Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ccTLD Pricing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ccTLD Pricing

I am interested in purchasing a fairly new ccTLD (.ky), but it appears that it can only be purchased through uniregistry.com at a price of $40.

Should I expect this price to remain constant for the foreseeable future, or will it likely drop as more domains are sold?

It was just released to the general public last month, if that makes any difference.

Comments

• MrXMrX Member

Being that it's the ccTLD for the Cayman Islands, I wouldn't expect it to drop.

If you hold out, you might find discounts with resellers or special deals by Uniregistry.

I'd say that $40 seems like a pretty reasonable price point for a ccTLD to gain some traction without being overrun by spammers and phishers.

Isn't that where .co started off in its latest (and arguably successful) rebranding attempt? That of course is a more attractive ccTLD, but still.

Thanked by 1grillmaster
  • OK. Thanks for the reply. I may go ahead and buy it. I wasn't sure if all ccTLDs follow a similar pricing scheme.

@MrX Out of curiosity, do you know who controls the pricing for these? Would it be uniregistry or Cayman Islands ICTA?

• @grillmaster said:
    OK. Thanks for the reply. I may go ahead and buy it. I wasn't sure if all ccTLDs follow a similar pricing scheme.

MrX Out of curiosity, do you know who controls the pricing for these? Would it be uniregistry or Cayman Islands ICTA?

Would be a mix of both. Cayman Islands ICTA would charge a certain amount for registering the domain, and Uniregistry would charge a commission on top of that for their registry services.

Thanked by 1grillmaster
  • Gunter said: I wasn't sure if all ccTLDs follow a similar pricing scheme.

No.

Some are solely government owned and provided by usually a university (like .cm, .sj), some are sub-delegated to a company for a owner share of this company (.tv, .at), some are sold for either a percentage of profit or for a single price to a commercial entity.

Pricing varies wildly from around 3EUR to far over 1000EUR.

Thanked by 1grillmaster
  • @William said:
    Pricing varies wildly from around 3EUR to far over 1000EUR.

.ki for example is desirable for some languages to make a "domain hack", too bad it costs 1000USD or more from what I remember.

• nek.ki @Nekki

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015

Cool story.

whois nek.ki
    Your request could not be performed.
    Lookup quota exceeded.

Must be a conspiracy.

4n0nx said: nek.ki @Nekki

Thanked by 14n0nx