Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any sponsoring LIR member of APNIC who offer AS number/IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any sponsoring LIR member of APNIC who offer AS number/IP

indiavpsindiavps Member
edited October 2015 in General

There are many sponsoring LIR at RIPE NCC facilitates an End User / Company obtaining independent Internet resources directly from the RIPE NCC. Are there any similar sponsoring LIR member of APNIC ? Will APNIC be expensive compare to ARIN / RIPE NCC

Comments

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

You can contact NIR member of APNIC instead.
    Yes APNIC is much more expensive. IP and the bandwidth, indeed. 7 NIRs are available https://www.apnic.net/services/become-a-member/manage-your-membership/transfer-resources/nir-ipv4-transfer

Thanked by 1indiavps
  • Hostus has APNIC IPs / ASN https://my.hostus.us/cart.php?gid=14

Not sure if APNIC has 'sponsoring LIR'.

Thanked by 1indiavps
  • @winnervps
    Thank you, I checked few NIR portals the setup fee are very high and complex formalities compared to that of a general RIPE NCC sponsoring LIR.

@PetaByet
    Thank you, I will check with them. Yes, it seems there are no Sponsoring LIR for APNIC.

• You CAN get APNIC ASNs, they are in the middle pricing range (LACNIC is at 1000$ the most expensive one).

RIPE is far easier, between 50-150EUR one-time and essentially just one signature and sending your passport/company documents.

https://w.ip6.im/registry:request_asn

Thanked by 2netomx indiavps
  • William said: RIPE is far easier, between 50-150EUR one-time and essentially just one signature and sending your passport/company documents.

Do you know what the cheapest AS registration is? I'm tempted to experiment with BGP and ASNs but I can't be bothered to fork over 100 EUR for the experience.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

@jphost said:
    winnervps
    Thank you, I checked few NIR portals the setup fee are very high and complex formalities compared to that of a general RIPE NCC sponsoring LIR.

The cost will be slightly higher than the one listed in the portal. None will give you a clue on how it is going to be precisely. That's why it will be another very expensive regardless the formalities you've sent them. To transfer, ARIN to APNIC is possible, but again, the link I given to you shown there is sort of formalities, and again none will give you a clue on how it will succeed. In other words, they are expensive as they are at emerging markets and countries. Hope you get the point.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited October 2015

@Gunter said:
    Do you know what the cheapest AS registration is? I'm tempted to experiment with BGP and ASNs but I can't be bothered to fork over 100 EUR for the experience.

Ask around, there are plenty of people who are willing to do a deal if you supply all the information at once for them to do it really quickly :)

It's worth noting that

"ASNs can be used worldwide. " may be true, but I am relatively sure that the IPv4/6 space cannot be used worldwide?

• so if i have an ASN from RIPE or ARIN, i dont need to have another in other region?

with that can work with any block from LACNIC, ARIN, etc

• @dedicados said:
    so if i have an ASN from RIPE or ARIN, i dont need to have another in other region?

with that can work with any block from LACNIC, ARIN, etc

From my somewhat limited knowledge, I believe that IP space from specific regions can only be used on their ASN space.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • Gunter said: Do you know what the cheapest AS registration is?

https://my.hostus.us/cart.php?gid=14

$10 setup + $6 a month or 35 a yr sounds pretty cheap for learning it all.

Pretty sure you could contact them for some better pricing if need be.

• edited October 2015

I register RIPE ASNs for a one time 50 Euro, +VAT if applicable, Setup-Fee.

Currently the RIPE NCC does not charge LIRs for any ASNs. Should the RIPE NCC start charging again for ASNs I will charge 20% on top of whatever the RIPE NCC is charging.

Since I am a LIR there is no entity between myself and your ASN request via the RIPE NCC.

Thanked by 1indiavps
  • 0xdragon said: "ASNs can be used worldwide. " may be true, but I am relatively sure that the IPv4/6 space cannot be used worldwide?

(My) PA can be used worldwide, PI can be used worldwide if you are inside RIPE region - If you are outside in can only be used inside the RIPE region.

dedicados said: so if i have an ASN from RIPE or ARIN, i dont need to have another in other region?

No, you can use it anywhere (not recommended but no one cares currently; rules are not clear either).

