no. Nicholas told me that it was 10Gbps which it never reached, though it reached around like 2. I laughed in the end because I only got two weeks of use on it and then he blamed it on me that it was down. So I paid $500 for two weeks.

EDIT: I also bought one from QuadIX. (Don't be losers and say they suck. I had used them for about 3 months previously and they worked just fine without down time.)

@rds100 said:
    rds100 said: Up your budget to around $5000/month and you might get closer to 10Gbps.

That would be more like it, considering the routing equipment costs, potential L2 to HE.net, server costs, etc.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Keep in mind you also need the hardware power to push 10gbps

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

Awmusic12635 said: Keep in mind you also need the hardware power to push 10gbps

eh, i can serve you 40G on Nginx with some tuned TCP settings on a cheap i3 (can't use Atom, not due to CPU speed but due to lack of enough PCIe lanes for a 40GE card :p) :)

Anyway, 10G with sub 300TB traffic levels (1Gbit, 10%) is simply not economical for the DC as they have to commit around 10% of port speed to get it from their upstream - Thus, if you use/pay less they can't keep spare capacity for your link and it is thus shared.

Expect to pay around 500-1000$ for 1G on 10G in EU/US - 10G on 10G 4000$-10000$, HE the cheapest obviously, followed by Cogent.

• @iRepko said:

I've heard that FDC is good, as long as you don't expect 10 Gbps all the time. Not from experience, but I've heard that you can expect to push 3 - 5 Gbps most of the time.

• another funny joke .

• @iRepko said:
    Oh no. Nicholas told me that it was 10Gbps which it never reached, though it reached around like 2. I laughed in the end because I only got two weeks of use on it and then he blamed it on me that it was down. So I paid $500 for two weeks.

EDIT: I also bought one from QuadIX. (Don't be losers and say they suck. I had used them for about 3 months previously and they worked just fine without down time.)

My bad. Robin ordered a 10Gbps server and his wasnt 10, only 2gbps.

• What about vultr? https://www.vultr.com/pricing/ at bottom. During my trial with a windows vm in New York, network speeds weren't that great.

• @William said:

eh, i can serve you 40G on Nginx with some tuned TCP settings on a cheap i3 (can't use Atom, not due to CPU speed but due to lack of enough PCIe lanes for a 40GE card :p) :)

Anyway, 10G with sub 300TB traffic levels (1Gbit, 10%) is simply not economical for the DC as they have to commit around 10% of port speed to get it from their upstream - Thus, if you use/pay less they can't keep spare capacity for your link and it is thus shared.
    Expect to pay around 500-1000$ for 1G on 10G in EU/US - 10G on 10G 4000$-10000$, HE the cheapest obviously, followed by Cogent.

It still depends on the peering and routing system of the upstream though. (but I do suggest Cogent, they're cheap and way better than HE imo)

• little of topic...anyone know any LET VPS provider with 10G ?

edited October 2015

@noaman said:
    little of topic...anyone know any LET VPS provider with 10G ?

Dedicated :>?

• @William said:

so you can setup ngix with 40GB network ?

• OVH do 10gbps

• @clouvider
    No...VPS...

@noaman said:
    clouvider
    No...VPS...

Dedicated 10Gbps...?

• @iRepko said:

He's a salesman. Not sure why you would actually believe you were getting dedicated 10G for $500/mo.

• @Jonchun said:
    He's a salesman. Not sure why you would actually believe you were getting dedicated 10G for $500/mo.

Yes, let's blame the customer for getting suckered and forget that the salesman lied in his face.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

yhuza said: so you can setup ngix with 40GB network ?

With this test specs yes:

Minus ethernet, network card, kernel, HTTP overhead like 35Gbps on a single 40Gbit port - Nginx 1.9.* serving static file from cache (configured in RAM) or RAM disk (by OS) from *BSD.

Maximum i did see was ~18G on 2 bonded 10G ports serving ~1000 different 700-1500MB files (the joys of a filehoster :p) from Nginx cache (first req from backend at 1G) @ limited 10Mbit each, load was very low (144GB RAM, Dual L5520, Intel dual port 10G SFP network card, 4x500G SSDs in RAID0 as feeder on full RAM (~1300MB/s read IO)).

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @deadbeef said:
    Yes, let's blame the customer for getting suckered and forget that the salesman lied in his face.

That's what Nick does.

Thanked by 2Jonchun deadbeef
  • Keep in mind you can't really run a single threaded test on the Internet for 10Gbps, you need more specialized testing to determine if your limitations are remote or local. I don't see a single shred of testing I would consider statistically valid here.

That being said, for $500 you are clearly not going to be getting a 10Gbps dedicated connection, regardless of what color a salesperson is able to convince you the sky is.

• Salesman? He tells me he's more than that but not always so sure. I didn't expect to get a full 10Gbps port but I at least expected to get 5. As people said you could get with FDCServers.