Admiral_Awesome said: Since I am a LIR there is no entity between myself and your ASN request via the RIPE NCC.

Same, also for AFRINIC and APNIC, for LACNIC i use another ISP.

• @William to confirm we can use APNIC and RIPE in ARIN and vise versa?

• William said: APNIC

Regarding APNIC, do you need to pay a yearly fee to continue to have the ASN like at HostUS?

• 28Tom said: @William to confirm we can use APNIC and RIPE in ARIN and vise versa?

APNIC ASNs/IP Space can be used outside APNIC region IF you are yourself inside APNIC area (did not know that either until some weeks ago), RIPE IP space the same. RIPE ASNs are, by rules, not restricted.

0xdragon said: Regarding APNIC, do you need to pay a yearly fee to continue to have the ASN like at HostUS?

Yea, well, i'm not 100% sure on that either - I only hold 3 APNIC ASNs currently as i feed the need from RIPE (cuz RIPE == Free, APNIC == Unclear). Guide/Rules say:

The fees for existing Non-Members requesting additional ASNs will be assessed on an annual basis as part of the total address holdings of the Non-Member.

But i was never able to locate a real price for it - From what i understand it is 100AUD/yr.

Thanked by 1singsing
  • @William thanks for that :) clears up a ton

• Also @William got anything in writing from APNIC that confirms that. Upstream wants proof

• New Non-Members requesting only ASNs will pay the Basic Non-Member Fee of AUD 575 and a sign-up fee of AUD 575.

• 28Tom said: Also @William got anything in writing from APNIC that confirms that. Upstream wants proof

Nope, but you can contact them yourself - be very persistent though, i got differing answers from L1 support and the Policy workgroup while the later is authoritative over it in the end.

Also, if your upstream cares about the policy of your ASN issuer you should quickly get a new one - That is exactly none of their business at all and i would never do business with such a company (like, seriously, what do they loose if the ASN is used out of region? One config line to remove/replace it later? i don't get the issue, not like they get fined by anyone or that it is hijacked...)

Thanked by 228Tom Clouvider
  • Thank you very much.

@William please let me confirm my understanding for RIPE NCC from the discussion.

AS number: Any organization worldwide can get AS number from RIPE NCC, and can use any where as per rules (as you said recommended is in RIPE NCC region)

IP Resources: RIPE NCC region members can use allotted resource any where in world (even outside RIPE NCC region). Non RIPE region members who hold RIPE IP resource can only use them in RIPE region.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

When I signed up for a LIR, I had to confirm to not use the ressources outside RIPE region.

• jphost said: AS number: Any organization worldwide can get AS number from RIPE NCC, and can use any where as per rules (as you said recommended is in RIPE NCC region)

Again: The rules on ASNs are not clear - It COULD be revoked for usage outside the RIPE region, this just likely never happens.

patrick7 said: When I signed up for a LIR, I had to confirm to not use the ressources outside RIPE region.

While true the RIPE NCC routinely approves assignments for US and other countries if your LIR is based within the RIPE service region - Check these, one a year old, the other more actual, both for USA:

https://imgur.com/a/7JNIc

edited October 2015

Just because the netname contains "-US" or "-LOSANGELES", that does not mean that the network will be used there. I think these mails are the confirmation that you are allow to assign a network of this size ;-)

I also cannot find any assignments from a Lichtenstein-LIR which contains "-LOSANGELES".

http://imgur.com/pa0XSYF

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

You... what?

Were you even LIR at all before the last /8 rules came into effect? Procedure back then was that you had to send in PA assignment forms to RIPE for the first ~/20 after signup, these contained full network information just like a normal PA ALLOC request (that does not exist now anymore either, you can basically fill the request for the last /8 /22 with bs and still get it): Datacenter, Equipment used, Location, Upstream, End user, Network setup.

RIPE then verified that you are assigning in accordance with the rules currently in force.

Thus yes, this assignments WERE verified as allowed to be used in the US by RIPE - I have that in writing. I also have many other of these tickets for EDIS (at.edisgmbh) locations in HK, US, Chile as well as pre approvals for locations that never came into effect (like Africa and Canada).

My primary LIR moved from LiEchtenstein to UK in 2014 (LI AG -> UK LTD) and from UK to AT in 2015 (UK LTD -> AT KG), thus it is now obviously listed here:
    https://www.ripe.net/membership/indices/AT.html

edited October 2015

No I was not LIR before the /8 rule, but was working for an LIR.
    Why do you still have EDIS documents/mails/tickets? Isn't that confidential material which should be destroyed after terminating employement?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

patrick7 said: Why do you still have EDIS documents/mails/tickets?

who says i have them now? I implied they exist and i had access to them at one point (hell, i wrote them after all!), nothing else - The locations listed are public knowledge (because they either exist or i talked about it in my official function before) and thus not any kind of secret or confidential either.

The forms and all mail replies are stored in the LIR portal and EDIS can get them from there, which they would probably do on my request. These also do not contain any personal information of anything (and most data in it ends up in RIPE DB public) so are not protected by our data protection laws (that protect end-user data and nothing company internal) and as they don't contain any trade secrets either they are not protected by these laws as well - RIPE also reserves certain rights how they share the content of such tickets which renders the point moot anyway.

I know my rights and our laws very well and don't need education from you on that, all i still have from EDIS is 100% legal in my possession.

Thanked by 3hawc Fusl wrox
    edited October 2015

Well, unfortunately it looks like it's not possible to discuss with you on a normal level.

who says i have them now?

Here you said that you have them:

I also have many other of these tickets for EDIS (at.edisgmbh) locations in HK, US, Chile as well as pre approvals for locations that never came into effect (like Africa and Canada).

The forms and all mail replies are stored in the LIR portal and EDIS can get them from there

Where do you see the full content of your tickets in the LIR portal? I can only see subject, date, time, ticket number.

I know my rights and our laws very well and don't need education from you on that, all i still have from EDIS is 100% legal in my possession.

I only asked a question. At no time I gave you education.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

lol, reducing on semantics due to bad wording in a non native language, alleging things without any proof or even evidence or knowledge how my employment ended, on what terms i am with them and what my contract states, and you say you can't discuss with me on a normal level?

I thought you can see it in lir-portal - Seems either was not the case or removed, never used that feature, i thought the NCC# ticket ID was linked to a history of the ticket. Regardless, you think that changes anything? They are obviously also in the backup of my mailbox, in documentation software, CC to netops and so on - Not like this all just vanished when i left.

I don't see what your point with this postings is at all - You try to discredit me for providing informations here (and even backing that up with proof from my own requests/assignments), sure, but... why? If i had to guess it has surely to do with you being in direct competition with me and my partners in selling RIPE services around here.

See? I can do baseless allegations as well if i want to.

Thanked by 3Fusl IceCream wrox
    edited October 2015

I don't really see what your problem is.

1. I neither try nor do discredit anything you say. If asking (legitim) questions is forbidden now, please let me know.
    2. I didn't say anything about your employement. But it's common practise that employers require to delete all company related data after leaving the company
    3. In the LIR Portal, you see a history. Thats true. But you cannot see the full content.

Regards
    Patrick

• patrick7 said: I neither try nor do discredit anything you say. If asking (legitim) questions is forbidden now, please let me know.

There is "legitimate" and "stupid", a fine line, sure - Also, you are clearly free to post whatever you want, but i can do the same.

patrick7 said: I neither try nor do discredit anything you say.

Sure, sure.

patrick7 said: Just because the netname contains "-US" or "-LOSANGELES", that does not mean that the network will be used there

I wrote the request as obvious by the name in the reply (so you can guess i know what it is used for and what not), you know this mail is authentic from RIPE (as you said in the next post) even though you seem to have no idea what it actually means and what you send to RIPE for it - I see that pretty clearly as a try to either discredit me or make it seem like i'm the idiot here.

patrick7 said: I also cannot find any assignments from a Lichtenstein-LIR which contains "-LOSANGELES".

Again some try to discredit or along this line with me having even said this mails are old, trying to prove a non-existing point - I'm also fairly interested how you compiled a list with all space assigned to LIRs in LI, i doubt it is fully correct. I genuinely lol'd at Liechtenstein without E though, especially from someone young in Europe.

patrick7 said: Why do you still have EDIS documents/mails/tickets? Isn't that confidential material which should be destroyed after terminating employement?

Alleging possibly criminal things, maybe try to discredit me again? Decide yourself.

Thanked by 1wrox